Looking for a custom Mark IV Footswitch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmaurer

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been posted before. i've searched everywhere and don't see any kind of related thread.

The FU-3 is obviously a big real-estate taker-upper on my pedalboard and I would love to be able to condense it. is there a common solution to reducing the size of the pedalboard either by modding it or purchasing a specific custom one from the internet?

Pmaurer said:
I apologize if this has been posted before. i've searched everywhere and don't see any kind of related thread.

The FU-3 is obviously a big real-estate taker-upper on my pedalboard and I would love to be able to condense it. is there a common solution to reducing the size of the pedalboard either by modding it or purchasing a specific custom one from the internet?

I don't know of anyone that builds custom ones - doesn't mean there isn't someone.

You could break a little new ground and cut the thing up yourself and make it smaller.

Or....do what I did - get rid of all your pedals and just use the FU-3 and amp alone. Oh the freedom...

Are you into soldering? If so, I think that you could fairly easily make your own footswitch for the amp. I/we here could guide you through it.

So, yeah, if you're into solder, post here and we can start talking about options...

Chip

If you have a midi interface based unit (line 6 M13 or something like that) you could use the mini amp gizmo, if I am not mistaken and have a lot of more options with less footprint.

Dennis

Mesa footswitches are fairly simple internally. Any pedal maker could make you a more compact version. Try searching for someone who specializes in making custom true bypass loopers as they usually have several custom enclosure sizes to work with.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

How are these, should I stay away from them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150756730669+&item=150756730669&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IV-FU-3-Footswitch-Voodooman/380414059956

Also, on that first one with just the two switches. It says the left switch handles both 1 and 2....how can you switch two channels with one switch?

I am fine with soldering if I need to go that route, preferably I would like to keep my FU-3 un-touched in case I ever decide to use it again...

When looking at other people's footswitches, remember that the Mark IV has two different types of switches that can be used:

(1) via the multi-pin connector on the underside of the amp's chasis used by the big footswitch pedal board that came with the amp,

or

(2) via individual footswitches (like the Mark II or Mark III) that plugs in via the 6 discrete jacks on the back of the amp's chasis.

Using the discrete 6 jacks enables the use of way-simpler foot switches like those shown on the eBay links. Using the multi-pin jack on the underside of the chasis requires something more complicated.

Chip

Does that mean that I could get a Mark I, II, or III pedal and it would still work through the use of the individual switching inputs? Or...does it absolutely have to be made for the IV?

Any push on-push off, latching foot switch will do. Boss makes the FS-6, which has two switches in a pedal about 7.5" x 3.5". Yep, there's a battery for the LEDs but it lasts forever. The LEDs are visible in sunlight.

The Mark I/II/III switches may work, but I don't think the LEDs will.

I have the VooDooMan foot switch for my Mark III. It's good, but I think it's a bit fragile and fussy for gig use. The cable emerging from the plug ends is thin and not reinforced (like many such cables) with shrink-wrap. The LEDs are of inconsistent brightness, with one being so bright I had to cover it up with a couple layers of blue painters masking tape to be able to see the pedal at all. The cable snake is hardwired to the pedal and the cable is fairly stiff. It's easily coiled up for transport, but set-up and tear-down can be problematic. What seems to work for me so far is to plug the cables into the amp first, then un-coil the pedal and cable out to my mike stand.

I would ultimately want to have a 3-button footswitch that operates rhy 1 2 and lead individually....so I guess I would be stuck getting that Voodoo man that has the 6 buttons if LEDS probably wouldn't work on an earlier Mark footswitch....

Or, get one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-2-Button-FootSwitch-With-9V-DC-By-Voodooman-/380271079133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5889ec2edd
...And one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Sgle-Latched-Footswitch-W-Battery-Voodooman-/320579290027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa403c3ab

Or better yet, contact Voo Doo Man and ask him to whip you up a single foot switch with three buttons. Either three jacks so you can use your own three cables, or one cable with three plugs like he normally does.
Just go to any of his eBay auctions and click on the "Contact Seller" button.

It's been a while since I had a Mark IV, but if you use those individual jacks on the rear, you may have to hit two switches at once in order to both turn OFF the channel you're in and turn ON the channel you're going to. In other words, if you are playing in R1, stomping "ON" the Lead switch is not going to turn R1 "OFF" at the same time automatically.
You probably need a MIDI controller for that.

I would be willing to customize my current one if that is what I could do using the solder....

Pmaurer said:
Any help on the "soldering" side of things, guys?

soldering what exactly?

Google is your friend simply search "how to solder" text, video, every learning tool you could want short of a live person.

Soldering is a skill that requires a little practice.

Get your soldering irons, your flux, your rosin core solder, and some piece of junk electronic whatever and give it a shot.

u kan dew itt

With regards to soldering up your own footswitch, I've been looking at the Mk IV schematics and the ones on the web always leave out the part about the footswitch. Therefore, I can't tell if the footswitch needs to be on-off or momentary-on. That's an important distinction. It doesn't really affect the design very much, but it changes which parts one buys.

So, without this info, I've backed off on my suggestion that you build your own. If you were more experienced, you could certainly figure it out with a whole lot of messing around and with some probing of the amp, but I don't have a Mark IV, so i can't help you out.

Plus, the pedal approach that I was going to suggest would have resulted in a pedal that looked almost exactly like the ones in the eBay links above. Their prices are pretty darned reasonable. You might save a little dough by building your own compared to these, but I don't think that it's worth it. They look good.

Chip

Voodoo man already makes one. Not cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IV-FU-3-Footswitch-Voodooman-/380414059956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589271e5b4

Latest posts

Back