Looking at a Mark III purple strip, I already have a IIc+.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revgsmall

Reaction score
I can't really afford another IIc+ but I can get a Mark III purple stripe that has been retubed and gone through for a reasonable amount of $$$. I didn't have my old IIc+ to A/B them but I really felt the amp emulated my old Boogie pretty well. Very Smooth, not over the top gain, of which I don't like anyway as I am more in the Carlos Santana/Jeff Beck amount of gain school.

Anybody want to join in on this comparison. I want it mainly as a back up amp or amp when I don't want my IIC+ at risk of getting stolen etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

Love my purple stripe. Had it many happy years of gigging and recording at home.

I did a reverb boost mod and the R2 gain control mod (with a concentric pot on direct out)

Not A/b'd with a IIC+ but I think the R2 channel is very nice and get most use on my amp, esp. with a clean boost.

Since you already have a C+ a MKIII will sound stiffer. If you do the III+ mod it will bring it way closer, but the clean is still a bit sterile in comparison to the C+.
When that is said, the MKIII is a great amp, and you can get them for way less.

Mark lll's are great amps, they're probably the closest you can get to a C+ in a single unit. A Studio Pre-amp with a Mesa power amp is closer sounding to a C+ IMO. Either way, you'll feel a difference to the C+. I have some nice guitars, a 1955 stratocaster for one, that rarely go out to play because I did have a guitar stolen once while playing. I had it on a stand next to my stack as a back-up ( 1990 Jackson soloist #4438 sunset graphics) and at some point during the night someone swiped it. I later found out who, the bar owner, but by then he had killed himself. My MIM stratocaster & 2012 Gibson LP tribute together are only worth $750 so I substitute those 90% of the time. I would buy the Mark lll if I were you, it can do things the C+ can't and if it gets dropped or nicked, you'll be mad but not ripped. Both amps are keeping their value, I can't say that about a lot of other amps.

Promethean said:
Love my purple stripe. Had it many happy years of gigging and recording at home.

I did a reverb boost mod and the R2 gain control mod (with a concentric pot on direct out)

Not A/b'd with a IIC+ but I think the R2 channel is very nice and get most use on my amp, esp. with a clean boost.
I am not familiar with the reverb boost and R2 gain mod. Can you fill me in on that? The reverb even on 7-8 is still buried. Would be great to have it closer to a blackface reverb vibe. I did run an old digital reverb through it. It sounded great in the effects loop.

revgsmall said:
Would be great to have it closer to a blackface reverb vibe. I did run an old digital reverb through it. It sounded great in the effects loop.
You won't get old Fender 3 spring reverb out of the Boogie. It's not what they were shooting for. But you will get a nice ambient depth that you grow to love about it. It's unique. To get blackface reverb, drop a Strymon Flint in the loop.

The reverb mod will give a little more saturation. Compare a purple stripe to a green stripe and you'll get the idea.

Well I pulled the trigger on the Mark III Purple stripe!!! Packed up my IIC+ head and a EV loaded 1x12 and drove 125 miles to Billings MT so I could A/B them.

The III is much darker in the lead channel and has substantially more gain. I guess the simulclass circuitry adds to the darker tone: the III had brand new Mesa 6L6's and EL34's in it. A little boxier sounding clean but my old Alesis reverb in the loop helped to expand the clean channel.

My IIC+ was bold, more open and less gain. However the III was more controllable at lower volumes which is my only complaint with my IIC+. I do like the addition of the R2 as well. I will likely find a use for it. The EV speaker in it was one of those older non-boogie stamped EV's. I ran it through my newer Boogie labelled EV and it sounded more open and less boxy on the clean setting.

I have a lot of experimenting to do now. I'd like to record with both amps simultaneously. Perhaps perform with both: either with both on or separately with a A/B box.

I go through these anti-distortion pedal moods and I am in one now. However I'll hold on to my pedal boards and my Fender Deluxe for when my mood shifts.

I got this totally gone through and retubed III with a road case for $850. I may entertain the thought of having it turned into a head only. George here on the forum made me a great snake skin head for the IIC+. Got to get on Ebay and sell something before the credit card interest eats up my appreciation!!!!

revgsmall said:
Promethean said:

I am not familiar with the reverb boost and R2 gain mod. Can you fill me in on that? The reverb even on 7-8 is still buried. Would be great to have it closer to a blackface reverb vibe. I did run an old digital reverb through it. It sounded great in the effects loop.

I boosted the reverb by adding a resistor in series with the wire going to the fx loop earth. This gives you much more reverb depth. I'd have to look inside for the value, but I got notes from Boogie email support on it. I put a high value in so I could get drenched in spring reverb. I only need it on 3 or 4 now to have plenty.

I usually have a lexicon rack reverb in the loop though and had an alesis unit before that.

The R2 mod is a 'must have' so it may already be done, but it allows a level control on R2 channel rather than bring stuck with the fixed boost. It is well documented on this forum. Check to see if there is an altered pot in the back - often the direct out level is repurposed. I used a concentric and added the R2 control. It turns it into a really useful 3 channel amp.

[/quote]

I boosted the reverb by adding a resistor in series with the wire going to the fx loop earth. This gives you much more reverb depth. I'd have to look inside for the value, but I got notes from Boogie email support on it. I put a high value in so I could get drenched in spring reverb. I only need it on 3 or 4 now to have plenty.

I usually have a lexicon rack reverb in the loop though and had an alesis unit before that.

The R2 mod is a 'must have' so it may already be done, but it allows a level control on R2 channel rather than bring stuck with the fixed boost. It is well documented on this forum. Check to see if there is an altered pot in the back - often the direct out level is repurposed. I used a concentric and added the R2 control. It turns it into a really useful 3 channel amp.[/quote]

No control knob on the back for R2, I haven't fooled with it much yet, hopefully I will like it as is, if not then yes, I saw your conentric knob post here on the Board. I can find it again. If you can find the support email from Boogie I would appreciate it. I think my guy here in town can do it, it at least doesn't appear to be too difficult.

Latest posts

Back