New JP2C Owner/Cab Suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope you are all well. I'm back after a long time away from owning a Boogie. Well kinda of anyway I still own a Traixis but I'm selling that now to pay for a new JP2C. I've been using the Fractal stuff for around 6 years which I will continue to use them but I just missed having an amp. I guess I'm finally tired of tweaking lol.

My first Boogie was a 2x12 Tremoverb combo back in the 90's and then I bought a RK1 then a RKII. After that I moved over to a MKV, JP2C and then after that I got into the modelling stuff.

Anyway I just wanted to ask if anyone has tried any of the new Boogie cabs at all? What did you think?

I have an old Boogie 2x12 with V30's in but wanted to get a 1x12 like I used to have a few years back, that had a C90 in. One that caught my eye was the new 2x10 cab with creambacks in. I thought it might be a good choice. What do you guys think? or should I just stick to the c90 or v30?

I don't really play metal or prog rock but I do like JP's solo sound and rhythm channels and also that sparkling clean he gets too. Which I've always tried to get myself when using a Boogie.

Many thanks

Paul

The following is based on my personal opinion.

You would be better off with the 12inch speaker. If you get a 112 with C90, you can easily replace that speaker with an EVM12L later on, JP2C and the Mark VII sound extremely good with the EVM12L Classic speaker. You could opt for the black label version, they sound much the same. I have a Mesa wide body open back cab that I installed the EVM12L Classic. Was thinking of getting another. Too bad they do not sell the cabs without speakers. I never had much luck with the MC90, mostly due to the dust cap separating from the cone when driving it at gig level. The EV solution was the best move for me when using it with the JP2C or the Mark VII. Not only do you get more power handling capacity, the clean channels never sounded better. Even the gain channels are awesome. EV is not a suitable choice for the Mark V90 or the Mark IVB as they have a boxy, honky sound to them. The Celestion Cream back G12H-75 does work well with that.

I have tried the Boogie 410 cab. The JP2C is on top of it on the left and the Mark VII is on the Vertical 212 cab. There is more of a fuller tone from the Recto V212 on the right with the V30 speakers than compared to the 10" cream backs. I much prefer the V212 or the EV loaded 112 (in the far left). Before I go further with this, I must make it clear that I have the Mesa STR415 tubes in the JP2C. Not sure if that will have an impact on how the 10 inch cab would sound. That being said, the JP2C has the right amount of tone density to make that 10 inch cab sound good. It is very different and something you would have to grow into to appreciate it. Good for solo work if you want to stand out. Not all that great for all around playing.

The one 410 was enough, I sort of wish I did not get two of them. I had visions of grandeur I suppose. It is not bad. The JP2C was one that did the best job at pushing that cabinet. It sounds huge with just the one as it will have a punchy low end but not as low in frequency as the 12 inch speaker. I a bit thin o the midrange and top end is a bit slim as well. I had to pull the presence control out and boost it to compensate. Then it sounded really good but not as great as a 212 cab.
I believe the 410 was focused more so for the Filmore amp line.

20231229_110507.jpg

I thought having two of the 410 cabs would be a better compromise to a full stack of 412 cabs. It does tower over the two badlanders on the V212 cabs. I make mistakes just like everyone else.
The full stack idea was not a wise move. Seems that once you raise the one 410 off of the floor it gets bright as hell and looses the low end. Depends on what type of music you are after.

20240204_225353.jpg

My speaker choice would have to go to the versatile V212 cab. Works with just about anything that will fit on top of it. JP2C, Mark VII, Badlander, TC100, TC50, even a Mark V90. The wide body 112 on the left would be my first pick if going out of the home to play. That is the one I loaded the EV speaker into. All three have the same width dimensions. the Vertical 212 being the deepest. No casters for the 410 either. Too narrow of a depth to support an amp with the cab on casters.

20231227_223300.jpg

Needless to say, the 410 cabs went into storage. Not sure if I will ever make use of them. Bummer. I was considering making a change in one cabinet by replacing two of the speakers with the Celestion G10 Vintage (has the same voice coil of the V30) to see if there is any change in characteristics. The 10" cream backs are not all that bad, just not what I was expecting.

The following is based on my personal opinion.

You would be better off with the 12inch speaker. If you get a 112 with C90, you can easily replace that speaker with an EVM12L later on, JP2C and the Mark VII sound extremely good with the EVM12L Classic speaker. You could opt for the black label version, they sound much the same. I have a Mesa wide body open back cab that I installed the EVM12L Classic. Was thinking of getting another. Too bad they do not sell the cabs without speakers. I never had much luck with the MC90, mostly due to the dust cap separating from the cone when driving it at gig level. The EV solution was the best move for me when using it with the JP2C or the Mark VII. Not only do you get more power handling capacity, the clean channels never sounded better. Even the gain channels are awesome. EV is not a suitable choice for the Mark V90 or the Mark IVB as they have a boxy, honky sound to them. The Celestion Cream back G12H-75 does work well with that.

I have tried the Boogie 410 cab. The JP2C is on top of it on the left and the Mark VII is on the Vertical 212 cab. There is more of a fuller tone from the Recto V212 on the right with the V30 speakers than compared to the 10" cream backs. I much prefer the V212 or the EV loaded 112 (in the far left). Before I go further with this, I must make it clear that I have the Mesa STR415 tubes in the JP2C. Not sure if that will have an impact on how the 10 inch cab would sound. That being said, the JP2C has the right amount of tone density to make that 10 inch cab sound good. It is very different and something you would have to grow into to appreciate it. Good for solo work if you want to stand out. Not all that great for all around playing.

The one 410 was enough, I sort of wish I did not get two of them. I had visions of grandeur I suppose. It is not bad. The JP2C was one that did the best job at pushing that cabinet. It sounds huge with just the one as it will have a punchy low end but not as low in frequency as the 12 inch speaker. I a bit thin o the midrange and top end is a bit slim as well. I had to pull the presence control out and boost it to compensate. Then it sounded really good but not as great as a 212 cab.
I believe the 410 was focused more so for the Filmore amp line.

View attachment 4009

I thought having two of the 410 cabs would be a better compromise to a full stack of 412 cabs. It does tower over the two badlanders on the V212 cabs. I make mistakes just like everyone else.
The full stack idea was not a wise move. Seems that once you raise the one 410 off of the floor it gets bright as hell and looses the low end. Depends on what type of music you are after.

View attachment 4010

My speaker choice would have to go to the versatile V212 cab. Works with just about anything that will fit on top of it. JP2C, Mark VII, Badlander, TC100, TC50, even a Mark V90. The wide body 112 on the left would be my first pick if going out of the home to play. That is the one I loaded the EV speaker into. All three have the same width dimensions. the Vertical 212 being the deepest. No casters for the 410 either. Too narrow of a depth to support an amp with the cab on casters.

View attachment 4011

Needless to say, the 410 cabs went into storage. Not sure if I will ever make use of them. Bummer. I was considering making a change in one cabinet by replacing two of the speakers with the Celestion G10 Vintage (has the same voice coil of the V30) to see if there is any change in characteristics. The 10" cream backs are not all that bad, just not what I was expecting.
Many thanks for your opinion on that I really appreciate it! Interesting to hear that the 2 x10 might not work out. I guess I need to try it for myself. I have actually thought of putting an EV12L in a Boogie 1x12 mainly because of the higher headroom.

I'm actually wondering I know JP uses 1x12's live nowadays and what speakers are actually in those cabs, it would be interesting to know. Probably V30's Id imagine. Something to think about! Thanks again!

I’m running my JP2C through a Mesa 2x12 vertical and horizontal. It sounds good. Can recommend! I’d like a traditional 4x12 straight cab (anyone want to sell me one?!). I’m also on the hunt for a Marshal 1960 straight with 75’s; I expect that to also sound excellent with the JP2C.

I would have to say the Standard Mesa Recto 412 is epic. I have an older oversized one I stuffed some EVM12L Black labels. That is a lot of cab and the JP2C can push it with ease. WOW. I do not need that level of volume in the studio so I do not use them much. Once in a while I will roll them out. Last jam session we were running on the 412 cabs with the two Badlanders.

I would not say the 10 is a bad choice, just different. I sort of liked it but you lose some frequencies with the smaller cones. It is also more punchy, It was cool in a way. That 410 cab could grow on me. As for a 210, it is rated for 90W, it may work out. I would highly suggest trying it out and hear it for yourself. Then compare one of the 112 with the C90 and go from there. I will say this, they will not compare, different scope of sound. If you like it, then good. Lets just say it was an interesting experience.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/mesa-boogie-boogie-4x10-cab-with-the-jp2c.87516/

I would have to say the Standard Mesa Recto 412 is epic. I have an older oversized one I stuffed some EVM12L Black labels. That is a lot of cab and the JP2C can push it with ease. WOW. I do not need that level of volume in the studio so I do not use them much. Once in a while I will roll them out. Last jam session we were running on the 412 cabs with the two Badlanders.

I would not say the 10 is a bad choice, just different. I sort of liked it but you lose some frequencies with the smaller cones. It is also more punchy, It was cool in a way. That 410 cab could grow on me. As for a 210, it is rated for 90W, it may work out. I would highly suggest trying it out and hear it for yourself. Then compare one of the 112 with the C90 and go from there. I will say this, they will not compare, different scope of sound. If you like it, then good. Lets just say it was an interesting experience.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/mesa-boogie-boogie-4x10-cab-with-the-jp2c.87516/
I'm definitely gonna try the 2x10 first and then if I like it fair enough, if I don't then I'll get the 1x12 with the c90 in. Gibson do offer a 30 days return over here in the UK like they do everywhere if I buy it from their website. I don't think many guitar stores over here carry that cab yet. I still have my JP2C on order so maybe the cabs might come in at the same time.

Latest posts

Back