Looking 4x12 cabinet for my Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydesg

Reaction score
Guys, Please give me some suggestions.
I am currently running my Mark IV through a oversized 2x12 cabinet made by ceriatone.

im looking for more oomph in the sound.

currently, my options are ,
Orange 4x12
VHT fatbottom and Deliverance 4x12
and marshall 4x12 cabinets

theres no mesa dealer over here though..

What do you guys think?

Are you dead set on buying new? Maybe you should search on ebay or through craigslist for a local seller.

Cab recommendations would be:

Mesa 412 Traditional
Mesa 412 Half backcab

How about 2 112 EV Thieles?

Greg

What kind of oomph are we talking about?

If you mean shear low end, the oversized cab should already be giving you that.

If you mean tight and clear punch, the Traditional can't be beat for that.

I tried an orange 4x12 with my old mkiv and was very unimpressed. It sounded flat and lifeless - "brit", but in a nasty old wool blanket way. Mesa cabs sound MUCH better. Rectos are readily available on the used market and you pretty much can't go wrong.

I currently use a vht fatbottom 4x12, but I haven't tried it with a mkiv. In general, it seems to have a tight punchy bottom end and smooth woody mids. Could be a good match for the mark. Its a bit less "woofy" on the low end and perhaps more well-defined mids than the mesa cabs I've heard (Recto & Traditional).

Recently, I played a Deliverance 4x12 and really liked it - but its hard to compare with the fatbottom because I couldn't try them both in the same sitting. Lots of positive reviews on the VHT board, but you have to take these things with a grain of salt. Like amps, when people shell out a grand or more for a new cab, they usually tend to give it great reviews, maybe to reinforce their own decision to buy it. Only after a few years do the real opinions come out.

i think it depends on your budget... if you want new or 2d hand..

if you got a low budget, the marshall 1960AV/BV are way better than the standard ones... i really like mine...

high budget, first choice old mesa half back for sure

second choice VHT new...

Throw an EQ in the loop and boost the bottom end a little bit, cut the mids slightly and take a tiny bit off the very high end. Adjust volume to taste... :lol:

hydesg said:
may i know how is the build quality for the Marshall 1960B cabinets?

i don't know 'bout those ones... i know the 1960BV (loaded with vintage 30)... i use it 'till january ! but i don't have the technical skills to tell you something about it build quality, i didn't even open it... it seems build like a tank, very heavy... i read that the tolex is poor quality, i can't judge it now, i don't have it for long enough...

Latest posts

Back