Lonestar special wattage selector does not work

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquitus

Reaction score
Hello, I've recently purchased a lonestar special 2x12, and shortly after i unseated one of the power tubes while taking the power cord out of the back, i ran it like this for a while and a horrible hum started so i had my amp tech take a look at it. He replaced the whole power section with new JJ's and took a look at the output transformer and said it looks like it may have been slightly worn down by the tubes arc'ing when the power tube was un-seated. He returned it to me and it works now, but only on the 30 watt setting, if i switch it to 15 or 5 there is absolutely no sound, anyone have experience with this?

May be another case of the cathode follower tube positions containing a Russian Mesa 12ax7... Search the board for 'mesa memo' and read up. Sounds very similar to the symptoms... Good luck.

Oh, and if you find that you want/need to replace the 5Y3 tube in your LSS let me know. I've got a brand new one for sale. It was sent to me with my new Stiletto but it will not work with my amp. I have a 5U4GB installed.

The rectifier tube may be bad. the 15/5 modes run on the rect tube, the 30w runs on solid state.

I play 2 consecutive 3-4 hour gigs on the weekend, do you think this amp is reliable enough to use without a backup after the accident?

Murphy- warranty was up a year ago.

Not sure, but the idea about the recto tube makes sense to me.

It would make sense to me to try replacing that tube first to see if it works. If so, I'd consider that a pretty cool "back up" feature --- if the recto tube ever fails live, just switch to the 30 W setting.

Back