Lonestar problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegleg

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I recently bought a used Lonestar Classic 1x 12" combo. circa 2005. I've noiced that when it's been running for a while the level drops and output becomes fizzy/ breaks up. It does it on both channels it seems. It seems to clear sometimes if I switch the standby on and off. I suspect this is a valve problem, and if you agree can someone tell me which valve it is likely to be ?. (not electronically minded at all) I have checked that they are all firmly seated, but I don't fancy sticking my hand in to tap the ones set furthest in to the chassis with it switched on lol. I suspect these are all the original valves so maybe time for a complete change anyway (any recommendations ?) , but for now I just need to sort out this issue. Thanks for looking.
Kev

My '05 LSC was doing the same thing, and it turned out to be one of the power tubes. With your amp on a table and good lighting, (and dry hands with no rings or watches!) you can gently tap on the metal pre-amp tube protectors with no problem at all. If this still makes you uncomfortable, use a chop stick. There should be a slight "Knocking" sound, and thats it.
The power tubes should be quiet when tapped on, and with an '05, I would say it's time for new power tubes anyway.

Thanks . I'll try having a swap around. I don't get any knocking or ringing from any of them, they all seem quite stable.

Back