Lonestar Classic with El 34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picnic

Reaction score
I'm loving the 6L6 tone my LSC puts out. but I'm gassing for something in a El 34 or 84 tone zone. I can cover my 6L6 tone needs with my Allen Accomplice.

Has anyone ever changed from 6L6's to El34's? What was the tone change switching to El's? I'd like to keep something close to the Fender clean, but get a litle nastier breakup on the drive channel.

Maybe I should just buy an LSS.

Seems like fender chimey clean vs. sweet poweramp break-up is the classic argument between 6L6s and EL34s. Which is more important to you?

IMO, running channel 2 on the LSC in 50W mode with tube rectification gets me closer to the sweet breakup than the diode rect. Or run it in tweed mode as well.

That amp has so many tonal possibilities I have yet to find a need to swap out the 6L6s.

strummin6 does the LSC have rectifier tracking ? if so won't it opt to using diode in 50 watt mode ? i don't know just asking.

picnic said:
I'm loving the 6L6 tone my LSC puts out. but I'm gassing for something in a El 34 or 84 tone zone. I can cover my 6L6 tone needs with my Allen Accomplice.

Has anyone ever changed from 6L6's to El34's? What was the tone change switching to El's? I'd like to keep something close to the Fender clean, but get a litle nastier breakup on the drive channel.

I would bet you would like the LSC better with EL34s . I have friend with the same amp and he to went EL34s and likes the amp much better

check out Dreads' clips in the rigs and tones section. he has a couple there and he uses el34's.

they rock.

so are you saying that the el34's don't break up nicely... i'm confsed...if you read the above conversation this is a thread talking about weather or not picnic would like el34's in his LSC. what ecxactly are you adding ?

EL34s make the tone "thinner", but if you want a nice break up then he needs a lower wattage amp. LSC in tweed mode w/ EL34s didn't get the break up I was looking for.

You may want to search the forum for threads on LSC with YJ EL84s and 6L6, this get's you that EL34 sound w/o sacrificing the roundness of the 6L6s.

I happen to have the LSC and a RK II, and I found that I love the sound of the clean channel with EL34s, but absolutely prefer the mix of 2 6L6s + 2 EL34s best (FYI the RK II has the LSC's cleans)

With the RK II set to only EL34s, recto tracking, tweed, and with the spongy switch engaged....get's me to that smooth early breakup desired of the El34s

The RK II cleans are not an exact clone of the LSC (about 95% there), but it is overall better due to the additiional capabilities with the progressive linkage and the bold/spongy...among other settings.

JAZZGEAR, so how much do you really love the RKII? I can't wait for mine to arrive 8)

I thought about putting EL34's in my LSC, but I'm just not willing to part with the perfect cleans.

On impulse I bought a Stiletto Ace because I was gas'ing for that EL34 sound. I had the amp home for a couple of weeks and then returned it. I realized that I much prefer the 6L6 sound. The Ace sounded so much thinner and treble'y than the LSC. The LSC in comparison sounds fat, smooth, punchy, and has much more bass.

After looking at Bogner, Fuchs, Bad Cat, Orange, and other Mesa amps, I finally have come to the realization that I have found my ultimate tone in the LSC. Mesa really broke the mold on the LSC and I'm sure I will be hanging on to this amp forever. Hopefull I'm cured of my G.A.S..

picnic said:

Call Mike athttp://www.kcanostubes.com/content/ and tell him what you want to do. One thing he won't do is try to sell you something you don't need. (no financial interest here) I got my LSS dialed in sweet with his help. And if you try the EL34's and don't like them it's really not a big investment and you'll have the tubes for another project.

Mick, of course I knew that. I was just being facetious; I'm just trying to convince Picnic that, at least with EL34s, it might be a waste of effort. Now, EL84s w/ yellowjackets might be another story 8)

It's tough to think about changing to 34's. The 6L6 tone I get now is my bench mark for Fender clean and the breakup is as good as my buddy's 72SFDR. If it ain't broke, don't eff with it.

Got to look for an LSS. One of each is the answer.

enigma said:
JAZZGEAR, so how much do you really love the RKII? I can't wait for mine to arrive 8)

Absolutely love it.....amazing pallette of tones....

Not sure when I will gig it as I want to get a nice cover or a light road case for it (something more protective than the included Mesa cover)

Being at the core a Jazz/R&B musician first, I have abandoned the plan to sell the LSC. There is a smoothness to the cleans of the LSC that I just can't coax out of the RK II.

JAZZGEAR, between your fingers and my Strat you made the LSC just purr!!! Yeah, don't sell it!

Yeah, I'll need to get a nice, protective cover for RKII too!

Picnic, sorry for digressing 8)

Latest posts

Back