LoneStar Classic Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musical123

Reaction score
All,

I am thinking about buying a used 2005 LSC. I went to the Mesaboogie web site and they said that there have been some improvements made to the amp in 2007, does anyone know what these are? Do you know what the power out options for this amp are? 100w, 50w and 10w?

Also, your overall thoughts on the amp would be apprecited.

Lastly, what would be a fair price for a 2005 LSC in good condition?

Thanks

Well, I think the only change is the power setting. The older ones like mine have 50/100 watt settings, no 10 watt setting. Maybe someone knows more and will chime in. As for a fair price... I've seen some for as low as $1000. GC even has sold some in the 1100-1300 range. I would scoop one up for anything under 1200. If you're talking 2x12, you would be hard pressed to find a better amp for the price.
This amp does the classic rock thing. Maybe some jazz. This amp is famous for its clean channel. It's very full bodied. It takes pedals well. It is not a modern metal amp. The Drive ch does OD fairly decent. But as for high gain...better have a good pedal. I like the reverb. It has 2 settings. One's twangy vintage spring and the other is smooth studio plate ish. It weighs a ton! I tried some different speakers (Weber blue dog and silver bell ceramics) and went back to the original C-90's. I felt they captured the amps mojo better. It can switch power amp tubes as well from 6L6 to EL34's with no biasing. Very cool. I did retube mine. The Mesa tubes can be bettered IMO.

Plan-X,

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of more questions:

When you say switch between 6L6s or EL34s I assume you need to physically change them? Or are they both in there and you can switch between them on the fly?

What type of tubes do you recommend?

Lastly, does anyone know if there is a way to mod these to get to the 10Ws? Is it as simple as pulling tubes?

Thanks again

Musical123 said:
Plan-X,

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of more questions:

When you say switch between 6L6s or EL34s I assume you need to physically change them? Or are they both in there and you can switch between them on the fly?

What type of tubes do you recommend?

Lastly, does anyone know if there is a way to mod these to get to the 10Ws? Is it as simple as pulling tubes?

Thanks again

You have to change out the tubes and flip the bias switch to the tube you are using . Dont think you can mod it for the 10 watt option . I use that option on mine in smaller venues . BB preamp sounds marvelous with it .

One of these days I will buy a quad of el-34's cause the one time i did try it, it sounded pretty good. But I like the fullness of 6l6's. yes, as the previous poster stated (Barry) there is a switch in the back that switches from 6L6 to EL-34 and you have to change the tubes yourself. No on the fly switching. I have not heard of any mods to change the power section to include a 10 watt mode. that would cost alot I would imagine. I don't need a 10 watt power mode cause I play in a loud band. In the bedroom I use the 50 watt with a vol pedal in the loop plus a BBE stomp to get my fullness maxed. Some guys use a attenuater to accomplish that. I actually use 4 OD pedals also. I like alot of different levels of distortion. My pedals can out perform the 2nd ch in many ways with only one sound setting. The tubes I use are JJ's. They are available from 'Eurotubes" and many other online tube stores. Bob at Eurotubes will zero in on what you are looking for ie: high gain, high headroom, early break-up, etc. I would play the amp for a while and see if there is anything you would want to improve. I went for the Highhead room, meaning late break-up. Cause my 2nd ch can be set for early break-up. I was only focusing on the clean ch with my tube change but they told me that my drive ch would sound better with the JJ'S and they were right.

You will not find a better answer than what Plan-X just explained. The only thing that I would add is that you can get more gain with the treble around 3:00, and it sounds incredible opened up at gig volume.

The prolblem I have (I wish life was this easy) is that I have the opportunity to pick up a LSC 2005 version for $800, but I do not need the power (only play in the basement).

That is why I am asking about the mods to get down to 10W. Any other suggestions? Does the amp come with a master volume or internal brake that might help me out with not blasting out my wife?

I have an amp technician friend who casually said the 10 watt retrofit mod should be doable (I trust his casual comments like this), and I am getting ready to ask how much it'll cost to have him do it. I've heard Mesa will not do it, so it'll have to be out of warranty.

You'll have master volume, switchable loop with send level (which can be engaged without anything actually plugged in, so this gives you more level options) and a "tweed" power setting (eg, a built-in variac) which is great for juicing the tone a little at lower levels. Many options along these lines. All mod cons, as it were.

$800 for an LSC is awesome for any make/configuration. I got my '06 for a grand, and I couldn't be happier with the deal I got. I do wish I had the 10 watt option, which is why I am going to try the mod. But it's an amazing amp.

I don't think having the 10 watt option will make much of a difference in terms of blasting your wife's peace, though; optimal power tube drive level is still going to be pretty loud. If you're gigging with it, it gives you a little freedom to really open it up onstage without getting you pulled out of the mains. For home use, it's still loud. But I still enjoy playing with mine at home at low levels anyway, even without the full effect of power tube saturation (OR the 10 watt option).

I'd say jump on the amp (if you're worried about losing the deal) and then go test a new one out at GC if you can, and see what it feels like with the 10w setting.

Hi,

The 10w setting is still very loud - but great at gigs. Don't get me wrong its not 100W but still too much for in the home. I still use it but with the volume set very very low. I live in a terraced UK house, which doesn't help!

As for the other poster that mentioned the BB Preamp. I just got one of these whilst in NY for a holiday, as I could not find one to try in the UK. It is a great pedal and does seem particularly at home with the Lone Star.

D

That's a pretty good deal on an LSC. If you should buy it, set your channel volume where you like it and then use your master volume to bring it down first. A power attenuator may also help, if the master volume doesn't do it for you. With bringing the volume down, remember, there is a trade off in tone with not getting the speaker breakup. Happy Holidays!

I am not familiar with the BB preamp. I have a fulltone Fulldrive 2, is this a similiar product?

Musical123 said:
I am not familiar with the BB preamp. I have a fulltone Fulldrive 2, is this a similiar product?

No, the BB has a totally different vibe.

Wow! grab the amp, great price. You'll be able to dial it in at low volumes in the house. Also you can call mesa about the 10 watt mod being added t you can also buy yellowjackets (two el84's 15 watts) or even an attenuator for at home. I have a weber mass lite $160 new sounds nice, better then the $300 hort plate IMHO BUY tHE AMP

That fulldrive should give you all the dirt you need at any volume. Like I said.. I use pedals in the bedroom and use the EQ on the amp to dial in a full tone. It will sound great. I have a 40watt amp and at bedroom levels my LSC is still better sounding. I used to play in a church where we would mic the amps to keep a controled volume. I got my LSC because it sounded great at low volume. Lots of bottom end and full. No low watt amp is going to do that. They will sound thin. Those 2x12's 50-100watt plus your pedal will be better than any tube saturation on a low watt amp at low volume.

I have an LSC head and 2x12 cabinet and only play at home. With both the LSC at 10 watts and the Express I had before at 5 watts, you just can't get a great, punchy bass when playing clean. So I play ch1 at 50 watts clean and ch2 at 10 watts with gain and it works fine. The output knob also can be used as an attenuator.

First I want to thank everyone for their inputs.

What exactly is "yellowjackets (two el84's 15 watts) "? What do they do? and do they come in 6L6s?

Next, I have a Peavey Delta Blues that uses the EL84s and I think it sounds great. What is the difference with the 6L6s?

Yellow jackets are tube socket adapters. The LSC has a tube socket pin configuration for 6L6's & EL-34's. The pin configuration on EL-84's is different and requires an adapter, AKA Yellow jackets. I don't think Mesa recommends this and would void any warranty. This set up would require specific tube voltage testing that are hand picked by a tube dealer familiar with the LSC voltage parameters. The logical progression of tube exploration would be to try the existing 6L6's in the amp, then upgrade those if not satisfied, this is where I'm at after 3 years, then go to EL-34's for a change, then if still not satisfied go the EL-84 yellow jacket route. And it's not about satisfaction, it's about GAS. Those 3 tube types represent the basis for the Godfather amps. The Vox EL-84's (British invasion), The Marshall EL-34's (Hendrix & workhorse of classic rock 70's 80's), & The Fender 6L6's (California sound) The ideal set up would be to have one of each amp to capture the sound that the design was dedicated for. The LSC was designed for 6l6's. Although it does allow EL-34's...it ain't gonna do a Marshall as well as a Marshall. 6L6 sound is fuller, thicker, bouncy, highest headroom clean, & longest life. EL-34 is more midrangey with some grind and chime. EL-84 is chimiest. Thats all I know about them cause I'm 6L6 man. I like the authority they command, wall of sound coverage. Feel it from your head to your toes. The LSC is that kind of amp. This amp is considered one of the best and has won various editors pick type awards.

You can also run 6V6's in an LSC. I've changed out to a full compliment of JJ's. EL34's, and the pre-amp package, and it sounds way better than with the Mesa tubes, and no more microphonic's from the mesa pre-amp tubes. I may try the 6V6 option next for a different flavor. BTW I like the 34's better than the 6l6's . A little tighter midrange, and the OD channel sounds better to me with the 34's.

Bikedude said:
You can also run 6V6's in an LSC. I've changed out to a full compliment of JJ's. EL34's, and the pre-amp package, and it sounds way better than with the Mesa tubes, and no more microphonic's from the mesa pre-amp tubes. I may try the 6V6 option next for a different flavor. BTW I like the 34's better than the 6l6's . A little tighter midrange, and the OD channel sounds better to me with the 34's.

I know it is difficult to describe sound but does the LSC with 34s sound anything in the ball park to the Stiletto or JCM800? I have a LSS and love it and want a second amp that is more classic Marshall. I tried out an Ace today and found it to be too thin for my taste. The salesman had me try the LSC. He is claims it will do what the ACE/jcm800 will do plus more with the 34s installed, however I couldn't hear it for my self with 34s and I have to remember that he was trying to sell an amp.

Any input is welcome.

I love my Mesa but if you want a Marshall then why not just get a Marshall? I never understand why folk want to buy a Brand X amp and wants it to sound like jcm800 or Fender, etc.
I bought Mesa because Marshall, Fender, Vox, ... don't make anything that sounds like a Mesa.
I had a jcm800 but regretably sold it a while back. No, the Stiletto Ace or LSC w/ EL34 don't sound anything like it. Not even in the ball park. Heck, even the jcm900 don't sound like the jcm800.

Latest posts

Back