LoneStar Classic Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ja22y said:
Heck, even the jcm900 don't sound like the jcm800.

Hee hee! No kidding. Truer words were never spoken.

However, as a JCM800-owner and believer, I will say that there is probably at least one good reason for wanting to be able to get [amp x]-ish tone out of [boogie x]: MESA build, MESA design, and MESA portability (ok, 3 good reasons). In my case, it's not that I want an exact replica (I have the real thing); it's more that I want a smaller combo that will produce a reasonable facsimile in a working situation.

I don't want to drag my half-stack around everywhere; nor do I want to buy a crappy modern Marshall combo; nor do I want to get another JCM800 in combo form. I want something that will sound comparable, and if not exactly like a Marshall, will get me in the same ballpark in terms of, you know, an acceptably aggressive sound.

However, all that being said, you're right. It's silly to expect to get a real Marshall tone out of a Boogie or anything else. It just ain't going to happen.

ja22y said:
I love my Mesa but if you want a Marshall then why not just get a Marshall? I never understand why folk want to buy a Brand X amp and wants it to sound like jcm800

I like the sound of the 800 and have two of them. I want to go mesa because I am tired of my antique Marshalls going to the repair shop every 6 months for something that has gone wrong. I want to change to something more reliable is my reason for looking at a Mesa.

Latest posts

Back