Lonestar Classic & EL34's ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. I haven't switched out mine and probably won't. My guess is the 34's won't be as bottom heavy and will break up a little sooner.
I'll get to one of your shows someday 55.

Anyone?

This might be a way to get a little more gain out of the second channel.

I know replacing the preamp tubes really brought this amp to life. I went with a Tung Sol in V1, hi gain JJ in V2 and Shuguang in V3, 4, & 5.

My amp had Mesa 430 6L6's in it, a pretty lifeless power tube. I replaced it with SED's and I'm now curious if KT-77's might have been a better direction. The amp sounds good, I'm just wondering.

Do a search I seem to remember people having problems using ELs.

Yup, the 430s are awful. I've got SEDs and happy with the tone now.

You know I bought a DR 3ch with the 440 6L6's in it and called Mesa about my LSC with the 430's. The guy knew they were crap and so I asked if I could warranty them, he said were they 'broken' so I say, 'no, they just sound DEAD'. He said, 'no'. I replaced them as soon as I got replacements and haven't looked back.

Funny thing about this story is Mesa will Void your warranty if you don't use their tubes and they KNOW that this batch was crap but wouldn't warranty them. Makes a guy want to Always buy Mesa tubes, doesn't it?

I am sure that there are folks out there thinking that the Lonestar isn't all that hot of an amp not realizing that if they would spring for a better quality tube than what Mesa is selling, the amp is AMAZING!!!! I only hope that they don't wait the 5 years of the length of the warranty to try some other branded tube besides Mesa crap tubes......

And for the record I have been playing Boogie amps for better than 20 years and I have NEVER thought their tubes were anything special. For a while they were all we could get but not so any more.

Guitar55 said:
Is anyone using or has anyone tried EL34's in an LSC? I'm tempted....

I've swapped thenm in the store I frequent. It sounded very similar to the LSS. We then A/B'd with a LSC and could hear a noticable difference between the EL-34's from the Classic and the El-84's from the Special. Not a drastic change but noticable. Personally I'd stick with the 6L6's I think the amps sounds killer with a Strat attached and 6L6's.

Folks don't be afraid to swap tubes. Everyone I speak to complains about the stock Mesa tubes... and you should if you dislike the sound. You can't go wrong with SED's, GT ("S" or "GE's") and the ever popular JJ's. Believe me...I tried them all.

Guitar55 said:
Is anyone using or has anyone tried EL34's in an LSC? I'm tempted....

I've swapped thenm in the store I frequent. It sounded very similar to the LSS. We then A/B'd with a LSC and could hear a noticable difference between the EL-34's from the Classic and the El-84's from the Special. Not a drastic change but noticable. Personally I'd stick with the 6L6's I think the amps sounds killer with a Strat attached and 6L6's.

Folks don't be afraid to swap tubes. Everyone I speak to complains about the stock Mesa tubes... and you should if you dislike the sound. You can't go wrong with SED's, GT ("S" or "GE's") and the ever popular JJ's. Believe me...I tried them all.

The curiosity got the better of me. I ordered some Ruby's today from Doug's tubes. I'm not unhappy with the 430's, I want to hear what else is out there in tubeland. I'll post a update when I have had some time with them in my LSC. I figure I'm done buying amps, so I'll tweak the Classic and have some fun with it.

What is the choice for the preamp upgrades. Bob doesn't really list any re-tube sets of pre amps for the LSC. I saw where one of you did a Tung Sol in V1, JJ in V2 and Shuguang in V3,4, and 5. I would like to re-tube the whole amp with JJ's as the 6l6's in the power section. I've seen talk about the KT77's being a fantastic alternative to the El34's. Any experience with these or should I just stick in a set of JJ6l6's.

You need to talk to Bob directly, tell him what you like and don't like about the amp, the style of music you play and the guitars you are using. He will advise based on your situation.

For me we discussed EL34's , E34L's and KT77's. With the 34's you can expect less bottom end (may or may not be a good thing. The 77's give you EL34 mids and upper-mids and still reatin some 6L6-like bottom end. I'm opting to stay with 6L6's. I've always been a Fender kind of guy.

Bob said he would "cherry-pick' a gold pin ECC83S for V1 (for higher gain), an 83S for V2 and a "balanced" ECC83 for V5. I'm keeping the stock tubes in V3 and V4.

I put in Ruby el34BSTR's and some NOS Stuff (JAN Philips 12ax7-WA), a GE tube Rectifier etc... This thing sounds great. Lots of sustain, no farting noises like I got with the original crappy tubes that came with the LSC. I love the sound I get. Much more sustain, smoother distortion... a very singing lead tone. It's bad - azz!`` :twisted:

I also talked to Bob yesterday, and ordered the matched quartet of 6l6's with the pre amp package. I considered doing the integrated set with the mixed 6l6's and EL34l's, but like I've heard earlier, "I'm a fender guy at heart". I too was tired of the "farting" sounds comming from the speakers with the crappy mesa bottles. I also orderd a set of pre-amp tubes for my HRD 4X10. These were the "blues package", to somooth out the overdrive channel. I alread have a set of TAD's 6l6's in the HRD so I'll see how a pre-amp sub. works.

Rock On.
Wisch

My Eurotube package will be here either today or tomorrow and I'm getting together with a friend of mine who is a real amp tech-head. We are going to fool around with settings with the Mesa tubes still in there and then make the swap and compare. Should be interesting. I'll be sure to report back on what we find.

In our product review of the Lone Star 2x12 combo, reviewer Matt Pinson swapped out the tubes:

"Swapping in EL-34’s for the stock compliment of 6L6’s and switching to the Thick option on the channel voicing selector switch, we were able to grab our Strat and cross the bridge of sighs into sonic territory reminiscent of Robin Trower. Plugging into a closed back 4x12 cabinet loaded with Vintage 30’s rather than the stock speakers thickened and focused the sound of the Lone Star’s higher gain offerings and added an extra touch of voodoo for such Jimi inspired sounds"

You can read the full review here if interested:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0706_MesaBoogieLoneStar.php

And if you have more questions about the EL-34 excursion, post stuff at the MP forums and Matt will be happy to tell you more.

Nice review, very informative and accurate. I guess MP was excited about the amp and was typing so fast, he forgot to hit the spellcheck button.8>) Thanks for the post.

picnic said:
Nice review, very informative and accurate. I guess MP was excited about the amp and was typing so fast, he forgot to hit the spellcheck button.8>) Thanks for the post.

You made me go back to the original text -- what error didn't spell check catch? I'm curious! :)

Scott
p.s. Glad you liked the review. To say Matt was impressed by this Boogie was an understatement, and he's played and owned a lot of great tube amps from Boogie and Fender, among others...

Back