lone star tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old Lonestar classic that I am really getting tired of replacing tubes in (mesa 6l6 red) twice in 18 months! Now I have to replace again plus a blown grid resistor, any thoughts on Groove tubes and reliability issues?

Unless you are using that amp,full out on a daily basis thats way too many tubes to go through and the blown resistor is an indication that something is wrong.I would have it looked at by a tech.I am assuming you mean the screen grid resistor,which would have blown from drawing too much current.

I use it 10 to 15 hours a week and always use the standby on breaks, I have a tech working on it now and he says the tubes are bad once again. I was thinking maybe I'm getting crap tubes from Mesa and I ought to change brands.Would bad tubes blow the screen grid resistor?

Could be bad tubes,could also be something in the amp causing okay tubes to go bad.Make sure the tech is checking it out thoroughly,not just blaming the tubes and dropping a new set in there.I know Mesa claims there is no need to bias if you use tubes in the "right" range,but have the tech check to see that the bias is okay when he puts the new tubes in.I dont like the Mesa method of tube replacement,but with their system the tubes should fall into a safe ,somewhat cold range to avoid what is happening in your case.It seems unlikely that you would get 2 sets go bad in such a short time if something else wasnt amiss.It is possible,but if you are paying a tech to change your tubes he should look into it a little further after 2 sets in that short a time.I cant speak on the reliability of Mesa or GT's tubes since I never use them or any Chinese tubes,but they do sell alot of amps and tubes so they do work for a lot of people.Both Mesa and GT claim to test their tubes thoroughly and cull tubes that dont meet their expectations so to get 2 bad sets in that short span of time would make me suspect something else could be wrong.

do you have the switch on the back set to the right setting? I'm talking about the little switch that you set to either el34 or 6L6's. That would screw it up, if it's in the wrong setting.

That little 6l6-el34 switch is the first thing I check when I take the cover off. Have not found anything wrong with the amp and went ahead and put groove tube 6l6-S-grade 4 tubes in and I hate them, I think they are rebranded JJ's. It does not have the gain it had before and I think I might go back to the Mesa's even though they do not last worth a ****. The amp sounds to "tight" to me on the clean channel and I play country! I just can't help thinking I would be better off if Mesa put an adjustable bias on these things!

I agree, Adjustable bias please!!!!!!!!! I have a ton of great tubes that I can't use because the bias is not right. I have a feeling that a ton of Mesa users are not getting the best from their amp. If the bias is to cold you get crossover cheezy distortion. I've had a couple of mesa's and everyone of them (with Mesa tubes in them) was running on the cold side. The bias thing would be great just to give us the option. I have a MKIV right now that does everything under the sun except let me bias my tubes, where I want them, with my ears and fingers and room and , you know what I mean?

Latest posts

Back