Lone Star Dillema

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tone Bone

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the board and I'm hoping someone with a bit more experience with the Mesa Boogie Lonestar might have a few words of wisdom. Also, let me say up front that I really have A LOT to learn about amps and I look forward to participating in discussions. (I also have a Mark ll-B and a Mark IV - haven't screwed them up yet!)

The problem is that as I play for an extended period of time, the volume of the amp steadily decreases steadily until it is very faint and distorted.

I have had a couple of techs take a look at this and they've determined that everything seems to be working just fine and of course they can't seem to replicate the problem.

I have been racking my brain for anything I might have done that could have caused this. For a while I tried a THD Hot Plate with it and I'm fairly certain I used it correctly. The only other thing I can think of is that I have switched between "On" and "Tweed" quickly. The amp pops loudly when I do. This is the one that scares me a bit.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

My Lonestar Special had that problem and it turned out to be the send/return jacks needed to be cleaned even though the amp was new. Mesa tech told me to check that so it had to be a known issue.

On Lonestar Classics I've read of a few people having faulty contacts on the "ON/Tweed" switch.

Both the above could create gradual power loss and the amp could still test ok when a tech tested it...

raf

Back