KT-77s in a Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

The tubes in my Mark are starting to get noisy, so it's time to swap.

Reading around, it seems that the KT-77s are VERY popular in the amp.

I'm curious about mixing two of them with 2 6L6s....would you guys recommend it? I'm hoping for a slightly more open, and overall bigger drive tone.

Is the mix a good option? Straight KT77s? Rabies? :wink:

Also, what is the general consensus of JJ preamp tubes in the Mark series? I thought they were a little too dark for the recto, but maybe that will match well with the Mark?

Thanks for the input!

As to your last question, I tried JJs in V1-V3 in my Mark IVa and was disappointed by the tone. I would call their tone "dark", but not in a good way. I associate that tone with single 12AX7 tube distortion pedals. For new production 12AX7s, I've had good results with Tung-Sols. I'm currently using them in V2 and V3. In V1, I use the current production "9th generation" chinese 12AX7s, mostly because I like their high gain characteristics for the R2 channel. Of course NOS preamp tubes are always better, but there's something to be said for the easy availability of new production tubes.

Umm well I just got this EXACT retube kit, JJ's preamp and KT77 with 6l6.
Sounds really nice to me! Remember you DO have the Mark IV's G-EQ and so any darkness I noticed I could work with, but to be honest I DIDN'T find much darkening of my tone at ALL. So who knows :p
Cheers mate

Latest posts

Back