korg tuner and effects loop question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVTsteven

Reaction score
How should I run my korg tuner in my setup? its a dtr 1000 rack tuner and I would like to use the mute function.

Im not sure if I should run it in the loop along with my
rv5,dd5,dl4,and jamman

or run it through the slave out?
any suggestions?

If the slave out is an effected signal, I wouldn't do it that way. Seems you'd get more accurate tuning with as pure a signal as possible, i.e., run your guitar into the tuner first, then into the front end of the amp.

+1...out front is the way to go here.

Running from the slave-out will keep the tuner out of your signal path, which may help if the tuner circuit has any bad effect on your guitar tone, but you will not have the mute function.

In the FX loop, you would want it first in the chain (before delays etc), but if your amp has a parallel FX loop you still have no mute function.

FWIW Korg tuners (even the pedal ones) have little if any adverse effects on tone, so if you want the mute feature it's gotta go up front.

if it's true bypass where you put it will not affect tone, but if it's not pay attention to how it affects your tone even in conjunction with other FX.

Hi,
I have run my Korg rackmount tuner in the FX loop and used the mute, just as you are thinking. I did find a slight impact on tone.

Another option to consider is to use an A/B pedal instead of a mute footswitch pedal (I assume you would use a footswitch pedal to mute the tuner, hands free). Using an A/B pedal will send your signal either to your amp or to the tuner. It automatically acts as a mute as no signal goes to the amp when you switch to the tuner. You plug the "B" line into the tuner's input. In this way, you get one less item in your signal path, and eliminate any chance of tone degradation from the tuner, AND you get muted signal for tuning.

Just another thought.
Brent

I run my tuner ( peterson strobe) that way. My A/B box has an extra out, I run out to my tuner. That way I have 2 amps I can A/B to, and still click out and tune. I love it that way....

Latest posts

Back