Killer Stiletto Lead Clips

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trem

Reaction score
Ok guys, I found some great Stiletto clips on youtube, just in case you haven't heard them already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpnRjI3llk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtbwr_KMnWA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06zeDFVOq_E

If you guys have better ones, please post them. I haven't found any good Stiletto clips in this forum.

~trem

These are the clips that originally sold me on the Deuce on this board... then it was the Andy Timmon's sound and trying them out in person.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=3372&start=0

They get bashed a lot when you go to other forums and read what people have to say about Stiletto's... but then you look at the date that these posts were written and realize that most of them were written in 2004, 2005, and early 2006. Bad news travels 10x faster than good news. The stage II's are absolutely killer amps (not that the stage I's are bad...they are just more recto'ish and the Marshall crowd are often anti recto) and not what these people are talking about in these older posts. Also most of the comments are by guys who plugged into one for 10 minutes... in the store... in 2005. I don't care what anyone says... you can't really judge an amp in a store or even in your basement. You have to get it in a live performance situation to really know.

srf399 said:
They get bashed a lot when you go to other forums and read what people have to say about Stiletto's... but then you look at the date that these posts were written and realize that most of them were written in 2004, 2005, and early 2006. Bad news travels 10x faster than good news. The stage II's are absolutely killer amps (not that the stage I's are bad...they are just more recto'ish and the Marshall crowd are often anti recto) and not what these people are talking about in these older posts. Also most of the comments are by guys who plugged into one for 10 minutes... in the store... in 2005. I don't care what anyone says... you can't really judge an amp in a store or even in your basement. You have to get it in a live performance situation to really know.

I haven't tried the Stage II myself but I've read that the Stage I is the more Marshall-esque of the two... ?

I haven't heard that but who knows.... How does yours sound when A/B with your JCM800?

I've heard people describe the Stage II's as a cross between a Recto and a MKIII.... then somewhere else I heard a cross between a Recto and a JCM800 LOL I think they just sound like Stiletto's. I can get a smooth deep Eric Johnson type sound out of this amp that I could never find in the other Mesas I had.

The dual rectification, assignable power, and variac are options I wouldn't want to be without now. I love the way you can change the feel of the amp with these options... Does Marshall have any of these?

Wow. Haven't really heard many Stiletto clips before. Seems to have a nice fat, smoothish tone. Really nice.

meh, they're good but nothing great IMO. Our singer has a series II trident and my studio preamp into an old 50/50 carvin power amp man handled it the time he brought it to practice. It just doesn't have any real mojo... I mean, it's got a great hard rock and marshally vibe to it but it doesn't really capture the marshall magic and it really doesn't sound like any distinct boogie.

Now, as I said... it's got a good sound but I just didn't hear anything special about it. The studio just oozed class and charisma even in the most brutal songs and the trident was just sort of there making noise with no real "voice" so to speak. And I know it's sort of unfair to pit it against the studio in that comparison because the Marks really carved an unmistakable tone niche into the world as well as the rectifiers and the stiletto was something new that I don't think has it's voice (yet hopefully). But I fear it's one of those amps that a lot of guys will use and the average listener could mistake it for a marshall of sorts but the marshall purists will know it's something else but probably not exactly what. That was my first impression when I heard sound clips without knowing what it was.

Anyways, we tweaked Josh's Trident for a good hour little by little between songs and it got better but we never could really dial in the sound we wanted from it.

It's all just my personal feelings on the two. I almost bought a deuce at one point but felt the same way about it then.

Mightypigeon, the stiletto isn't a smooth amp at all. That's the one thing it couldn't be despite our best efforts. It sizzles anywhere despite where the presence/high knobs are and if you turn them too low, it turns into the wet blanket over the speaker muffled sound. :?

Those leads are great if you're into that kind of tone but it's really not my thing. Too screamy if you know what I mean. I need FAT, liquid solo sound on the darker side instead of presence heavy ear piercing screaming leads.

FastRedPonyCar said:
meh, they're good but nothing great IMO. Our singer has a series II trident and my studio preamp into an old 50/50 carvin power amp man handled it the time he brought it to practice. It just doesn't have any real mojo... I mean, it's got a great hard rock and marshally vibe to it but it doesn't really capture the marshall magic and it really doesn't sound like any distinct boogie.

Now, as I said... it's got a good sound but I just didn't hear anything special about it. The studio just oozed class and charisma even in the most brutal songs and the trident was just sort of there making noise with no real "voice" so to speak. And I know it's sort of unfair to pit it against the studio in that comparison because the Marks really carved an unmistakable tone niche into the world as well as the rectifiers and the stiletto was something new that I don't think has it's voice (yet hopefully). But I fear it's one of those amps that a lot of guys will use and the average listener could mistake it for a marshall of sorts but the marshall purists will know it's something else but probably not exactly what. That was my first impression when I heard sound clips without knowing what it was.

Anyways, we tweaked Josh's Trident for a good hour little by little between songs and it got better but we never could really dial in the sound we wanted from it.

It's all just my personal feelings on the two. I almost bought a deuce at one point but felt the same way about it then.

Mightypigeon, the stiletto isn't a smooth amp at all. That's the one thing it couldn't be despite our best efforts. It sizzles anywhere despite where the presence/high knobs are and if you turn them too low, it turns into the wet blanket over the speaker muffled sound. :?

Sound is a subjective thing... Stiletto's aren't for everyone.
I have no trouble getting a killer smooth sound out of this amp... very expressive/touch sensitive amp. Guitar... pickups... technique... and how good an ear you have for setting up the amp can all make a huge difference. And it depends what style of music you're playing as well. I've played a ton of other amps and I wouldn't trade this one for any of them.

Latest posts

Back