JUST PLAYED A MINI RECTIFIER!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back from a second test-drive of the Mini. It is a really, really great amp, and at this time, i will say that I absolutely like the 2nd channel more than channels 3 and 4 of the roadster. EL84s rule.....I checked it out dry yesterday, then today I brought in my guitar and a GT8 to hook up 4CM...it sounded really good. I honestly like this amp MORE than a Single, Dual or Triple.
The size is also cool- and the ability to push the power tubes is great- bedroom to stage, this amp looks to be a game changer for Mesa. The shop doesnt have the cabs yet- they are en route- but after they come and I have a chance to demo it- if it sounds simiolar to the recto 212 cab I have been playing- i may turn my Ultra for a Mini and a cab.......for real....

Thanks Don for your videos.

I have a TA-30 and not having played with the Mini Rec yet, I was wandering what I would be missing from the TA if I changed it for the Mini ?

GuyB said:

I have a TA-30 and not having played with the Mini Rec yet, I was wandering what I would be missing from the TA if I changed it for the Mini ?

Having had a TA 15, I would say you would be missing the tweed setting if you switched. Not saying you could not get close on the mini recto. I found my ta-15, and even the ta-30s with the gain boost, lacked the gain I was after on some songs. The PUSHed channel 1 on the mini with the gain cranked has as much gain as the TA-15 had total.

Channel 2 in vintage, gain setting around 11-12, was like my TA-15 maxed. Channel 2 modern...FORGET ABOUT IT!

try one out...you will be pleased. The EL84s really help retain alot of the classic tones of the TAs

Laskyman said:
I just got back from a second test-drive of the Mini. ...then today I brought in my guitar and a GT8 to hook up 4CM...it sounded really good. I honestly like this amp MORE than a Single, Dual or Triple.

Another GT8 user here! And I just got a Mini Recto too (see my post on the Rectifier forum).

Anyway, I'd really like to get your 4 cables patch/setting just to compare them with mine. Would it be possible to do so?

GuyB said:

The Vox sounds and the reverb! If you really dig the tones in the top boost mode, there is nothing in the MINI that even remotely resembles that.

Conversely, there's nothing in the TA-30 that remotely resembles the Vintage or Modern modes in the MINI. :D

There's a lot of really good reverb units out there too, to solve that problem.

HaggertysMusic said:
GuyB said:

The Vox sounds and the reverb! If you really dig the tones in the top boost mode, there is nothing in the MINI that even remotely resembles that.

Conversely, there's nothing in the TA-30 that remotely resembles the Vintage or Modern modes in the MINI. :D

There's a lot of really good reverb units out there too, to solve that problem.

Are there any reverb units in particular that you'd recommend? The TC Hall Of Fame and Line 6 Verbzilla have really caught my eye because of all the different options. I'm interested in the Boss Fender 63 Reverb Pedal as well.

HaggertysMusic said:

maybe I was assumeing the TA-15 and TA-30 were similar in tone. When I traded my TA-15 in for the mini, we had them back to back on the same cab. The TA-15 tone on HI-1, with the gain around 3pm was almost identical with the Mini, channel two, vintage, gain around 10. Forget the modern mode...its not even close. The key here too is the PRESENSE...it really helps shape the tone too. I find is just as useful as the three band EQ section.

The only way to know is to try one out. I always recomend using your own, or same type of cab if you can. I use a little Avatar 1x12 so it is easily transported. IF you are using a 4x12 that is not always the case!!! :lol:
Cabs and speaker choice can really effect your tone. You want to make sure it soulds the same when you get it home. If you cannot bring your cab, most good stores have a decent return policy if you do not like it.

GuitarGuy503 said:
Are there any reverb units in particular that you'd recommend? The TC Hall Of Fame and Line 6 Verbzilla have really caught my eye because of all the different options. I'm interested in the Boss Fender 63 Reverb Pedal as well.

I would avoid the Boss 63 Reverb at all costs. :lol:

If reverb is something important to you, I would step it up to something like a Strymon Blue Sky. That thing is amazing. Or you could hunt down a used Damage Control Glass Nexus (Strymon used to be Damage Control). They're not in production anymore, but they are also fantastic if you can find one and it has delay and mod in addition to reverb.

I was learning a new song...Zep of course...so I thought I would record some mini recto tone. This is thru an avatar 1x12 v30. All controls but volume and gain set to 12. Channel 2, vintage. 10 watt mode. I toggle the gain from 10, to 12, to 2PM. I like 12 the best. Sorry for my playing...just learning the song and bends...

http://soundcloud.com/dmraco/mesa

Sounds good dmraco! I also prefer the clip with the gain at 12.

I made a few clips myself too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxZpsV65WqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo01SKKAbhI

http://snd.sc/soLhUf

BenoA said:
Sounds good dmraco! I also prefer the clip with the gain at 12.

I made a few clips myself too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxZpsV65WqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo01SKKAbhI

http://snd.sc/soLhUf

Very nice...where was your gain on the 1st two clips? Sounds great. Your studio seems well thought out.

I find 12-2 is the sweet spot on the vintage channel! Sometimes have to dial it back when I play at church :lol: :evil:

Considering getting a SONIC STOMP. Cool video on you tube with one...any experience here?

dmraco said:
Very nice...where was your gain on the 1st two clips? Sounds great. Your studio seems well thought out.

I find 12-2 is the sweet spot on the vintage channel! Sometimes have to dial it back when I play at church :lol: :evil:

All infos were available on the sound/video page but I cut/pasted them here:

[1st clip] Video clip done with SM57:

Recording setup:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Peavey Triple XXX 4x12 cab
Ernie Ball Music Man JP6
Mic Shure SM57
Line6 UX2 USB interface
Reaper

Mini Recto settings:

Lead:
Channel: modern
Gain: 3 o'clock
Treble: 3 o'clock
Mid: 11 o'clock
Bass: 1 o'clock
Presence: 3 o'clock
Master: very low! :)

Rhythm:
Channel: vintage
Gain: 12 o'clock
Treble: 3 o'clock
Mid: 11 o'clock
Bass: 1 o'clock
Presence: 3 o'clock
Master: very low! :)

Some delay and reverb added on the lead track during final mixing.

--------

[2nd clip] From camera mic: distorted channel, switch was set to modern, 10 watts mode. Gain around 3 o'clock if I remember well. Cab is a Peavey Triple XXX 4x12 and guitar was a EBMM JP6.

--------

[3rd clip] Recorded with iPhone and iRig Recorder app:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Cab: Peavey Triple XXX 4x12. Guitar: Music Man JP6
Settings (all o'clock)
Gain: 2
Treble: 3
Mid: 11
Bass: 1
Master: 7.5

Distorted channel: vintage mode on 10 watts mode

dmraco said:
Considering getting a SONIC STOMP. Cool video on you tube with one...any experience here?

Used to own one, never really liked it but YMMV. I always prefered the sound without it and I felt I would be lost in the mix more easily when using it. Sold it to get some more ca$h to buy the Mini Recto. :mrgreen:

HaggertysMusic said:
GuitarGuy503 said:

If reverb is something important to you, I would step it up to something like a Strymon Blue Sky. That thing is amazing. Or you could hunt down a used Damage Control Glass Nexus (Strymon used to be Damage Control). They're not in production anymore, but they are also fantastic if you can find one and it has delay and mod in addition to reverb.

Thanks for the recommendations, although, I was unable to find a used Damage Control unit via Ebay and the Strymon Blue Sky is $150 more than I want to spend. Having said that, what would you recommend in the $100-$150 range? I do want a good reverb unit but can't justify more than $150 at the moment. Thanks Don.... :)

GuitarGuy503 said:
HaggertysMusic said:
GuitarGuy503 said:

Thanks for the recommendations, although, I was unable to find a used Damage Control unit via Ebay and the Strymon Blue Sky is $150 more than I want to spend. Having said that, what would you recommend in the $100-$150 range? I do want a good reverb unit but can't justify more than $150 at the moment. Thanks Don.... :)

I have an EHX Holy Grail in the loop...seems to work very well. I am not into HUGE verb. Usually keep it on the spring setting around 9AM. I think they are around $75-100
http://www.ehx.com/products/holy-grail

dmraco said:
I have an EHX Holy Grail in the loop...seems to work very well. I am not into HUGE verb. Usually keep it on the spring setting around 9AM. I think they are around $75-100

Thanks I'll have to check it out. I'm just looking to add some depth to my clean channel. I've always been happy running my lead channel dry, although, it might be cool to try some reverb on the lead channel for something different. :mrgreen:

GuitarGuy503 said:
dmraco said:

Thanks I'll have to check it out. I'm just looking to add some depth to my clean channel. I've always been happy running my lead channel dry, although, it might be cool to try some reverb on the lead channel for something different. :mrgreen:

the loop really adds some punch too. no tone lost there...actually a little boost.

dmraco said:
GuitarGuy503 said:
dmraco said:

the loop really adds some punch too. no tone lost there...actually a little boost.

yeah sounds great with effects in the loop. no tone loss that i can hear.

Latest posts

Back