Just noticed that Mesa's released new Dual/Triple Rectos...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it's the first time I've seen it.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Dual_Rectifier/DualRectifier-2010.html

Dual-Jute-slide.jpg

TRec-Front-Grill-slide.jpg

Rear-Panel.jpg

MultiWattSlide.jpg

50w/100w, channel assignable

channel assignable rectifier

Looks like they've switched to a series FX loop

Tuner out w/mute

And the blurb says they've retooled the clean channel, raw and modern modes.

As an added bonus, you're not stuck with the aluminium treadplate anymore.

Personally love the metal faceplates so i hope theyre still an option :p ive been seriously considering an upgrade from my single recto solo 50 to a 2010 DR. I really need that extra channel and the fact you can switch to 50 watts makes it look veryyy nice. Im also sick of having a stupid parallel fx loop so seeing mesa implement the series one is another step forward. From what ive read in some guitar mags the amp still has the amazing tone. I think ill have to wait till they start showing up on the second hand market though...

Those have been out for a few months now, but haven't heard too much about them. They are available with three different faceplate options, they still have the metal plate available :D . What little I have heard of them they are most similar to the previous 3 channel but with a few tweaks. Revoice to the clean and Raw modes I think. Wouldn't mind trying one out myself.

It's a totally different amp. It's taken all the good aspect of the Recto and taken away that 'over-the-topness' that bottlenecked it to a niche of old school metallers and rockers. You can still get those 3CH recto tones, but it has the ability to tone it down, with hints of the Original 2CH. The Clean channel has gone from being lifeless to better than most - not just 'good for a metal amp' but genuinely great.

I really rate these heads, being a Roadster owner, if I were to buy a second head for something a bit different, the Dual Rectifier Solo 100 would be back on the list. It's nothing like the Road series heads, it's still got that much bigger, recto sound it's just so much better to work with, so much more refined.

I really loved this amp, and if it weren't for the scary new prices, would serious have considered one before buying my latest guitar. Unfortunately with updates come price hikes.

I know what you mean.

I have an original 2 channel Recto, but I'd gladly grab a new one for the extra channel if it 1) sounded good, and 2) I could actually afford it.

Maybe some day...

screamingdaisy said:
I know what you mean.

I have an original 2 channel Recto, but I'd gladly grab a new one for the extra channel if it 1) sounded good, and 2) I could actually afford it.

Maybe some day...

Blarg, too much money! I'd rather get an amp dedicated to creating a great clean tone and just AB that with my Dual. The only downside is lugging more gear around! A great option would be a Laney VC 30 which is basically a class A 30 watt amp in the spirit of of a Vox AC30. For $800 one can have a nice warm and bouncy clean tone to complement the crushing power of the Dual. With the way the market is, you'd lose at least $800 trying to sell a 2 channel Dual and buy a new 3 channel one. If I was to 'upgrade' I'd take either a Roadster or an Electradyne but that seems like far too much of a cash loss for essentially a swap. It would simply be so much better to have a dedicated clean amp where one could use any variety of open back cab to get a great clean!

erectifier said:
Im also sick of having a stupid parallel fx loop so seeing mesa implement the series one is another step forward.
I'm curious about this because I've seen this opinion echoed in a number of places and I would have thought a parallel loop would be more desireable.

In a series loop, all of your sound quality is at the mercy of the effects processor. If the A/D and D/A convertors are less than perfect, your whole sound is degraded. In a parallel loop, the dry signal passes straight through so it isn't affected by the shortcomings of extra cable and A/D convertors, etc.

But I guess I'm missing something because a lot of people seem to want series loops.

You're right that it sounds like parallel should be better in theory, but here's what happens in practice...

The A/D-D/A conversion in the effects unit causes latency - a short time delay, so the effected signal is out of sync with the original - and which also applies to the dry part of the signal via the processor in almost all digital processors (some do keep the dry path analog, but most don't). This is usually so short that it's not noticeable as an audible delay, but... if you then mix it with an undelayed dry signal, you get a nasty 'comb-filtering' effect like a stuck flanger. Depending on the exact latency and so where the notches in the comb filter fall in relation to your note frequencies, at best it makes the tone just a little worse, at worst it screws up the tone and volume completely. You can get around it by having the FX unit set to 100% wet, so there is no delayed dry signal to mix with the undelayed one, but this is only possible if you only have one FX unit in the loop (since each one needs dry signal to work with, not just the effect portion of the previous unit), and then only if you want to be stuck with one wet/dry mix, which is not likely to work if you use different programs.

What's worse is that the Mesa parallel loop is quite crude - in a well-designed one, you can cure all the above problems by turning the loop mix up to full (no dry signal), which effectively makes it series. But the Mesa loop works simply by feeding both signals to each end of a single pot track, so neither can actually be turned right off, just reduced to a low level. This low level is still enough for the latency effect to occur. Even worse, it can also allow some signal from the FX unit's output to feed back to its input, which exaggerates the problem even if it doesn't cause stability issues.

Even with analog effects, there can sometimes be problems with phase (some FX units have their outputs out of phase with the input, which is again not noticeable in normal in-line use) and feedback.

*All* these problems are eliminated by simply removing the dry path through the parallel loop, and so it's a common mod that many people do to their Mesas... Mesa have just finally taken notice.

YellowJacket said:
screamingdaisy said:
I know what you mean.

Maybe some day...

Blarg, too much money! I'd rather get an amp dedicated to creating a great clean tone and just AB that with my Dual. The only downside is lugging more gear around! A great option would be a Laney VC 30 which is basically a class A 30 watt amp in the spirit of of a Vox AC30. For $800 one can have a nice warm and bouncy clean tone to complement the crushing power of the Dual. With the way the market is, you'd lose at least $800 trying to sell a 2 channel Dual and buy a new 3 channel one. If I was to 'upgrade' I'd take either a Roadster or an Electradyne but that seems like far too much of a cash loss for essentially a swap. It would simply be so much better to have a dedicated clean amp where one could use any variety of open back cab to get a great clean!

I can't be bothered carrying that much **** around anymore.

Besides, all I'd need to do is introduce some 3 channel user to this forum and inside a week he'd be so convinced that he was stuck with this big pile of **** of an amplifier that he'd trade me both his amp and his sister just to get my 2 channel. :lol:

screamingdaisy said:
Besides, all I'd need to do is introduce some 3 channel user to this forum and inside a week he'd be so convinced that he was stuck with this big pile of sh!t of an amplifier that he'd trade me both his amp and his sister just to get my 2 channel. :lol:

bahahhahha :lol:

LOL, well if the 3 channel owner has a hot sister it might be worth it =-p

I noticed they were selling VoxAC30s for $1000 ish canadian so I got curious. I remember these things just having the wonderfully rich and warm brown sound that just dripped with liquid tube goodness. I inquired why they were at such a low price point and the salesdude informed me that these amps are now built in china and come with 'chinese greenback' speakers.
Anyway, I tried it and it was bright and twangy, even with the NECK pickup on a Les Paul. Something is definitely wrong here. Not impressed. The Electra Dyne is a much superior clean amp to the chinese vox and it has a couple of cooking lead channels to boot. (Heck, the clean on my Dual slays that thing) I was told there is a more expensive version of the AC30 with Alnico Blue speakers but come on, greenbacks SHOULDN'T sound bad. What is it with all our hallowed music companies outsourcing production to companies who don't give a **** about quality or good tone? Props to Mesa for only offering a top line of amps and not selling any of this entry level crap. At least I know if I pay an extra grand for an Electra Dyne, I'm getting a good amp I'll be happy with. Stupid!

I mostly played bass amps today but I was very shocked with how GOOD the clean is on a 2 channel dual when compared with the competition. =-( The marked has CHANGED from when I was shopping, and the change is not a good one. A little off topic, another shocking revelation was when comparing an epiphone Les Paul to a Godin LG. I bought my LG about eleven or twelve years ago because I wanted to learn guitar. At that time, it utterly annihilated any Epiphone guitar both in terms of sound and playability but I was shocked to find out that now, the LG is far worse than it was and the Epi far better. The net result is that they are now pretty comparable with how they played and felt, the only difference being the stock Seymour Duncan SP-90 in the LG, which would guarantee a better sounding instrument. I have made blind recommendations on Godins since their instruments have been a fantastic buy for the money for many years. Maybe this one was a lemon but it is sad if the quality has sunk this far in the last ten years. I, for one, do not like buying crap.

Latest posts

Back