Just found out Mesa is discontinuing the Mark IV's…

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I got my new MKIV head a couple of months ago. No one seems to mention the combos, are they discontinued too ?? Personally my R2 sounds really good for rhythm and leads, lots of crunch and dynamics and quite 'loose'. Dunno what you lot are doing wrong ?? The Recto Std 4x12 loosens the sound up a treat, maybe it's that or the guitars I use, but it is very usable. It sounds very similar to Vintage mode on my Single Rec. As for this 'cold bias', personally I don't have an issue with it, but if you do, just fit some tubes that run hotter (at your own risk of course) what's the big deal ?? A lot of this is all in the mind imho, I let my ears do the deciding. And they like !! :D

LEVEL4 said:
Has anyone confirmed that Mesa is discontinuing the entire Mark IV line? I called Mesa two weeks ago, and all they said was that they were discontinuing the short head.
Well, the way Mesa build amps is that they just build one model at a time. So they'll build only Rectifiers for a couple of weeks, and then switch and only build lonestars....etc.

So if they were to stop building the MKIV, they would probably do one final run of the short chassis version (filling all existing orders, and not taking any more), and then after that build the medium chassis version.

I don't know if anything at all has been confirmed tbh, but it does sound like if you want a brand new MKIV (medium), it'd probably be prudent to order asap.

****, what a shame. No matter how great the Mark V will be, I'm always going to honor the Mark IV for being the greatest, not to mention the longest, culmination of the Mark series! And I truly regret that I won't be able to get a new one anymore. Should've saved up the money sooner..

reo73 said:
I don't think they would just discontinue the Mark IV in favor of reissuing the IIC+. Both those amps could coexist in the current market. I think it is a Mark V and will be 2 channels having controls laid out more akin to the Lonestar amps. I think moving forward you are going to see the Lonestar amps and Mark V be the staple of the company.

Of course I have no basis for thinking this what-so-ever.

I doubt it will be two channels. The Mark line has way much more to offer than just two settings! Seeing that a lot of people struggle with getting satisfying rhythm and lead tones from Ch. 3 on the Mark IV, and most want a better Ch. 2, it's more probable that it'll have 4 channels, and be a sort of "counter-model" to the Road King. And probably improved layout, perhaps even more features and switching/control possibilities and added versality, much in the direction of the Road King's features, hopefully.

I just hope it's not a completely new and different Mark model. Though that would really be interesting and exiting, I don't think that it is something that should replace the Mark IV. Most people love it just the way it is, and it's really a hallmark of the Mark series, concidering its **** long production run! So if that's the case, they should have kept the IV's in production along with the new one, in my opinion. We'll see!

voodoo_child said:
LEVEL4 said:
Has anyone confirmed that Mesa is discontinuing the entire Mark IV line? I called Mesa two weeks ago, and all they said was that they were discontinuing the short head.
Well, the way Mesa build amps is that they just build one model at a time. So they'll build only Rectifiers for a couple of weeks, and then switch and only build lonestars....etc.

So if they were to stop building the MKIV, they would probably do one final run of the short chassis version (filling all existing orders, and not taking any more), and then after that build the medium chassis version.

I don't know if anything at all has been confirmed tbh, but it does sound like if you want a brand new MKIV (medium), it'd probably be prudent to order asap.

No more short head runs. I ordered one last year and received one damaged. I ordered another one in January and Boogie wont build it. My dealer refunded my money...

At this point I just don’t see how this can mean anything but the pending release of a Mark IV replacement, with whatever name, for a few simple reasons.

The Mark IV is still profitable and seems have regained popularity recently and it makes no business sense to walk away from it by simply halting production without a plan in place to maintain or grow that profit with a new product. Those in the market for a Mark are not necessarily just going to grab another Mesa product if it’s not available as they are just too dissimilar. No one wants to lose market share.

They’re not going to replace the Mark IV with any kind of reissue as that’s a step backwards and I’ve never seen accompany do that before. They may have a reissue but not as a replacement.

Here is my completely useless and warrantless prediction:

I would like to see a Four channel Big Daddy amp and a two Channel Little Daddy amp. A Mark V and a Mark V Lite. The lite could be set up like a IIC+ or a III, while the big one would need more real estate for controls.

Octavarius said:
I doubt it will be two channels. The Mark line has way much more to offer than just two settings! Seeing that a lot of people struggle with getting satisfying rhythm and lead tones from Ch. 3 on the Mark IV, and most want a better Ch. 2, it's more probable that it'll have 4 channels, and be a sort of "counter-model" to the Road King. And probably improved layout, perhaps even more features and switching/control possibilities and added versality, much in the direction of the Road King's features, hopefully.

I don't agree. I think guitarists are going back to roots more and want less bells and whistles. What is it that you see the most criticism of with the Mark IV....too many controls, too much tweaking. They already have that amp in the Roadking. I think Randall has found his holy grail clean tone in the Lonestar and I bet he will pair that channel up with the classic Mark IIC+ or IV Lead tone in a two channel amp with some other switches to help get you into a more medium gain territory. And, of course, the Graphic EQ will allow for a lot more tone shaping. So, I stand by my prediction of a 2 channel Mark V.

But, again I have no basis for this prediction....or do I??? :wink:

Does anyone know, on average, how long Mesa Boogie usually takes between product unveiling and availability to retail? Obviously anything new would be introduced at summer NAMM next month.

As far as enhancement to the Mark series is concerned, I know it's been discussed before but I'm not really sure what they could do in terms of new features that I'd be looking for. I'm sure they could refine existing features and I'm sure they don't want to move it any closer to any of the existing rectifiers in terms of sound.

Perhaps they could replace the graphic eq with five dials that do the same thing. I'm sure that's seen as sacrilege, though I expect that would be cheaper and a better use of chassis space. Perhaps it would allow for a set for each channel. I could also see expanding it to a four channel setup like the roadking etc. I'd expect you'd likely see the removal of some of the pull dials which would be replaced by mini switches. Ah, who knows it's just speculation on my part.

They have probably stopped building short MKIV heads, so they can use those chassis and shells for the MKV :wink:

I always thought the Road King/Roadster was the heir apparent of the Mark line. More knobs, more channels, more tube choices, more everything. Even a bigger foot switch.
I'd vote for a IIC+ reissue, but Mesa would never go back to all that expensive hand-wiring (a big reason for the Mark III).
The resulting amp would have way fewer features, but cost the same as a RK.
OK, I'd still buy one...

MrMarkIII said:
I always thought the Road King/Roadster was the heir apparent of the Mark line. More knobs, more channels, more tube choices, more everything. Even a bigger foot switch.
I'd vote for a IIC+ reissue, but Mesa would never go back to all that expensive hand-wiring (a big reason for the Mark III).
OK, I'd still buy one...

features/tweakability maybe, but does the Road King share any sonic ground with the Mk Series amps? I've never played one, but I've owned several Dual Rectifiers, and IMHO there's almost no similarity in tone between the two lines.

adrenaline junkie said:
MrMarkIII said:
OK, I'd still buy one...

features/tweakability maybe, but does the Road King share any sonic ground with the Mk Series amps? I've never played one, but I've owned several Dual Rectifiers, and IMHO there's almost no similarity in tone between the two lines.

I agree. So does Randall. He's moved on.

I don't know why people complain about the temperamental nature of the MKIV. In my mind it's the ultimate studio amp, and I'd never use one to gig with live. Otherwise, I reckon I'd have the same complaints as some of you out there that whine about its over-versatility.

I've heard what that camp can do in experienced hands and every channel is amazing in its own right. The problem is that I never heard one used live with 3 balanced and amazing channels. I'm not saying that an ideal setting isn't out there, it just seem like R2 has to be compromised when used live.

As far as the amp being too tight- go play on a VHT! They make your strings feel like piano wire.

MrMarkIII said:
I always thought the Road King/Roadster was the heir apparent of the Mark line. More knobs, more channels, more tube choices, more everything..

This is a wonderfully useless thread, so let me contribute. I believe the RK/RST are heirs of the Recto world, and the Lonestar is the heir to the Mark line. Consider the Lonestar the Mark V if you will.

I believe all Mark's are great yet different. Obviously from the more knowledgeable contributors to this site the C+ is the best, but this does not diminish any other Mark IMHO. They each stand on their own merits. Now from what I have read it is the C+'s clean channel that sets it apart, correct? Obviously the lead channel is great as well, but the clean is the real deal. However the Lonestar seems to reclaim the best clean in the Mesa line and from my limited experience the lead channel of the Lonestar is not quite Boogie. Perhaps the new Mark will finalize this last step, providing a clean channel that is king and a lead channel that provides a worthwhile next step in the Mark lineage. It is quite possible that the next great Mesa amp will elegantly tie both the Recto line and Mark line in one neat package.

phyrexia said:
Mesa will not be at Summer NAMM.
Is this true? If so that's very odd being they had little to show at the winter NAMM yet still had a booth.

I have been waiting for my custom short head, which was ordered in January. Today makes 14 weeks, and I was informed by my dealer that Mesa will not make my short head, but they will make me a medium head. This is after the rep promised my dealer I would get the short version I ordered in January. Oh well, at least I will still get a custom Mark IV before they become extinct.

I do have to praise my dealer though, I purchased a second Thiele cabinet for the Mark IV about two months ago. I don't have the money to purchase a larger cabinet for the medium head at this time, so currently I have no cabs wide enough for a medium head. My dealer offered a trade, and he is going to take my Thiele cab and swap it out directly for a new Widebody cab. All is well now, and thanks to Front Porch Music in Bakersfield for accomodating me.

Latest posts

Back