Just found out Mesa is discontinuing the Mark IV's…

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimmyB said:
That's why I wrote that I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of an on-going disinformation campaign to keep us buzzing about it, while misdirecting us in the most entertaining ways... different dealers being told different "official" stories at different times... :lol: :wink:

Man, these ain't the pre-Normandy invasion days here; why would Mesa spend the engery misdirecting us? The only people I am aware of who would be frothing at the mouth for a C+ re-issue would be us. Why spend all of the time and capital re-tooling or re-acquiring parts for a long gone amp that would likely be made in limited quantity?

Aside from the geeks at this forum and a few more scattered elsewhere, most people don't even know wtf a C+ is. Why would they reissue a C+ instead of blowing the doors open with a Mark5? I doubt the C+ would sell that well...Why wait 2 decades just to release something from 30 years back? Is Mesa turning into Marshall?

As far as building a new run of say 1000 or so C+'s I would think it would be a peice of cake for mesa to do. Having a batch of trannies made up would be no big deal and the complexity of manufacturing the C+ in comparison to say a Road King or a Nomad or a Mark IV is very minor. The actual circuitry in a C+ is really quite uncomplicated compared to many of the amps they now produce. Having worked in a small scale electronics manufacturing company I can see how it would be easier to run off a batch of C+'s and maybe even cheaper now than it would have been in 1983 given today's improved manufacturing techniques . If Randall just wanted to he could have say even a hundred circuit boards etched up and build them one at a time on order and charge boutique prices. I for one would rather see a Mark IVc or a Mark V that was based more closely to the C+ sound but with the extra features and channels of the IV.

Restless Rocks said:
As far as building a new run of say 1000 or so C+'s I would think it would be a peice of cake for mesa to do. Having a batch of trannies made up would be no big deal and the complexity of manufacturing the C+ in comparison to say a Road King or a Nomad or a Mark IV is very minor. The actual circuitry in a C+ is really quite uncomplicated compared to many of the amps they now produce. Having worked in a small scale electronics manufacturing company I can see how it would be easier to run off a batch of C+'s and maybe even cheaper now than it would have been in 1983 given today's improved manufacturing techniques . If Randall just wanted to he could have say even a hundred circuit boards etched up and build them one at a time on order and charge boutique prices. I for one would rather see a Mark IVc or a Mark V that was based more closely to the C+ sound but with the extra features and channels of the IV.

Exactly. Plus, it doesn't seem that reasonable to go back to the IIC+, really, in practical sense. I mean, having one myself, yes, the sound is gorgeous, but considering features for live usage, etc. it's far from keeping up with amps made today, like the Road King, for instance. And there's really no reason why they couldn't keep both the IIC+ and the Mark IV in production at the same time. I'm guessing it'll be just a further development in the Mark line. And really hoping for more practical live solutions like more channels, easier layout, more assignment options with the loop(s) and EQ(s), (obviously requiring a bigger chassis) and even progressive linkage and cabinet switching and stuff like that.

Generally, I'd want it to be something like the Road King, only a Mark. With Graphic EQ, and the same control functions like on the Mark IV. I just love how the Road King is set up, with it's features and all. It's just so versatile with all its bells and whistles. I've never encountered a head that is so great set up for live usage. Problem is, I just don't really dig the Recto tone. I mean, it's cool, but it's still only one sound to me. While I find myself going from smooth hollowbody jazz tones to heavy Petrucci-esque rhythms on the same amp (my IIC+), and that's what I love about the Marks. They are just so **** versatile in tone. But like I said, when it comes to switching and features, my Mark is just lacking. And I find it very hard to get all the tones that I want live. In studio, it's perfect, but not live, in my opinion. In practical sense, of course. The tone is still gorgeous!

And it's because of that, I think a new Mark model deserves the versality of features found in the Road King even more, actually. Given the extreme diversity in tones they can produce, I'm hoping for at least four channels with even perhaps two fully assignable graphic equalizers (maybe a new, more compact EQ design?), as the foundation. And of course, lots of bells on whistles found on both models. Voicing switches, pull functions, progressive linkage, loop assignment, tuner out, and stuff like that.

However, it would also be cool with a smaller, simpler Mark model. With two channels perhaps, laid out a lot like the Lonestars. I would really want the Mark line to grow a bit, seeing as many Rectifier models, and Lonestars, etc. The Marks are really great amps, perhaps harder to dial in, and that may turn off many users at first, but still, they deserve a bit more recognition, in my opinion. And if Mesa started to market some new Mark models, I think they would get a lot of popularity as well.

I could see a replacement coming in the same headshell as a 3-ch Rec, and with pretty much the same functionality. Contour knobs instead of the 5-band, and much less (than the MKIV) in terms of switches or push pulls. Probably voice it in such a way as you get the 'classic' Mark sounds immediately with all the knobs pretty much at noon.

I really doubt it would have the switchable power stuff off the Roadking...or all the different options and loops. I think they would keep it pretty simple to begin with.

Restless Rocks said:
If Randall just wanted to he could have say even a hundred circuit boards etched up and build them one at a time on order and charge boutique prices.

They are pretty firm about this now, especially after Bogner went to Line 6 - have you seen the new line? "We don't have a custom shop. We Are a custom shop." They are pretty proud of the fact they don't have a cheapy version - everything from a 5:25 to a RKII is built the same way and goes through the same QC.

Latest posts

Back