Just 'discovered' channel 2 crunch.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professoro

Reaction score
So after watching the Petrucci vids I used his channel 2 crunch setting as a base.
Today I kicked my amp on using variac at 90 watts and did some more tweaking and bam! There's that killer over driven Brit sound I wanted. The mid range just has such a spank to it. I'm loving it as my replica tone of mastodons crack the Skye album. I also managed to match it so that channel 3 on mark iv is a more cutting but tighter and modern equivalent. Channel 2 definitely has some serious gain on it and the variac mode is a whole other game.

Good Call man. The Variac mode has some awesome tone and feel to it with the crunch mode CH2.
Gotta mention that my channel 2 got EVEN BETTER with a set of EL34's.

For some reason I cant get enough upper mid crunch in crunch mode....always sounds too dark.( any guitar I use) So I useEdge for a bit more touch sensitivity and a better in between clean / dirty sound.. just have to watch that mode from getting too thin by keeping presence lower.

When I screw around in MArk I and go to Crunch it sounds better....must be a relative hearing issue. Maybe Ill try starting my rehearsal in Crunch so I dont get used to the higher mids in Edge first.

scoden said:
For some reason I cant get enough upper mid crunch in crunch mode....always sounds too dark.( any guitar I use) So I useEdge for a bit more touch sensitivity and a better in between clean / dirty sound.. just have to watch that mode from getting too thin by keeping presence lower.

When I screw around in MArk I and go to Crunch it sounds better....must be a relative hearing issue. Maybe Ill try starting my rehearsal in Crunch so I dont get used to the higher mids in Edge first.
did you dial the bass way back on crunch? if not, this may be why it seems dark. then dial back in some brilliance with the presence. not too much though, since the channel is so midrange-focused it tends to get peaky.

i run el34b's, 90w, o'clock settings: gain 12-2:30 depending on mood, treble 1, mids>2 sometimes all the way up, bass 9, presence 9, master to taste. this gets a real classic rock tone, zep etc.

depends on your pickups too. if you use a les paul with the medium/hot humbuckers, that'll might be just right, maybe even too middy. i use a d sonic in the bridge of my les paul so it's cutting and defined, hence the low presence. ymmv. you could always try dialing in the mids with the geq if worst comes to worst, then use the preset for ch 3 if it's going to be totally different (e.g. scooped) or not at all if you see fit.

just my $0.02. cheers!

Latest posts

Back