JP2C with Helix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Holy cow, what a combo! I forgot how awesome it is to have high gain with no noise! Ha ha. Just using a couple things now, but wow, what a difference. Compressor for the cleans: no more hitting a chord and getting thrown to the back wall. Hard gate on the brutal high gain, I'm using Ola's setting, works like a champ. Zero noise. Super high gain. A little delay for leads, ahhhhh.... I only have a midi cable between the JP2C and Helix, I have yet to hook up the pedalboard, but at least I can change JP2C channels now with only the turn of the Helix preset knob, so that's cool. Anybody hooking up a Helix or AxeFx or another 4-CM FX?

Man, fine tuning the compressor really honed in on some great clean tones. I think I have the pop thing when switching, but only the first time around, I'll verify with faster midi foot switching. If so, not a big deal, just have to do the channel sweep at start up, like the rectos. Now that I'm messing more with this amp, I'm really having that extra appreciation for it. Just an amazing amp. Leads with delay, *drool*

Anybody hooking up a Helix or AxeFx or another 4-CM FX?
Oh yea. GT-1000 Core in 4CM with every Mesa :) Used to run a GT-100 but now it's gathering dust... the Core is superior with the effects quality, plus it's located back at the amp and run a FCB1010 for midi control up front. The only drawback is remembering which stomp footswitches do what.

The JP2C does have that midi control which is very cool.

That is a sweet set up, I was actually considering getting the core myself! I'm coming from a Rocktron, so I like not having to deal with scenes, and I very much like the 1-128 numbering instead of 01A-32D. I think the Core is the only other FX that lets me do that. Plus, I like the idea of 10 patches per bank instead of 8 scenes per preset. I use two DSPs in the Helix for instant switching, so I don't even deal with scenes. I know the core has instant switching too, that's cool. I've got a Lexicon midi pedal that's pretty sweet. To just simply change a couple of channels with a couple of fx with the tap of ONE switch is just dreamy. And that Mesa tone... I feel so spoiled :) The contrast between the super cleans and super dirties makes it surreal. Quiet operation. Ok that's it, time for some riffs, ha ha...

I've got a Lexicon midi pedal that's pretty sweet. To just simply change a couple of channels with a couple of fx with the tap of ONE switch is just dreamy.
Curious which model Lexicon? The FCB1010 is pretty old school, no frills and archaic download process, but it works and is very cost effective.

FWIW I'm not sure the Boss is the best multi-fx solution but it's pretty good AFA I can tell. The problem in switching to anything else, for me is the learning curve. I do like the AXE stuff. But I've spent enough time trying to figure out $#!t with the Boss, especially the midi prog LOL and rather play or tweak patches then go down more rabbit holes, which has happened much too oftern. The change to the Core was not that daunting considering it's the same general mindset and terminology for their multi-fx models.

To just simply change a couple of channels with a couple of fx with the tap of ONE switch is just dreamy.
yea... especially live. Have realized over the years I really suck at the pedal stomp dance. These days just one between rhythm and solos is about all I can handle. :LOL:

Curious which model Lexicon? The FCB1010 is pretty old school, no frills and archaic download process, but it works and is very cost effective.

FWIW I'm not sure the Boss is the best multi-fx solution but it's pretty good AFA I can tell. The problem in switching to anything else, for me is the learning curve. I do like the AXE stuff. But I've spent enough time trying to figure out $#!t with the Boss, especially the midi prog LOL and rather play or tweak patches then go down more rabbit holes, which has happened much too oftern. The change to the Core was not that daunting considering it's the same general mindset and terminology for their multi-fx models.

yea... especially live. Have realized over the years I really suck at the pedal stomp dance. These days just one between rhythm and solos is about all I can handle. :LOL:
The Lexicon MPX-R1. I had the MPX-G2 once, with the jmp-1 and triaxis, but the JP2C/Helix combo stomps it by a mile. The MPX-G2 was the first, however, to incorporate the whole 4CM thing, so I have a huge respect for it.

I was looking at the FBC1010 with the extra EEPROM for momentary switching, that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind being able to step on for flange and step off to bypass, or ch switch, or a delay send. Maybe someday.

The learning curve with the Helix has not been bad at all for me, it's pretty easy. Especially compared to something like an Eventide DSP4000. I think they made it easy on purpose, they did a great job. I have the manual for the Boss, it doesn't look too bad.

Back