Jane's addiction & modal jazz

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting... But thinking modally is only one approach to harmony. It might be worth checking out Pat Martino's 2 volume instruction DVD set.

He plays over "modal" tunes often enough. But he always thinks in terms of a minor substitution over any particular diatonic set of chords. But his "minor" ideas are neither a minor (triad, 7th, 9th, etc.,) chord nor a minor scale of some particular type but a general minor sounding phrase which is often very chromatic and might include chord tones or scale tones as he sees fit at the moment.

IMO, the Modal Master is John Mclaughlin. Check out the early Mahavishnu Orchestra Albums. Billy Cobham;drums Jan Hammer; keyboards Rick Laird; bass Jerry Goodman; violin and of course John McLaughlin 6 and 12 string electric and acoustic guitar. Every serious guitar player ought to at least listen to this stuff once (or more). I have every recording of John's that I can find and am always humbled by his mastery and creation of his own style.

Restless Rocks said:
IMO, the Modal Master is John Mclaughlin. Check out the early Mahavishnu Orchestra Albums. Billy Cobham;drums Jan Hammer; keyboards Rick Laird; bass Jerry Goodman; violin and of course John McLaughlin 6 and 12 string electric and acoustic guitar. Every serious guitar player ought to at least listen to this stuff once (or more). I have every recording of John's that I can find and am always humbled by his mastery and creation of his own style.

I know John Mclaughlin has released an instructional video for guitarists, duno if it is good or not :roll: ...

Latest posts

Back