It's here!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, if you're going for Load tone, you want a Recto model as they were definitely used on the album. If you still want versatility, the Road King is your best bet.

Iconoclysm said:
Yeah, if you're going for Load tone, you want a Recto model as they were definitely used on the album. If you still want versatility, the Road King is your best bet.

Actually while that was the first album they used the rectos on AND you can definitely nail those tones with a Tremoverb or Roadster, those tones are primarily Triaxis. Just sayin... :D

iceman said:
First off the tone is great on this amp. I'm just not finding the tighter bottom on the higher gain channels (maybe I shouldn't be expecting, I haven't had experience with the Mark series before). I understand it takes a while to dial in the "perfect" settings, but I think the core of the high gain settings isn't what I'm after. I hear Carlos Santa type sounds, liquid sustain etc and Metallica MOP, I'm looking more the Metallica Load tone/gain/crunch if you no what I mean. Part of the problem is the open back 1x12 and the room, I switched from basement type setting to bedroom and I like that sound better, also played it through a 2x12 closed back and that sounded better as well and through an iso cab that I have, but still didn't have the low end. The gain is more fizzy (not in a bad way) than crunching IMHO. I've been comparing it to a 2x12 roadster, the roadster can't touch the Mark tone wise, but I think the recto sound is more what I'm after right now. For leads and cleans the Mark wins but I'm looking for more crunchy rhythms. I've been looking for a new amp for a couple of years now, and final decided to purchase right around when the Mark V was announced so I decided to wait and see if it was right for me. If I could keep both the roadster and the Mark V that would pretty much heaven. I think I'll end up with a Mark V someday (head not combo though), but right now I just don't think its the sound I'm after.

You probably have already tried this, but just in case, here are some tips most of us here use to get the thick bottom end on the Mark IV. I assume they should work on the Mark V.

The key on the Mark IV is to keep the bass preamp control around 3 (or lower), and boost the bass with the graphic EQ. I put the 80HZ just below the top line (touching it).

If the Mark V is anything like the IV, your bass preamp control is pretty much mush after 4, and most keep it at 3 or lower, so make sure you do not have it any higher then 3.

By keeping the bass preamp low and the eq 80hz high you get the thickest tightest low end the Mark IV has to offer.

Maybe this will be the same on the V.

Now, I own a recto as well and I can tell you no amount of EQ is going to give you the recto growl and chugga chugga. If that is what you want then just go with the Roadster, it's an incredible amp

But it should do Master of Puppets and the Black Album effortlessy

The highest I dialed the bass to was 3 (9 o'clock), and did do the eq boost for the bass. The manual pointed out that the bass will start to get "flubby" on the high gain channels past 2.5 (~8 o'clock). So your advice appears to be still relevant for the Mark V. I did end up going with the roadster in the end though. I still have the great tones of the Mark V in grained in my brain though, but yes I was looking for the chugga chugga, not the creamier sound.

Back