Its come down to Stiletto Trident Vs. Triple Rec Vs. Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a MKIV b revision on Ebay right now with a buy it now of $1000. I don't know anything about the amp or the seller. I just happened across it while looking at Mesa stuff. If I didn't already have two MKIV's I'd probably jump on it.
Good luck with your quest for an amp!

SirJackdeFuzz said:
I too do not like the "new" JVM's - not my type of sound !

My only concern about the Stiletto Deuce (stage I and more so the II) is that i am affraid that the bass response is going to be too tight for my liking ! I like a loose bass response, i.e. NOT tight, like all the modern amps (Rec's, VHT's, Diezel and the like !)

When i say loose bass, think Fu Manchu/Electric Wizard.

Can the Deuce do "loose bass" ?

Many thanx again !
Jack

i think i know the amp for you.... the new egnater tourmaster..... its got the balls of the stiletto, modded marshall type tone except its a looser amp... there is no super tight super higain that i could get out of it..... its got just this great saggy tone to it.... it can go from mild crunch to higain just not super tight stuff like the rectos, vht, bogners..... and the cleans might be the best ive heard out of a multichannel amp.... ill venture to say as good if not better than a lonestar..... GCs are starting to stock them and a half stack can be had for 2000..... its an awesome value..... bets part is you can set each channel to a different wattage even down to 15 watts..... i think it might be right up your alley from your description

BTW, i think the Duece can get that loose bass your speaking of.... i think the egnater might be more in tune to what your looking for (no pun intended) but the duece can get you that

gnarwailnmt said:
Well. After lots of thinking, im still kinda stuck between a mark IV, a triple rec and the krankenstein.

I just got off the line with the nearest mesa dealer, and they said they can get me a new mark IV for 1899. which is pretty killer.

I think im going with the mark Iv, versatility over power. I also feel it has that amazing gain response because its not using the quad power tube section to push out 100 or even 120 watts, its pushing out 85, meaning it will be able to push more gain..right?

Anyways, Im leaning towards the Mark IV, with the krank and triple rec beating each other up for second. I dont mind that dude asking about stilettos because i was curious too, and still kind of am.

But for all of you out there...Its the mark IV...to the triple rec/krankenstein.

We're in the final inning as im making my desicion...keep it rolling

sounds like your pretty set on the mark iv so i would just pull the trigger... its a fantastic tone machine.... but as for your second place i'd put the roadster there over the other two..... better cleans than the triple and the krank, even better to my ears than the mark iv.... it definitely cant do exactly a mark iv so if the mark is the tone your going for then i'd stick with that.... but with the other two, roadtser outdoes them on all fronts and its only slightly more $$$ than the mark iv

jdurso said:
SirJackdeFuzz said:
I too do not like the "new" JVM's - not my type of sound !

My only concern about the Stiletto Deuce (stage I and more so the II) is that i am affraid that the bass response is going to be too tight for my liking ! I like a loose bass response, i.e. NOT tight, like all the modern amps (Rec's, VHT's, Diezel and the like !)

When i say loose bass, think Fu Manchu/Electric Wizard.

Can the Deuce do "loose bass" ?

Many thanx again !
Jack

i think i know the amp for you.... the new egnater tourmaster..... its got the balls of the stiletto, modded marshall type tone except its a looser amp... there is no super tight super higain that i could get out of it..... its got just this great saggy tone to it.... it can go from mild crunch to higain just not super tight stuff like the rectos, vht, bogners..... and the cleans might be the best ive heard out of a multichannel amp.... ill venture to say as good if not better than a lonestar..... GCs are starting to stock them and a half stack can be had for 2000..... its an awesome value..... bets part is you can set each channel to a different wattage even down to 15 watts..... i think it might be right up your alley from your description

BTW, i think the Duece can get that loose bass your speaking of.... i think the egnater might be more in tune to what your looking for (no pun intended) but the duece can get you that

WOW, again, GREAT info . . .

. . . thanx a milion man !

I saw/heard one clip of an EGNATER (do not know which model it was though), but did not think too mauch about it at the time, as the bloke (a Mr. DAY) played it in his house/living room !
Sounded wayyy to modern for me, but if there are other models that can do the JTM45 to JCM800, i MUST look into this brand !

Thank you very much
Jack

*off to GC site i go*

yes, im going to be going mesa.
Im just deciding between the MKIV and Triple Rec.

I love the sounds ive heard from mark IV's, and other people get great tones out of recs, though i have yet to get that "oh my god thats my killer tone" with a rec.

Im just wondering if a mark IV can put out the gain i want with drop c tunings.

I know most drop tuners head for a triple rec.

Yeah..its tough. $1900 is alot to spend.

I have a Single Rec and a MKIV. The clean sounds are similar, maybe the SR has a little more 'chime' to it. I don't use any distortion/overdrive pedals, and the biggest difference to my ears is between the wound and unwound strings. For big 5/6 string power chords the SR sounds great, but for riffing and palm muting the MKIV wins hands down. For solos the MKIV has a sweeter tone all round, and a fatter tone on the wound strings. At low volumes the MKIV still sounds good but the SR needs volume !!

Stiletto is a great amp but you are right to avoid it for the stuff you want to play.

I'd avoid the triple rec and go for a dual or the Mark IV. Think about it... do you REALLY need 150 watts?

Go to the Rigs and Tone section of this board. There is a post for the Stiletto doing metal, and it does it quite well from what I heard in the clip. It sold me on the amp.

At first, it sounded like the Recto was the amp for you because you mentioned you wanted deep aggressive tones. However, if you're looking to get definition on lower tunings, the Recto IS NOT the answer for that. Lower tunings will only make the recto less defined than what it already is.

The Mesa amp for your sound is either the Mark4 or something Mark-related, such as a Triaxis preamp. Otherwise, look into other companies such as Engl and VHT.

yeah, i already contacted my nearest dealer about the mark IV, he didnt have one in stock, but that means i could get one direct from mesa which would be nice. Im just waiting for him to get back to me on how long it will take mesa to throw a mark IV my way. Im going with the medium head.
I dont have the money to get it customized now...but i'd probably send it in later to get emerald croc skin and a wicker face plate...that'd be one sexy amp

Elpelotero said:
At first, it sounded like the Recto was the amp for you because you mentioned you wanted deep aggressive tones. However, if you're looking to get definition on lower tunings, the Recto IS NOT the answer for that. Lower tunings will only make the recto less defined than what it already is.

The Mesa amp for your sound is either the Mark4 or something Mark-related, such as a Triaxis preamp. Otherwise, look into other companies such as Engl and VHT.

while i think the recto cab handle low tuning if setup correctly..... i 100% agree with the vht/engl sound.... they definitely does lower tunings better

Definately try a Roadster if your dealer has one in stock. Lonestar+Dual Rec=Roadster. I think it's only about $100 more than a Dual Rec; I got mine for $1899+tax at Guitar Center in Manchester,Ct. If you decide on a Dual Rec upgrade to a Roadster; its a no brainer.

So i drove 2 hours to visit my mesa dealer today, nice guy btw. Anyways, if i want my mark IV, the next production line i cant get in on starts in july, meaning amp by end of august if lucky.

I also tried out the trip rect, the stiletto duece, and the roadster....

I FUCKING LOVE THE ROADSTER....

They didnt have a mark IV, but are expecting a combo(im wanting a head) at the end of may.

Should i wait till may, try out the mark IV, or take the roadster plunge?

God....this is going to go on forever

I would avoid the krankenstein, everyone I played sounded thin. I just could not get a good sound with any Krank. I feel a Stiletto can play metal, doesn't "STRAPPING YOUNG LAD" use a trident.

gnarwailnmt said:
So i drove 2 hours to visit my mesa dealer today, nice guy btw. Anyways, if i want my mark IV, the next production line i cant get in on starts in july, meaning amp by end of august if lucky.

I also tried out the trip rect, the stiletto duece, and the roadster....

I f%&# LOVE THE ROADSTER....

They didnt have a mark IV, but are expecting a combo(im wanting a head) at the end of may.

Should i wait till may, try out the mark IV, or take the roadster plunge?

God....this is going to go on forever

it depends.... if the mark iv sound is what you want then i'd wait because as amazing as the roadster is, it can't do the the mark iv tone.... i can get **** close in terms of a rhythm tone but cant touch the lead of a mark iv.... well lets not say cant touch it, its just a different lead tone with most people prefering the mark iv's leads.... BUT if you dig the roadster (which it sounds like you do) and arent dead set on the mark iv's tone, then i'd grab that roadster, an eq pedal for the loop, and hit the ground running..... like i said it just depends on what tone your after because they're too different in my eyes...... or you can rob a bank, buy the roadster and order a mark iv so you have both amps with no issues :twisted:

yeah..he didnt have a mark IV in...

so im pretty much waiting until the end of may to try a mark IV, then i can order one and hopefully the july build wont be full

What settings do you use on a roadster to get you near a MK IV rhythm tone? (I assume a lot of it is in that EQ pedal in your loop?)

If you like the mkiv, wait and get the wide head version - don't get the combo. Its heavy, and the mkiv really needs a 4x12 cab to come alive. And buying new is a good idea, because the mkiv is such a complicated and dense amp design that it is very expensive and difficult to have them serviced properly. I know - I fought with an early mkiv for almost a year before I threw in the towel.

You said something about liking loose bass response? Mark series amps are known to be very tight, and I found this as well. I like tight bass, and loved my mkiv's thumpy tight rhythm tone.

You sound like you're set on getting a Mesa, and they are awesome amps. One thing I'll say is that it took me 4 months to find my tone on the mkiv, versus about an hour on the VHT. For the $$$, it's well worth checking out other brands: Soldano, Framus, Egnater, ENGL, VHT, Diezel....lots of good stuff out there.

Latest posts

Back