It says Dual rectifier... now if only I could get that tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMGguitarist

Reaction score
alright guys, so I see that my Maverick says Dual Rectifier on it but I switch to lead channel and don't quite get that dual tone I adore on my TOV. I know the Mav is by no means made for high gain but its got potentials in it... i can feel it hahaha... Is there any way to get a high gain on it that doesn't break up into overcrunchy grit after noon'ish on gain? I'd like to try my Maverick with my TOV for a full wet sound but its really cutting through with that grit. Any recommendations on tube replacements to combat this and get a nice smooth high gain? I am thinking it might have something to do with the midrange and the el84s. I hate to say it but as far as loudness and cut goes, the Maverick with the 4 Jensons is kicking the TOVs 2 V30s all over my room as well as garage (tried it out to see if acoustics and room size changed anything). The TOV is very boomy and dark while the Mav is cutting through with really thick midrangy grit. I wanna put these two together and see what tonal potentials there are but right now, all I hear is the maverick over the TOV or the TOV merely smothering with boom. Is there any way to get these two amps to play well with each other? Im hopefully one day going to use my mav for cleans and have two TOV's (one with el34s and the other 6L6's) for the high gain. Am I going to have this same problem when running the EL34s in TOV #1 vs the 6L6's in TOV #2?

EMGguitarist said:
alright guys, so I see that my Maverick says Dual Rectifier on it but I switch to lead channel and don't quite get that dual tone I adore on my TOV.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what they are refering to when they say, "Dual Rectifier"

I too have ToV and recent Maverick. For me they're two completely different animals.

EMGguitarist said:
alright guys, so I see that my Maverick says Dual Rectifier on it but I switch to lead channel and don't quite get that dual tone I adore on my TOV. ...
That's a misnomer. "Dual Rectifier" logos are on Dual Rectifier (duh), ToVs, Roadster, Road Kings I, II, Mavericks, Blue Angels, Heartbreakers, ... meaning it has the switchable rectifier either tube or silicon. I think you know this but you are trying to get that unique the Hi Gain tone that are associated with MESA Engineering's model: Dual Rectifier amp.

EMGguitarist said:
I know the Mav is by no means made for high gain but its got potentials in it... i can feel it hahaha... Is there any way to get a high gain on it that doesn't break up into overcrunchy grit after noon'ish on gain?
I know you are trying to describe a tone here, but I'm not sure what are trying to describe.

EMGguitarist said:
I'd like to try my Maverick with my TOV for a full wet sound but its really cutting through with that grit. Any recommendations on tube replacements to combat this and get a nice smooth high gain? I am thinking it might have something to do with the midrange and the el84s. I hate to say it but as far as loudness and cut goes, the Maverick with the 4 Jensons is kicking the TOVs 2 V30s all over my room as well as garage (tried it out to see if acoustics and room size changed anything). The TOV is very boomy and dark while the Mav is cutting through with really thick midrangy grit. I wanna put these two together and see what tonal potentials there are but right now, all I hear is the maverick over the TOV or the TOV merely smothering with boom. Is there any way to get these two amps to play well with each other? Im hopefully one day going to use my mav for cleans and have two TOV's (one with el34s and the other 6L6's) for the high gain. Am I going to have this same problem when running the EL34s in TOV #1 vs the 6L6's in TOV #2?
Yeah, that cutting through could be the 4x10s, characteristic with EL84s. Maybe your ToV has to run 4x12"s I'm sure you are going to hear the loud difference. Another thing, your settings, I feel the ToV's Red Channel's Blues mode to be the most loudest setting (channel / mode). The Red Channel's Modern Hi Gain mode tends to fuzz out. Well to me it does.

I like the combination of contrast between these two amps. Great combination in my opinion.

Sorry I don't think I answered your questions :oops: :wink:

thunderkyss:
rectifires are an electronic part that switches A/C to D/C and the rectifier series has a switch to allow this to be done by a set of tubes instead of diodes. i dont think it really has anything to do with the voicing of the amp because it sounds basically the same set to diode. i guess its just an extra feature and it sounds cool. thats what i thought it was anyway.

The Blue Angel is a Dual Rectifier but a slightly different implementation. It has no switch. The preamp tubes are wired to diodes while the power tubes are supplied their DC vitamins from a 5AR4/GZ34 tube rectifier. The Blue Angel is a single channel amp labeled as Pure Class A, unlike the rest of the DR family which are multi-channel class A/B amplifiers. It has two power section options, one using a pair of 6V6's and the other using a quad of EL84's. They can also be combined for a third voice option.

Commander Cool:
There definitely is a difference in sound between diode and tube rectifiers. It isn't just a marketing feature. Switching between them on amps that do have the ability to do so, changes the entire structure of the amplifier's voice. It is a very cool thing to have. :wink:

so I understand what dual rect actually does so I guess my question is this really: is there any way to get the Mav's lead channel voiced to compliment my TOV? I like the lead channel but if I could get a smoother gain and get less cut with it and maybe suck some mids out of it, I think it'd have wicked potential. I know that they're two different beasts which is why I love them. The Mav's cleans are superb while I like the chunkiness of the TOV gain, I just figured there was a way to get these to harmonize well with leads.

I had a couple of Mavericks... and you will never get the extreme gain out of them the other boogies have.

I put jj el84s and beam blockers and that helped take some of the bite off the "normal" sounding one. I never could get ANY jj preamp tubes to work in either of mine.

As I mentioned I had 2 of these... both 2-12 models... but they sounded really different from one another... One was more like a classic gain with heavy mids and the other had a big bottom to it and more gain... When I looked inside there was a few differences in them. I couldnt tell if one had been modded or if there was a revision down the line somewhere.

Ill see if I can find the pics I took of the difference.

Hey EMGguitarist:

Here's a thought. (except yours is a 4x10" and mine is a 2x12"):
My ToV is going through Vintage 30s, same with my 2x12" combo. I'm going to experiment trying different speakers with the Maverick. I think it will sound much different (away from the ToV) if I tried a speaker with out the presence and grit of the Vintage 30s.

I have a Celestion Heritage and Kendrick Green Frame (basically Greenback) and see if this works. I'm pretty sure the SPL is a bit lower and some of the presence will be sucked out (I think). :wink:

Maybe your 4x10" has such a midrange attack a change of speakers could give you that smooth gain.

I guess I'm trying to accomplish what you are trying to doing. I'm surprise no one has post to add a gain stomp box yet. I want to avoid using any stomp boxes.

Latest posts

Back