Is The Stilleto Ace Right For Me? First Post...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceantracks

Reaction score
Hi guys, looks like a great site. Was hoping for some advice here.

No one around me has a Stiletto Ace to hear, but a music store I deal with in New York does and I COULD have them send it down to me to try. Before I get involved with that, and because I'm new to MESA, I though I'd run this by you.

I need a great studio amp. Don't need volume. Something volume wise in the order of a Deluxe Reverb is more than enough.

I need versatility. I do everything from Beatles style jangle to modern alternative. I realize there is no one amp that does it all, but have been reading some pretty nice things about the 1*12 Stiletto combo. If the cleans are pretty nice, I'm sure it's overdrive would be great. I tend to also like playing on the bridge pickup with the volume backed off just enough that the clean sound has an edge to it.

I don't do blues, I'm generally in the pop and alternative vein. As a reference, I tried the Marshall 1974X but found it tonally too limited. Sounded great cranked, but with merely a TONE dial, not much to get out of it except that one great cranked sound. I need something more versatile.

I play a Fender Nocaster and a Gibson Explorer for humbucker sounds.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Tom H

The Ace is a great amp, I just ordered the 2x12 combo for myself. It sounds good at low volumes but not as good as loud, and it does get very loud.. I'd say in the same vein as a Deluxe.

Basically, channel 1 is a plexi copy and channel 2 is the hot rodded JCM800 sound.. which covers a lot of ground. It won't have the jangly sound of a Vox but with a tele (or your nocaster) you could prob get close. Modern will be no problem on channel 2 in its highest setting.. GnR in a box.

I'm in So Fla. too.Have you checked out ARC music in Boca Raton.The address is listed on the mesa site.I tried out the 1x12.Seems like a nice casual store,not The Guitar Center type.I'm counting on a good Tax return to buy the head.The combo deserves all the hype

Wow, that's great news about the store in Boca! I'm IN Boca ...never heard of it. So maybe I can hear some of these after all...

Yeah, 50 watts is scary, WAY loud for a home studio but I just don't want to get into something to puny sounding. I had a Bad Cat MiniCat (5 watts) for awhile and it sounded like a toy.....

I will definitely check this out, and the Lonestar....I'm really going for a wide range so I know it's tough...

Thanks for all the input...

Tom

Its on Glades road and the turnpike next to Marshalls.The combo sounded great at low volumes.I tried turning it up a bit but the store started rattling.If I remember right they had a Lonestar,and a Roadster combo.

Midrangegood said:
Its on Glades road and the turnpike next to Marshalls.The combo sounded great at low volumes.I tried turning it up a bit but the store started rattling.If I remember right they had a Lonestar,and a Roadster combo.

This is like the best news I've heard in ages....that's about 3 minutes from me....I live off Glades road west of 441....I will be there tomorrow;)

Thanks so much...I'll report up here what I find....

Tom

I would give a +1 to the Lonestar Classic. It has more clean tones available than the Special. I have had both. If you are doing Beatles and such, you are going to need more clean headroom. The Special comes up short at volume unless you mic it.

Mesa's discounting the LSC 1x12. Call Seth at MAE, Davie Blvd just west off 95. He's a good, knowledgeable guy

OK, just got back ARC Music in Boca, which had a great selection of Mesa's.

I played the Stiletto Ace first.

This was a 1*12 combo and sounded huge. It did everything from clean to wall of distortion with nice stops in between. Had to watch the Tele (Nocaster) because it could veer off pretty quickly into the irritatingly bright category, but some tone fiddling solved that. The heavy distorted sounds sounded wonderful. Big, gorgeous tube amp all the way.

Tried the F30. Nice studio amp too, but after the Ace sounded too small. Ace sounded huge.

Then tried the Lonestar. Great take on a Fender. Wonderful cleans. I'm not a fan of Fender distortion, being more of a Brit fan, so I didn't like it as well...but I could see that a blues guy would. I'm definitely more rock and pop.

The Stiletto is a monster. To resist the impulse buy I forced myself home and told them I might be back by closing time today. I probably will....thanks for all the tips, this is one great amp. The 5 year warranty is reassuring too. Build quality looked amazing.

Tom

Do it, do it!!!!

I made myself wait a week so I could come back with a clear head and try it again.. it blew me away twice so I ordered mine there on the spot.

The only thing better than the Stilleto Ace combo is the head version with an open backed cab. Incredible cleans. That's why I like the Recto 2x12 cabs; you can switch between open back and closed back at will.

Hey guys - sorry for the SPAM but I thought this may be related to anyone interested in an ACE.

I have a Mesa Stiletto ACE head for sale.

PM me if interested. I have tons of transactions on HC and Gearslutz.com

BTW, it's an awesome amp. Great hot-rodded Marshall vibe and looks real cool. I used it with a 2x12 Avatar cab.

The Stiletto is now in my bedroom;)

Just got back a couple hours ago from the shop, and went for it. Will have to starve for awhile to pay for it, but I think it's a great purchase for me because it covers a lot of ground. Looking forward to delving into the manual tonight (bedtime reading!) and hopefully years of enjoyment.

Thanks to all for the recommendation!

And ARC music is a great place. Family run, down to earth folks. They have my business.

Tom H

Thats great news,now I don't have to think about it sitting in the store,all lonely and cold,....and green.I can't wait to get that head on order.

Congrats, I got a 1 x 12 about two weeks ago, and it keeps getting better!

What really confirmed it for me was when I went back to the store the following week. They had another Ace and a Roadster on the floor (both 2 x 12 combos). I played both amps back to back for awhile just to make sure I didn't want the Roadster instead. Long story short, the Ace owned it (my opinion only). Channels 3 and 4 of the Roadster were very dark. The Ace literally cut like a....."stiletto dagger"

Enjoy your amp! This is one of my favorite new amps in years...

Congrats, I got a 1 x 12 about two weeks ago, and it keeps getting better!

What really confirmed it for me was when I went back to the store the following week. They had another Ace and a Roadster on the floor (both 2 x 12 combos). I played both amps back to back for awhile just to make sure I didn't want the Roadster instead. Long story short, the Ace owned it (my opinion only). Channels 3 and 4 of the Roadster were very dark. The Ace literally cut like a....."stiletto dagger"

Enjoy your amp! This is one of my favorite new amps in years...

Back