Is the Mark IVB version more sterile sounding?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam02

Reaction score
Ive done some research on them and read through the mark IV thread.

I know the MarkIVA has a IIC+ preamp.

But can the Mark IVB deliver some nice John Petrucci esque type tones.

I really dig Scenes from a memory, the Metropolis tone and Rock Discipline tone.

I can get a Mark IVB, will it deliver? thanks.

Allright, enough is enough with the A/B myth.

One point:

If the A was so great why did it only last 3.5 years and the B is going on its 14th year. The B was modded to sound more like a IIC+ because it basically has the Bendinelli mods in it, if no one noticed. It's a sweeter sounding amp than a IIC+, period. It may not have the headroom, but you also have to realize that the plate voltages and the graphic EQ voltages were lowered as well. To me, it seems the hearoom is fine even if it is not putting out 483 volts to the plates. It is a superior amp that rivals almost any amp in current production.

You will be more than happy with a B. It can be brutal, sweet, crunchy and sing. With a really good 2X12 or 4X12 you will be in heaven. With a G-Flex you will be shocked how good it sounds.

Listen to Antoine's clips. It's a MK IVB through a Mesa 2X12 and the result, also thanks to the guitar player, are superb.

Peace.

Thank you very much for clearing that up.

Im actually considering the 2x12 Buzzbombs with George Scholz Sugarcone speakers.

Ive also heard great things about the gflex.

Boogiebabies said:
It can be brutal, sweet, crunchy and sing. With a really good 2X12 or 4X12 you will be in heaven. With a G-Flex you will be shocked how good it sounds.

See folks...It's not just me. You gotta play Mesa's through a G-Flex. There's just something about them that adds magic to the mix.

I currently own a modified Mark I, a Mark IIC+, and a Mark IVA. I have also previously owned a MK III, a MkIVB, and a 2 channel Triple Rectifier. To me, the MkIVB had a better R2 channel. The lead channel on the B version was a little more smooth. I tried the A version to see how close I could dial it in to the C+. So close that it is hard to justify the C+, except for the investment value. If I had to start from scratch, the MkIVB would be my choice of MESA amps. There is nothing wrong with the MkIVA, except that I prefer the R2 on the B version. But I will part with my old Mark I and Mark IIC+ the day after that heavy frost in hell. :twisted:

Don't these myths get REALLY old? Everyone always believes that the older "vintage" gear is always superior. That is complete crap. If that were true why in the hell would companies ever change? It's just like all the people that complain... "they don't make things like they used to". Sometimes things change for very good reasons. If the Mark IIc+ is such a fantastic amp that will produce the best clean and heavy sounds ever possible (as some people on this forum would lead you to believe), then why is it still in mothballs at Boogie. Seems to me that a product that fantastic would have quite a lot of market value and they would stand to make a great deal of money by reissuing it... yet they have not. Maybe because it's not the greatest thing in the world. Yes, it was a fine amplifier capable of some really great sounds, but does everyone think so... NO! It doesn't fit everyone's styles. Unfortunately, people who don't know any better buy into all the hype because they want to believe that these old amps have some kind of magical mojo going on. Don't get me wrong, if you like the Mark IIc+ or any other piece of vintage gear and are willing to part with the money to get one, then by all means have at it. Everyone has different tastes. If it works for you, great, but don't spread crap about how it is so much better than everything else, because it just confuses those who don't know any better. For every person out there that worships a particular piece of gear, there is someone else out there that thinks that same piece of gear is total junk. All you can do is trust your ears and play what YOU like. To hell with the rest.

...ok my preaching is over. Just my $0.12 cents worth.

mr_fender said:
Don't these myths get REALLY old? Everyone always believes that the older "vintage" gear is always superior. That is complete crap. If that were true why in the hell would companies ever change? It's just like all the people that complain... "they don't make things like they used to". Sometimes things change for very good reasons. If the Mark IIc+ is such a fantastic amp that will produce the best clean and heavy sounds ever possible (as some people on this forum would lead you to believe), then why is it still in mothballs at Boogie. Seems to me that a product that fantastic would have quite a lot of market value and they would stand to make a great deal of money by reissuing it... yet they have not. Maybe because it's not the greatest thing in the world. Yes, it was a fine amplifier capable of some really great sounds, but does everyone think so... NO! It doesn't fit everyone's styles. Unfortunately, people who don't know any better buy into all the hype because they want to believe that these old amps have some kind of magical mojo going on. Don't get me wrong, if you like the Mark IIc+ or any other piece of vintage gear and are willing to part with the money to get one, then by all means have at it. Everyone has different tastes. If it works for you, great, but don't spread crap about how it is so much better than everything else, because it just confuses those who don't know any better. For every person out there that worships a particular piece of gear, there is someone else out there that thinks that same piece of gear is total junk. All you can do is trust your ears and play what YOU like. To hell with the rest.

...ok my preaching is over. Just my $0.12 cents worth.
you're right, sincerely if i had to choose i would prefer a markIV rather than a C+ (which however is a great amp but not very versatile), but this is the situation now and mkIIC+s are more of an investment, like JOEY B. said, rather than a simple amp!

My MarkIV B Short Head is the last amp i've bougth since 1998 !
I really want to try something else but everytime i plug my guitar in another amp (No matter his brand, Marshall, the olds and newer models, Soldano, Engl, Brunetti... even other Boogie such as Rectifiers, Stiletto...) everytime i try one of them, i'm always conforted in my opinion that my MarkIV still the best. This amp really is a tone monster, the sounds he can delivers are incredibles as Boogiebabies have said he can be how you want it to be, brutal, smooth, vintage, modern...
Thank you Boogiebabies for your comment about me, if the sound is superb it's surely not because of me but because of the amp which is a Gem... it's good to see you here again Bro, your comments and knowledge about Boogie amps are impressive and i like to learn a lot about these amps thanks to you :wink:

Antoine said:
My MarkIV B Short Head is the last amp i've bougth since 1998 !
I really want to try something else but everytime i plug my guitar in another amp (No matter his brand, Marshall, the olds and newer models, Soldano, Engl, Brunetti... even other Boogie such as Rectifiers, Stiletto...) everytime i try one of them, i'm always conforted in my opinion that my MarkIV still the best. This amp really is a tone monster, the sounds he can delivers are incredibles as Boogiebabies have said he can be how you want it to be, brutal, smooth, vintage, modern...
Thank you Boogiebabies for your comment about me, if the sound is superb it's surely not because of me but because of the amp which is a Gem... it's good to see you here again Bro, your comments and knowledge about Boogie amps are impressive and i like to learn a lot about these amps thanks to you :wink:

Hello Antoine,

I agree with you. It's great to have Boogiebabies back on board and the Mark IV is one heck of a tone monster. I just purchased a Mark IV A head a couple of months ago and I only wish I had purchased it years ago. I've also tried a number of amps including Fenders, Marshalls, and other types of Mesas but none were as much fun and as rewarding to work with as the Mark IV. Granted the guitar, the speakers, the cabinet, the playing style, the effects, the room and countless others things contribute to one's sound but the tonal variety of this amp is huge and plays a major part. It may not be the last amp I purchase but it's going to take a lot to replace it as my main amp.

I've listened to some of your recordings and you've got some great licks and good sounds.

Take care, Michel

Many thanks for the kind words Michelj, we both agree on 2 things : the fantastic sound of the MarkIV and how lucky we are to have Boogiebabies here on the Mesa Boogie Forum.
He has helped a lot of forumers here, including me, he's always ready to help someone and teach us a lot about Mesa and amp in general, i consider this to be a privilege to have someone like him here.
Enjoy your MarkIV head Michelj, it's only some months you have it with you, i promise you will discover a lot more about it in the future.
Peace.

To dispell another myth.

There is no absolute substitute for the IIC+. The rest of the lineage shares it's DNA, but it has a distinct sound that is specifically it's own. Mesa knows this, but they also know it would be detrimental to the legend and value of th original. Mesa also knows it would be cost prohibitive and they believe the MK III's and IVB are close enough. The MK IV even now is beginning to become expensive to produce. When you look at buying 20+ LDR's alone at $4 each as compared to the current generation switching devices that cost
.12 cents. I am sure that the MK V will be using the current switching system using the .12 cent J175 and will claim to have the legendary sound of the dual cascading IIC+ that now demands three times its original value. The usual consensus on any item that is reissued is always a complaint that it does not live up to the original. So if the IIC+ was reissued the only benefit it would accomplish is to drive up the original IIC+ values even further out of control. Also, the MK V is not going to be the replacement for the MK IV. If it does not sound like a true MK IV do you think Mesa will reissue the MK IV? Absolutley not. They will tweak the bugs out until they stabilize the product. Mesa has a notorious history of tweaking. Just look at the MK II A,B,C and C+. Then the MK III stripes, Dual Rectifier circuit board revisions, RK I versions 1-4 and then the RK II and now version 2.2, Stiletto 1 and 2, Single Rec 1 and 2. If you follow the product, Mesa's drive to alter or perfect amps is relentless. Other than the MK I, which of course came with mods and revisions, Mesa has never looked back.

My personal affliction for the IIC+ began in 1985 when the local hot shot pro at the dinky music store we had got his order in on a IIC+ head with Simul, EQ and Reverb. So on that particular day I was there when he was playing it ( From the look of the other employee, he had been playing it all day). So, I asked him what it was and he kindly gloated it's description and how much it cost. Gulp !!! $ 1200 back in 85' was a fortune. Kind of like $ 1400 for a San Dimas Charvel. As a 13 year old kid it was an impossibility to obtain both without the threat of spending a fair amount of time in a juvenile facility with the future hope of probation.
:D So, for the next 10 years of searching dozens of music stores over a 5 state area, I never found another IIC+. Even in 1995 with the advent of the web and E-Bay finally crawling out of it's infancy they were hard to find. Today they seem more abundant because everyone wants to make 4K on an amp they stumbled onto or only payed $ 400 at a pawn shop.
For me, it was the one and only amp that satisfied the sound in my head.
Having to suffer for over a decade with Marshalls, MP1's and countless other **** amps and overdrive pedals the quest came to an end. When it did, for some odd reason I ran into three IIC+'s in about a 1 years span and could not resist buyng all three. Needless to say finding three Simul-EQ-Reverb amps in such a short span was euphoric. Luckily, they were all bought before the period of quadruple inflation. Now I do play other Mesa's and enjoy the MK III and IVB to the extreme, but I always feel a certain contentment knowing what the IIC+'s give to me. So if it's myth or legend that you want to beleive, for me it's personal preference plain and simple. Unless you have the time to intimately know an amp, what people say is purely hype or conjecture. Until you strap on a Les Paul or 85 Charvel Strat and plug into a IIC+ you will never really know the rush.
So, for being hypocritical in my last sentence I will call it a day.

BuBuBuBuBu, that's all folks. :D

Ditto !!!
As always greats informations you have given to us Boogiebabies !
Just a question, have you been a Mesa Boogie employee, or maybe are you ?
You know so much about their products !

Sorry if my last post was a little confusing. The original post asked would the MkIVB deliver certain tones. I say yes. My personal attachment to my old Boogies is just that. I don't mean to imply that they are better than the MkIV A or B. The old amps just do it for me personally. I too, had a tonal "awakening" in the mid 80's. :shock: It was by a Mark II Boogie combo at a local guitar shop.

Antoine said:
Many thanks for the kind words Michelj, we both agree on 2 things : the fantastic sound of the MarkIV and how lucky we are to have Boogiebabies here on the Mesa Boogie Forum.
He has helped a lot of forumers here, including me, he's always ready to help someone and teach us a lot about Mesa and amp in general, i consider this to be a privilege to have someone like him here.
Enjoy your MarkIV head Michelj, it's only some months you have it with you, i promise you will discover a lot more about it in the future.
Peace.

I agree Antoine that I'm only just starting on the adventure and enjoying it. I've never had so much fun and challenge dialing in an amp.

Mark IV A or B, it's hard to think that either of those two could be STERILE. What with all the knobs and setting possibilities, I would submit that they're both very tone reproductive if you have a FERTILE imagination. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michel

Antoine said:
Ditto !!!
As always greats informations you have given to us Boogiebabies !
Just a question, have you been a Mesa Boogie employee, or maybe are you ?
You know so much about their products !

Ahh !!! Le plus bon joueur de guitare de la Corse.
Merci du compliment mon freind.

No, I have never worked for Mesa, but I have been offered a job there.

Wow!! Boogiebabies, you could have been a Mesa Boogie employee if you wanted... what a great offer !
You know Corsica ? have you been in France ? your French is very good...

Antoine said:
Wow!! Boogiebabies, you could have been a Mesa Boogie employee if you wanted... what a great offer !
You know Corsica ? have you been in France ? your French is very good...

I took French twice in school, but I am not very good. My neighbors growing up were from Nice and would only speak to me in French. They spoke perfect english though.

I own a Mark IV A, perfect amp for me.

The Mark IVB has a better Rhy2, but i only use the Lead channel and sometimes rhy 1. The Mark IVB is a little bit different, more an own voicing, but the Mark IVA is perfect for me, its a little bit tighter.

Instead of relying upon what others have to say you should really get out and play both amps because in the end it is you that has to coax the tone you are trying to get out of either amp. So, try both and see which you like better. If you can't try both then try the one that you can and determine if you even like the tone you get out of it. It has been my experience that when I plug into another Mark IV (usually a B) at a store that there is a common feel between the two amps but they are not exactly the same. Some of this comes from not being able to use my own guitars and speakers. I have felt that the R2 on the B is a little more aggressive sounding and that the lead feels a little different too. The A that I own feels a little smoother in both. To me, it seems like Mesa added gain to both channels. There too it could be the tubes and other factors but I still love my A. I am not one to bash the B like others may. I am more of the mindset that you need to play any amp before you buy. From previous experience with tube amps I have learned that even if you have the identical amps side by side that they will still have slight differences. Being that the A is no longer produced and hasn't been for a while now, common sense tells you that the A stock out there may need more service sooner than any B that you may find. You can still buy the B new if you want but I would still suggest to go buy used because then you can save a little dough from the new to used depreciation. In any case, be prepared because no matter which you choose it may take you a while to fully understand the amp and get exactly the tone you want from it. It is very very versatile so in time you will get most any tone out of it except the looseness and bottom found in the rectifier amps. It is my opinion that whether A or B the Mark IV is still the flagship of Mesa amps as far as real tone versatility is concerned. This is not to discredit the Lonestars, Stilettos, Rectifiers, RKs, nor any other series. I am sure that there are others that will argue this point but like I said in the end it is you that has to coax the tone out of the amp. The Mark IV just does it for me. I just happen to own the A.

Back