Is it suspicious for a Stilleto to go for $600?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketiov

Reaction score
The guy on Craigslist didn't put up any pictures. All he said was

Mesa Boogie Stiletto 50/100 W Power Amp - $600

used Mesa Boogie Stiletto Head in good condition. Tolex is in original condition. Good Amp Dont use it any more>

Is this suspicious? I looked at eBay, and it looked like they were going for more.[/b]

Sounds fishy, but I have been trying to sell my Lone Star for about a year and dropped the price to $700.00 to see if any body would at least call. Nobody did. Ask for some pic's.

I'd scope it out thoroughly. Could be a crack head trying to get some money for jack. Snag it if it feels right when/if you get to play it. They are killer amps. It's my new favorite Mesa. It trumps all the other Mesas i've had!

I've emailed the guy. We'll see what happens.

This is the first time he's posted this. I'm always looking at Craigslist, and I've never seen it before.

If he got one of the "blow out" specials when the Stage 2's came out,I'd say thats a reasonable price...I'd snag that if its in decent shape

Yeah, i got the stage 1 for about $950 brand new on a blowout deal. I ended up returning it and getting the F-50 but a lot of these were sold at a huge discount when the newer version came out.

Well he gladly took pictures for me and sent them, one oft he front and one of the back. He's not in the middle of nowhere like I expected, either. He's actually pretty close by.

Is there a difference between the stage I and stage II that I should know about? Or anything specific to look for when I try the amp out?

At $600 who cares, that is a great deal and if you dont like it you can easily flip for $700 here or $800 to $900 on ebay.

ketiov said:
Well he gladly took pictures for me and sent them, one oft he front and one of the back. He's not in the middle of nowhere like I expected, either. He's actually pretty close by.

Is there a difference between the stage I and stage II that I should know about? Or anything specific to look for when I try the amp out?

MusicManJP6 said:
I'd go plug up to it and if it sounds like a Mesa then snag that thing!
I'll probably do that. I'd still like to know the difference between Stage I and II, though.

I'm not sure the technical difference, but Stage II has the better sounding preamp from what I've heard. I think Stage I was pretty harsh...

They slightly revoiced the stage II to be a bit more modern with more gain on the 2nd channel. Which i believe because i know alot of the older marshall guys think the crunch mode is alot better on the stage I where the higher gain guys seem to like the II better.

The stage I is looser like the old plexi's where the stage II's have a tighter bottem end. So in my opinion stage I better for rock/hard rock, stage II better for hard rock/metal but can still pull off rock, just not as good as stage I.

ketiov said:
MusicManJP6 said:
I'll probably do that. I'd still like to know the difference between Stage I and II, though.

This is kind of turning me off of getting the amp then... I like modern high gain much more than old Marshall style distortion. And I am a gain *****, so I want as much gain as possible. If it can't do metal very well then I'm really turned off of it.
siggy14 said:
They slightly revoiced the stage II to be a bit more modern with more gain on the 2nd channel. Which i believe because i know alot of the older marshall guys think the crunch mode is alot better on the stage I where the higher gain guys seem to like the II better.

The stage I is looser like the old plexi's where the stage II's have a tighter bottem end. So in my opinion stage I better for rock/hard rock, stage II better for hard rock/metal but can still pull off rock, just not as good as stage I.

ketiov said:
MusicManJP6 said:

Exactly, these things are selling for about $800 on ebay, and trust me it is still a high gain amp and still a **** good amp.

MusicManJP6 said:
Dude, for the price you need to go play it and snag it for resale at least!

MusicManJP6 said:

Yeah. Gotta love folks that let a few anonymous opinions from random people on the internet make up their minds for them. :shock:

Dude, you said it's close by. Why can't you just stop over and play the thing? I'm sure the guy doesn't bite. Sheesh!

SBG200 said:
MusicManJP6 said:

Yeah. Gotta love folks that let a few anonymous opinions from random people on the internet make up their minds for them. :shock:

Dude, you said it's close by. Why can't you just stop over and play the thing? I'm sure the guy doesn't bite. Sheesh!
Alright, alright, I'll do it. Stop riding my *** :p

When they revised the amp for stage 2, they revoiced all of the modes but Tite Gain, from what I remember. Tite Gain is my favorite on the Ace (stage II). The stage 1's got great reviews, and like the other guys mentioned, the price is a steal.

Back