In praise of MK1 mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a small personal triumph in my Mesa journey ..

Unlocking the MK1 mode in the V has frustrated me since day one - couldn't dial in a responsive, grainy, on the edge of breakup tone that would love both single or HB pups. It was always TOO something ... mostly bassy, muddy, spikey or flat. I just couldn't get the balance of frequencies to gel through my rig

I recently started to dial in Vol / EQ from zero, rather than the "everything at noon and dial to taste" method I have used on various Mesa's for over 2 decades. The tones that were difficult to find through both the MKV and Roadster have now started to come to life

MK1 is finally working it's magic, and responds in a way to which I am now totally addicted - clear, lively, punchy, responsive and beautifully balanced. I ride guitar volume and tone a lot, and can achieve different textures / drive easily from a forgiving base tone. It's excellent

Settings for anyone interested: all tone & volume controls at 11 o'clock (by sheer coincidence), =C= 6L6 / Mesa pre's as standard under the hood, 90W, normal setting, output master at 11:30 into both cabs detailed in my sig. I leave an EP boost on at 9 of the clock - just seems to open things up a tad more than the amp does naturally

dlpasco said:
...I want to race home from work now and try this...

So, was it worth the rush home?

I found the mid and presence controls most powerful with this blend of EQ - they open up the growl character in a way that really works for me, and change tone noticeably with the smallest adjustment in settings :mrgreen:

Frustrating but brilliant at the same time

For me, too, the the key to unlocking the potential of the Mark I mode was in the mids. In my case, it was the increased midrange grind of =C= EL34s that achieved this and the turned the Mark I mode on my V into one heckuva badass rock monster. I would expect that turning up the mid pot and/or the middle GEQ bands would yield somewhat comparable results.

The growl and roar that you get from the Mark I mode this way is plain awestome. No, it's not a Marshall. It's what a Marshall wants to sound like...after puberty and voice change.

After several try's-Mark I also did not seak to me-I tried your setting

Needed then 3 guitar's to get going

Strat with vintage outout PU--> a bit thin a bit ice pick*
LP-->much cooler right in the beginning but very mid centered
Start HSS-->really cool

I can only agree that a Mk I rocks if you get it going-just its a real ***** to dial in

Thanks !!

If you would share your EQ setting as well?

Roland

*I use an old EVM 12 L ,very well broken in,in an oak cabinet-->that makes it a bit ice pick sharp too

thunder100 said:
After several try's-Mark I also did not seak to me-I tried your setting

Needed then 3 guitar's to get going

Strat with vintage outout PU--> a bit thin a bit ice pick*
LP-->much cooler right in the beginning but very mid centered
Start HSS-->really cool

I can only agree that a Mk I rocks if you get it going-just its a real ***** to dial in

Thanks !!

If you would share your EQ setting as well?

Roland

*I use an old EVM 12 L ,very well broken in,in an oak cabinet-->that makes it a bit ice pick sharp too
Hey Roland

All my Eq are set around 11 ish, depending on guitar and pups used. The ice pick is tamed by reducing presence a bit, and I found the interplay between presence and mid to be the secret sauce in the mix. I left everything else alone, twiddled those 2 settings when changing guitars and kept the vibe alive

If I tweak more than 2 knobs, I lose my bearings on this thing! Small touches make a huge difference

Thanks

That makes it much better now

Was on the Petrucci setting in EQ

Still I have to work a bit on ice pick

And yes-->you a knob turn 3 ° and you fall (way) out of the envelop

Thanks again

Roland

Just saw Mesa post this:

Ted Aguilar of Death Angel playing Mark I Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QUNFl1lU8

Don't remember the settings but I've been in an early Scofield phase and was amazed at some tones I nailed in Mk1 mode. Particularly his live tone from Pick Hits Live.
He's used Mk1s and IIIs so probably no surprise there but I was really happy to find out that this amp can do that too! Hope the tech sorts out this stupid hum soon and I'll come back with settings.

best,
T

Ytsejammer777 said:
Just saw Mesa post this:

Ted Aguilar of Death Angel playing Mark I Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QUNFl1lU8
Thanks for the heads up

While I can't say that I've mastered Mark I mode (far from it), I can say that it's definitely easier to tame it with the use of graphical EQ (among other settings). My problem, though, is that by the time I set a good Mark I tone, I can't use the graphical EQ for anything else, especially not for Ch3. Then I'm stuck using the preset or external EQ of some kind just for CH3.

Do you guys ever use Mark I mode with Ch3 on the common graphical EQ settings? If so, I'd love to see your settings (ch2/3 preamp dials + GEQ).

Thanks for this, I will be trying it. I've only had my MV for a few months and every time I play it I find a tone that causes me to play some new/old tune... something I've never learned but the tone is there and the fingers respond... the amp is ALWAYS ready. Can't wait to try your settings.

JB

Back