I'm getting old ---> digging the vintage mode over modern

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRocksUSA

Reaction score
on my recto

I love the amp to death, but these days I'm digging the vintage WAY more than my modern channel.

I barely use the modern recto channel anymore.

also, I have a beautiful USA jackson kelly.

kickass guitar, but I've been wanting to finally sell it and try to get a Les Paul

I've always wanted an LP, but I think I might finally make the move next year

8) 8)

sweet jesus, I may even retire the recto and check out a stiletto :twisted:

That doesn't mean you're getting old.... There's nothing really "vintage" about the vintage mode, it can be pretty dang aggressive and heavy! I've never liked the modern mode at all and I've had 5 different Rectifiers.

Vintage mode all the way for me since day one :wink:

tele_jas said:
That doesn't mean you're getting old.... There's nothing really "vintage" about the vintage mode, it can be pretty dang aggressive and heavy! I've never liked the modern mode at all and I've had 5 different Rectifiers.

Vintage mode all the way for me since day one :wink:

hell yeah bro!

the vintage mode ROCKS! I spent last night jamming on that beast until 2 am.

I'm really being held back by my guitar though, **** pointy shaped 1 pickup guitars :?

Same here, the modern mode rarely ever gets used and I still play some heavy *** music.. vintage mode has way more tone in my opinion.

Platypus said:
Same here, the modern mode rarely ever gets used and I still play some heavy *** music.. vintage mode has way more tone in my opinion.

your posts about tone and tubes have really gotten me thinking about retubing with el34s next time I need to

It's interesting but not sure if it is for everyone. It still sounds like a recto but a lot more 'vintagey' if that makes sense. The aggression and punch of a modern amp with a vintage flare, but that's how I describe my tone I guess: modern vintage hehe.

Worth a try for 48 bucks you know? If you ever decide to go that route hit me up and I'll give you some settings to try out.

Is this channel 2 or 3 Vintage?

Could you share your settings? I love the warmth of the vintage mode...much smoother and less harsh, but I can't get it to punch and tighten like the modern mode....

Platypus said:
It's interesting but not sure if it is for everyone. It still sounds like a recto but a lot more 'vintagey' if that makes sense. The aggression and punch of a modern amp with a vintage flare, but that's how I describe my tone I guess: modern vintage hehe.

Worth a try for 48 bucks you know? If you ever decide to go that route hit me up and I'll give you some settings to try out.

plat, could you PM me some of your el34 settings? :D

diamondschwin said:
Platypus said:

plat, could you PM me some of your el34 settings? :D

Sure:

All settings 'clockface' in nature
Tube Rectifier
Bold Variac

Master output: 1:00

Channel 2: Vintage
Presence: 11 - 11:30
Volume: 11:00
Gain: 1-1:30
Bass: 5:00 (almost maxed) (do this one to taste)
Mid: 11:00
Treble: 2:30

Channel 3: Vintage(Or Modern, I prefer vintage but that's me)
Presence: 1-1:30 (Been using this on 11 recently, season to taste)
Volume: 11:00
Gain: 3:00
Bass: 5:00 (almost maxed)(do this one to taste)
Mid: 12:00
Treble: 3:00

I figure someone else may be interested :)

Getting old? Blah! It's all in the way you think! Or maybe it's denial! Whichever, this 41 year old is staying with the modern side of things! :lol: :oops:

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Is this channel 2 or 3 Vintage?

Could you share your settings? I love the warmth of the vintage mode...much smoother and less harsh, but I can't get it to punch and tighten like the modern mode....

it's channel 2 vintage, I find I get a much rounder and more full tone out of channel 2

channel 3 is reserved for modern

I'll post up my settings next time I troll by my buddy's house (I have my rig there now b/c I was getting WAY too many complaints here at the apt complex)

I have mine set to Red/Modern, Orange/Vintage. I use red for rhythms and orange for leads. However, sometimes, i'll just stick around in orange vintage and jam. It sounds so sweet. I love both modes though. :)

I like vintage for solos but the modern mode is where it's at for crunch and i find that vintage won't cut through the mix very well IMO

I used to have a 2 channel Triple Rectifier head. My favorite tone was to flip the Red to Vintage switch and tweak both presence controls for a sweet high end, then jack up the volume to a decibel level that even a drummer would complain about. EL-34 tubes will only help this type of sound IMHO. I since have reverted back to the "old fart tone" with my Mark series amps, sometimes in stereo format. :D

ChrisRocksUSA said:
on my recto

I love the amp to death, but these days I'm digging the vintage WAY more than my modern channel.

kickass guitar, but I've been wanting to finally sell it and try to get a Les Paul

8) 8)

I never use the modern mode . I have a Stiletto as well . Love it !

ChrisRocksUSA said:
on my recto

8) 8)

I totally prefer vintage to recto on my Rectoverb and my Nomad

Latest posts

Back