IIB Love....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acorkos

Reaction score
I gigged with my new IIB for the first time last night...it was superb. Classic and new rock covers.

This amp came to me with a JBLK120 and a whole bunch of mods done to the preamp circuit...i think someone was trying to make it more like a IIC. The switching relay needed replacing, and the 750Hz EQ slider wasn't working. And the K120 didn't go well in the lead channel. Enter one Eminence Delta Pro12 (IMO the perfect speaker for this amp) and a few hours with the original IIB schematic to get it back to stock...replaced the relay, EQ inductor, and did a cap job and bias resistor swap while I had it open.

I built a footswitch that switches the clean channel on, reverb on and EQ off simultaneously...EQ kicks on with lead channel. It was glorious. I used my homebuilt Tele with stock fender 52RI pickups....pristine, punchy cleans, and with the EQ set pretty meaty, the leads were thick and sustaining. For the occasional crunch rhythm, I kicked on a homebuilt Distortion+ clone. A really versatile rig.

Just wanted to share...any others with love for the IIB?

cc6c_3.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Acorkos,
I was thinking about building a custom pedal for my MKIV. Basically, just making a pedal with a smaller footprint and using all the original electronic guts. Where did you get the materials for the case?
Anyways, great job rebuilding your amp. Mesa Marks are awesome!

not sure you can get the guts into a smaller enclosure....i think there's a big PCB in the MkIV footswitch

boogietone said:
Where did you get the materials for the case?

the enclosure is cast aluminum made by hammond....they make them in various sizes...
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg.htm

lots of places sell them...
www.tubesandmore.com
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Enclosures

My IIB is a forever amp, I use a old Rockman Midi Octupus with a self powered midi pedal to do all my switching. Works great.

I've recently fallen in love with a Reinhardt Storm 33, Mid life crisis affair.

The Boogie IIB has been with me for over a quarter decade. Edit: Make that a quarter century, **** I gotta start reading my own posts............

I refer to it as the poorman's Two Rock :D

Yup... My IIb has the famous Mike B. effects Mod. and all I can say is this is the "My Tone I've always wanted from a Fender turned down low"

I have had no trouble with it. Just a Whole Lot Of Fun! :D

I have a hardwood C+ that I love. I came across a fully loaded IIB with the effects in a hardwood cab. Found another Simulcass version with the effects mod w/ blonde tolex That I just had to have. I love the IIB's (w/ the effects mod) almost as much as the IIC+. These 3 amps I will take to the grave someday.

i really dig my IIb...

but i've always wondered about a MOD, to make the bass control more useful.

as it is, i never dial it over 1.5, or it gets mushy.

don't really need it, but i've always wondered how nice it'd be, to be able to dial in the bass with barely a hint of depth added, for the full range of the control, without the mud.

possible?

Latest posts

Back