Idiot needs Triple Rec 3 channel help bad..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCI

Reaction score
Hello.....

Recently got the aforementioned which is absolutely amazing in every way except for one thing..... weird percussive mud & loss of tone after the master gets up around 12.

Here's my settings:

No boxes in front..

Channel 2

Modern

Presence: max (I should note here the volume thing has the same effect whether this is on min or max or wherever it is..)
Gain: 2 o'clock
Bass: 7 o'clock
Mid: 11 o'clock
Treble: 5 o'clock

Output is at 12.

Vacuum tubes, bold setting.

The guitar is an Iceman with a Dimebucker in the bridge. I've pondered that I've had a pickup that just dies at high tube overdrive, but everyone's opinion of it that I've read is different than what I hear. I hear about how it's mostly treble..which it is very trebly, but into this Boogie, my bass is nearly NOTHING on the channel and yet it sounds like it's on 2 o'clock and as I said, when the volume goes around mid-point...the tone morphs into nothing and sounds muffled, as if you're hearing it through another room. Brand new head.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? If you dial in my settings and have humbuckers, play the amp at around 9-10 o'clock, you should have a good idea of the tone I'm looking for. Why can't I get the clarity when the amp is pushed? Help an idiot out.

Thanks..

Sounds like tube problem. Since the presence only effects the power section, you probably have a bad power tube. I'm surprised your not getting volume swell which usually let's you know a tube or tubes is on the way out. Turn the amp around and see if any of the power tubes are glowing more or less than others. If one is really glowing, commonly referred to as red plating, that's probably your culprit. Since it's new, there's a warranty on the tubes.

My guess is one tube out of a pair of the sextets is going bad. Once you get the tube thing sorted out, I'd dial that gain back a little too. I had a rectoverb and DR and with the master/output at noon on the, the gain on 2 may mud up you tone.

hmmmmm, indeed, I turned it around and watched it for a little while and not only is one dimmer than the rest, but also wiggling around to the touch (!). It's the third from the right..not too tall, not too small. I'll switch to the diodes setting tomorrow and see if there's improvement or not so I can know if I bought a poor pickup way back when or if there's other problems...either way, gonna see what I can do about the tube...and I hope I don't have to dial the gain back much more and get your standard loud hard rock tube tone..definitely not what I bought the head for. :)

anyone else bored enough to comment, feel free 8)

Problem is still present unfortunately.................I was told by Mesa that the short 5U4GB is naturally more dim than the rest of the tubes, and the wiggle doesn't affect anything when it's on, so it isn't that...........

I have newer settings compared to when I first got it and am much closer to 'the perfect tone', but the problem is still there and happens no matter what level the gain is on, excluding that from the problem list..

What happens is it just automatically kind of takes the tone apart some when the master gets around 11:30/12, and does it more as it goes up.... it eats a bunch of the crunch and sparkle and replaces it with the odd 'smooth' distortion.... still heavy, but just way too percussive and undefined........does it on all distortion modes, does it on both tube and diode settings. I thought it may have simply been that the cab isn't powerful enough (I only have 1 it's going through), but I used to get it that loud and preserve about the same sound with my old head + distortion pedal.........very, very strange, if anyone has any idea at all how I can really preserve what I've got and push it a bit beyond 12 without it 'backing out' like this it would be appreciated....

Elpelotero said:
Why are you using channel 2 and not 3?

Maybe he likes the mids? For a long time I didnt even look at Channel 3. Just got an OD808 and now I dont look at Channel 2. :lol:

I used the orange for my first major setting because of some of the elements fluff mentioned in his presence mod thread, actually...the virtues of that channel, and how the presence sometimes doesn't get what you may need on the red. Had a little much honk in it, but that is probably due to the Dimebucker in some part. The new setting however is on the red and in vintage mode, I find it comes wonderfully close and gives a little bit more of a sharp edge. 2 is proving unbeatable for leads however.

Oh and sorry I didnt put my 2 cents in before, but it really sounds like its time for some power tubes. Hope you fix the problem duder.

Back