Identification please...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxman73

Reaction score
Hey guys...I apologize in advance if this topic is posted in the wrong thread or covered already, it's been a while since I've been here (sorry, please don't scorn me too much...I'll be better I promise) :oops: ...But, how do I tell if my RK is a version 2 or not?...And, if I want to push my power amp, should I lower the channel masters and raise the overall master?...Thanx for the advice.

I believe the RK series II says 'series II' on the front, correct me if I'm wrong RK owners.

As far as the power amp question, yes to an extent it acts like a built in attenuator but it won't get you the same tone as say a cranked amp with an attenuator... you want to find a balance with the channel volumes and output volume to get a good mix of pre/post amp distortion. I like to keep my channel volumes around 11 o clock so it's not too pre-gainy/fizzy.

Plat you are right! It will be right under the Dual Rectifier badge in the front and will read Road King II. Another way is if you have a reverb tank and 6 preamp tubes.

Thanx a bunch guys...Yeah, it's a tough balance to get each channel releative to each other as well...And get a good power amp distortion...So, ALL the series 2 say that right below the front?...What are the differences?...Can I get them done to a series 1?...Thanx.

Another sign is that on the version I, there is a switch between the EL34 tubes which allow you to choose between triode and pentode mode. This was removed for the version II. On some RK II models you can see a plate cover where the switch either once was, or if the chasi was fab'd during the transition.

And yes, the logo on the front will actually say "Road King II"

RK I has series and parallel FX loop, and each channel panel has a mix knob for that. RK II has 2 series loops, and the reverb knob was put in place of the Loop mix knob.

RK I has Pulse and trigger ports. RK II has tuner out and external mute instead.

Daxman73 said:
Thanx a bunch guys...Yeah, it's a tough balance to get each channel releative to each other as well...And get a good power amp distortion...So, ALL the series 2 say that right below the front?...What are the differences?...Can I get them done to a series 1?...Thanx.

Unfortunately I believe Mesa said there is no way to get this done to a series one RK.

I think that there is also no Triode/Pentode toggle switch on the series two. This would be seen looking from the back of the chassis.

In our review of the RK II at MusicPlayers.com, we didn't find any significant difference in tone using by lowering the channel masters (we tested this scenario).

Scott

Back