I want my Mark IV to sound like this.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trem

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmcZ9C1-w1s

Possible? :shock:

Aw shucks. I bought the wrong amp. :lol:

~trem

It is possible but ****, that song is hard to keep clean especially with the little amount of gain he is using, he's awesome.

Great player! It's hard to really tell how good his sound is online. Would be a treat to see him play live.

I think his tone is from about 50% gear and 50% fingers. His tone is good, no doubt, but he is also one of the most accurate and precise players around. I find his tone very Vai'sh. So that being the case, yes, I do believe you could achieve is tone on a Mark IV. But remember, most of the tone, especially someone like Guthrie, is in the fingers!

Great video by the way, I really enjoyed it.

Wow, that guy is incredible.

There is really no limit to what the Mark IV can do....it really has a great clean channel....you should be able to approximate that tone with one.

It's been a while since I've posted on here but I was doing some research and couldn't resist responding...

Definitely do-able with a Mark IV with Rhy2 or a boost in front of Rhy1. With some good technique a little bit of pre-pre-amp compression you can get pretty close to that on a Mark IV. Compression for the skanky country tone is a must. You will probably struggle to get just the right amount of gain saturation without a ton of gain though.

junebughunter said:
Compression for the skanky country tone is a must. You will probably struggle to get just the right amount of gain saturation without a ton of gain though.

What I usually do to solve that problem is split a humbucker for a dirty single coil sound and roll back the volume a slight bit. The gain dissapears, but the compression is still there (mostly :wink: )

Skyless7620 said:
junebughunter said:
Compression for the skanky country tone is a must. You will probably struggle to get just the right amount of gain saturation without a ton of gain though.

What I usually do to solve that problem is split a humbucker for a dirty single coil sound and roll back the volume a slight bit. The gain dissapears, but the compression is still there (mostly :wink: )

Exactly! I miss my Mark IV more than any amp I've ever owned and sold. Including a lot of other mesa gear, Hughes & Kettner gear, Marshall etc.

The Mark IV is truly a legendary amp...

The best tone my fingers have ever produced was from a Rhy1 with a Keeley Katana Clean Boost, Keeley Compressor, and a DL-4 in the loop with just a hint of delay with a slight modulation.

The Mark IV responds to volume controls better than any amp I've ever owned but compression can change how that works...

Latest posts

Back