I test drove the new Express 5/25 !!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enigma

Reaction score
You'd all better watch your wallets!!! I believe Mesa has another winner in the making.

Express 5/25 is powered by EL84 with 1 x 10 Black Shadow speaker. 2 channels: Ch.1 - Clean/Crunch; Ch.2 Blues/Burn. Each channel has a contour knob - shapes the tone similar to tone or "cut" dial on a Vox. Each channel has its own Reverb!

I tested out with my '89 Strat. First, the clean channel was just outstanding. Crystal Clear and surprisingly big headroom. The cleans are way better than LSS, but just short of LC - the cleans have more natural presence on the Express. The crunch, blues and modes all produce awesome array of driven tone from touch sensitive blues to downright gritty and piercing tone.

Since, I was at a store w/o a loud room I wasn't able to crank it, but found these tones dripping with GRAILTONE even at low volumes.

I'd say this amp is better than LSS!!! I'll have to see how it takes humbuckers.

And, the bonus is this amp is smaller than a Mark I and 1/2 the weight.

My only wish was that the footpedal had "lead" and Road King like pedal board so I can tap into all 4 modes at will.

I am VERY IMPRESSED! 8) 8)

Price : $1,050. I can't wait to try out the 5/50 ($1,199)

please NO more about the express series before I cry.....I want one and I live on a shitty island called britain(scotland) and I wont be able to for probably a whole year..............................AHHHHHHHHHH

enigma said:
You all better watch your wallet!!! I believe Mesa has another winner in the making.

Express 5/25 is powered by EL84 with 1 x 10 Black Shadow speaker. 2 channels: Ch.1 - Clean/Crunch; Ch.2 Blues/ ____. Sorry, the name of the other mode escapes me for now, but it's the full tilt distortion channel Each channel has a contour knob - shapes the tone similar to tone or "cut" dial on a Vox. Each channel has its own Reverb!

I tested out with my '89 Strat. First, the clean channel was just outstanding. Crystal Clear and surprisingly big headroom. The cleans are way better than LSS, but just short of LC - the cleans have more natural presence on the Express. The crunch, blues and modes all produce awesome array of driven tone from touch sensitive blues to downright gritty and piercing tone.

Since, I was at a store w/o a loud room I wasn't able to crank it, but found these tones dripping with GRAILTONE even at low volumes.

I'd say this amp is better than LSS!!! I'll have to see how it takes humbuckers.

And, the bonus is this amp is smaller than a Mark I and 1/2 the weight.

My only wish was that the footpedal had "lead" and Road King like pedal board so I can tap into all 4 modes at will.

I am VERY IMPRESSED! 8) 8)

Price : $1,050. I can't wait to try out the 5/50 ($1,199)

you test drove one, and did not leave the store with one ????

my dealer had one of each, both were gone within 2 hours
I got to test drive both, I took the 5-25, perfect home amp
the 5-50 was gone an hour later

The 10 inch speaker gives it a lot of bite, I also plugged into
my Deluxe Reverb cabinet with a Jensen C12k, Awesome tone

the settings are clean, crunch, blues and burn. And burn it does
it does everything, really impressed by this amp

The cleans are diff than the LSS, but I am quite fond of the 5 watt LSS tone

The burn, is "much" more of a screamer than the LSS, seems a lot tighter

I'm not worried. He has several coming his way. Plus, I want to try it with humbuckers. I can't believe the tone and headroom the 1x10 produces. So impressed!

I'd give a nod to LSS for the 5 watt setting, but that's it.

enigma said:
I'm not worried. He has several coming his way. Plus, I want to try it with humbuckers. I can't believe the tone and headroom the 1x10 produces. So impressed!

I'd give a nod to LSS for the 5 watt setting, but that's it.

the burn channel with humbuckers is psychotic
still sustains even after it's shut off

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'll have to give it another go tomorrow at lunchtime. Tone is yummy! But, I might have to wait for the next batch.

The manager was drooling over the fact that he was going to Christen it after the store closes - that means this particular 5/25 will be blasted 8)

Yeah. I'd like to know too. I just bought an F-50 and curious to the tone difference.

polaris20 said:
what's it like High gain-wise? Can it do a decent metal tone?

Definately does Rock, I'm not Joe Metal, so I prob shouldn't comment

The biggest diff between these and the F-50 is the 5 watt and adjustable contour

Wow! Great comments. Keep em coming please as I was considering lifting a LSS and now I'm not so sure with some of you claiming better/ comparable tone and more versatility with the 5:25!

I am curious to hear how they compare to the F-Series

AND

How decent of sounds can be had on the 5 Watt setting at lower volumes. Not bedroom quiet, but not piss off the neighbors loud

The cleans especially reminded me of the F series, but with more depth, claraity and warmth and without the harshness. It has such a presence - I think the Black Shadow speakers really make the difference; it's presence is very similar to my Mark I Reissue which also has the Black Shadow. Plus, the cab is deep producing great headroom.

I didn't really get to test out the 5 watt setting, but the 25 watt even at low volumes produced "full" palette of tones.

I'm definitely getting one!

enigma said:
You'd all better watch your wallets!!! I believe Mesa has another winner in the making.

Express 5/25 is powered by EL84 with 1 x 10 Black Shadow speaker. 2 channels: Ch.1 - Clean/Crunch; Ch.2 Blues/Burn. Each channel has a contour knob - shapes the tone similar to tone or "cut" dial on a Vox. Each channel has its own Reverb!

does it came with a footswitch?? what it controls?? (changing channels, reverb and each contour??)

Yeah, I hear ya. I would think that an effects loop switch or possibly a solo switch would make more sense. It might be that re-engineering the footswitch and amp would have been cost prohibitive and would have increased the price to consumers. Also, it may cause too much competition to the higher end amps that Mesa offers.

Overall, it looks like a great package at a fairly reasonable price, with improvements on the F-series. I hope to be able to try one out and see if I like it better than my F-50. I got a call yesterday from Guitar Showcase in San Jose and they said that they had 2 of each combo come in.

The Nomad series had an awesome foot pedal w/ "lead" switch which the 5/25 foot pedal doesn't have - that's a shame! I love the lead switch - obviously the reason for it is there's no pre-gain volume. But, that's the only negative I can come up with. I'm still buying one soon!

Latest posts

Back