I test drove the new Express 5/25 !!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monsta-Tone said:
Why do they have to waste good resources on a Reverb footswitch? I've never needed one. I just set it where I want it and play.

On my Cornford Hellcat, the footswitchable reverb is indispensable. I love reverb on a clean tone, but HATE it on my overdriven tones. Being able to just click it on/off is brilliant. I know quite a few players who feel the same way. Perhaps they were thinking along these lines when they designed that aspect of it?

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't even use Reverb on my dirty tones, only the cleans.

I would rather have seen a solo function or switchable modes though. It seems like it would be more handy. I bet it would give the more expensive amps a little too much competition though.

I just bought a Rectoverb2 from guitar center 1 month ago and am really kicking myself for rushing the purchase. The blues channel on the Express sounds like the exact thing I was looking for.

Dammmit, and it costs $500 less then my ROV....

On the plus side, I am very happy with all the sounds I'm getting. I need to pretend this new amp never happened.....

Brewski said:
Hey Monsta, It's a 3 button footswitch. Channels 1 & 2, Contour, and Reverb.

huuum, that's really not good, cause it will not avoid tap dancing . . . cause if you're on ch. 1 w/o contour and wants to go directly to ch2 w contour you'll have to step on 2 separated switches (unless they're close enough to be hit with only one step . . .)

:D Good thing I wear size 13 shoes! :D

I used to use an ADA MP-1 and the buttons were so close together that I had to play barefooted. Try playing on a concrete floor in a bar with a huge mosh pit. A little bit scary. Our roady used to stand right in front of me and push people away.

I read in a guitar mag that somebody died from using an old tube amp and playing barefooted on a wet concrete floor. Kind of crazy.

Vigo1999 said:
huuum, that's really not good, cause it will not avoid tap dancing . . . cause if you're on ch. 1 w/o contour and wants to go directly to ch2 w contour you'll have to step on 2 separated switches (unless they're close enough to be hit with only one step . . .)

I was under the impression Contour is either footswitchable or channel assignable.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

It says, "Assignable/footswitchable." I'm not sure what that means. I think that it means that each channel has it's own knob and that the entire function is footswitchable.

They don't have the manual listed yet.

I didn't see a picture of the back of the amp either, but I was in a hurry. There may be a switch on the back that assigns it to ON or Footswitch.

Maybe somebody who owns one can chime in and let us know.

Never mind, I just looked a bit closer at the pictures. It shows a switch for each channel on the front that says, "ON, OFF, Footswitch."

Guess I should have been in less of a hurry.

Vigo1999 said:

You can make each channel contour on/off/footswitch

so if you want the footswitch to control contour only on gain
you setnthe gain contour to footshitch, and have the the other channel to "on" of "off"

which is what I do, Channel 1 is contour always on, channel 2 is contour footswitch
and the contour does act like a nice little boost, gets it screamin, I have the knob for full contour

really diggin this amp

I just went down and saw both versions of the Express. Cool Amps! I got to play the 5:50 and it's similar to an F-50 in some ways, but the 5w class A is a very cool feature. You get that warmer halo of harmonics. It has an excellent clean and although, not a rectifier amp, it is a high gain amp on channel 2. I like the different settings from clean to burn. It's very versatile. I'm most partial to the clean and blues settings, but I only had a few minutes to try it out. The reverb is much better than in the F-50. The adjustable contours are very cool features, as well.

I didn't get to try the 5:25. There were other customers demoing other amps and didn't want to wear out my welcome, so I gave more time to the 5:50. The 5:25 as described is smaller in size and is pretty lighter in weight. It's very transportable. Even though the 5:25 is more narrow, the cab is just as deep as the 5:50.

In short, I'm sold. It's just that money thing that is standing in the way!
One of the nice things is it's simplicity. It has two channels, and it also has a great tone. I like 6L6's, as I've said on other threads. You can practice, record, and gig with these amps very easily. I think that this combo is a winner!

For you Bay Area guys, go check these out at Guitar Showcase.

I got to try the 5/25 with a Les Paul today, and the 1x10 didn't take the humbuckers as well as the single coils for obvious reasons. And, it took a little more tweaking to get the tones I wanted. All in all, this little booger of an amp is PERFECT for midnight practice and 500 seat venues with a mic.

PS. While at the store the manager goes, "guess what just came in? . . . Marshall JVM head!!!." :shock: Of course, we had to plug her into a Marshall 4x12. Holy Cow Batman!

Now, I'm in a real trouble :roll:

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the great reviews. I can't wait to try/buy this amp, however it will be at least 4 weeks before the dealer in my town will have any in stock. Can someone please please post some clips of the 5:50 or the 5:25?

Thanks,
Yarzo

im planning to get the 5:25 guys for a bang around tube amp.. i think it would do really good.. but i just wanna know to those of you who owns a 25 or less watt amp, is it gonna cut through mix in band rehearsals with a loud drummer? no mic of course. i suppose the clean channel is gonna run out of headroom huh?

5/25 seems loud enough. The question is can the 10" Black Shadow handle it. I'm planning on using this as a HEAD; having an excellent speaker is just a bonus.

You could always replace the speaker with a Weber high power series. I have Webers in several of my amps and am a dealer for them. You can't go wrong with them. You just have to make sure that you call Ted and tell him what type of tone you are looking for.

willrock said:
im planning to get the 5:25 guys for a bang around tube amp.. i think it would do really good.. but i just wanna know to those of you who owns a 25 or less watt amp, is it gonna cut through mix in band rehearsals with a loud drummer? no mic of course. i suppose the clean channel is gonna run out of headroom huh?

I have a 5/15 watt tube amp with a 10" Celestion 10/100 speaker. It's fine for practice and such, but it would have trouble running with drums without being mic'd. A bigger cab would help. The cleans are where it would suffer the most, as it breaks up early. Comparing this amp with the Boogie is probably comparing apples and oranges, so I don't know if that helps you with your question.

I've heard a friend play his 20 watt rack mount Boogie (I'm not sure which model it is) and it can cut through the mix, but he was using 12 inch speakers with it.

thanks guys. i tried using F30 with a loud drummer and it did fine. i dont know why mesa would reduce the power of express to 25 instead of 30 like the f30, knowing that they have the same el84s

willrock said:
but i just wanna know to those of you who owns a 25 or less watt amp, is it gonna cut through mix in band rehearsals with a loud drummer? no mic of course.

A 25 watt or less amp will be drowned in band rehersals, you will need to mic it or get somethig bigger. Remember you'll also have bass and possibly a second guitar and vocal.

willrock said:
thanks guys. i tried using F30 with a loud drummer and it did fine. i dont know why mesa would reduce the power of express to 25 instead of 30 like the f30, knowing that they have the same el84s
Interestingly enough, the F-30 is actually rated for 22 W, so if the Express 5:25 is really 25 W and the 10" speaker has the same 100 db SPL 1 W / 1m sensitivity (big ?), then they should have about the same volume capability.

I use a dual 6V6 amp for rehearsal and gigs through a Marshall 4x10 with my Wolfgang and have never had a problem cutting through the mix.

Seriously considering the 5/25 for a grab and go amp.

Latest posts

Back