I test drove the new Express 5/25 !!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely going for the 5:50, but I think I'll be going for the head instead. I just can't bring myself to part with my Avatar 2x12 closed back with V30's. I can only imagine how this thing will sound through it.

enigma said:
I got to try the 5/25 with a Les Paul today, and the 1x10 didn't take the humbuckers as well as the single coils for obvious reasons. And, it took a little more tweaking to get the tones I wanted. All in all, this little booger of an amp is PERFECT for midnight practice and 500 seat venues with a mic.

PS. While at the store the manager goes, "guess what just came in? . . . Marshall JVM head!!!." :shock: Of course, we had to plug her into a Marshall 4x12. Holy Cow Batman!

Now, I'm in a real trouble :roll:

Hi, what store are you talking about? Perhaps I may live near there?

polaris20 said:
I'm definitely going for the 5:50, but I think I'll be going for the head instead. I just can't bring myself to part with my Avatar 2x12 closed back with V30's. I can only imagine how this thing will sound through it.
I'm also going for the 5:50 head and 2X12 cabinet. I haven't decided on the cab yet though. From past experience a head / cabinet is more versitile than a combo as you can use different head/cab configurations.

I go to Dibella music in Bergenfield.
they also have the Marshall JVM head. I must say this amp might turn me onto Marshalls though I'm a Mesa loyalist!

My buddy allowed me to test drive the 5:25 at my home, and here's my quick but better take on the amp.

First, the Ch. 1 breathes better than the Ch.2, and both the clean and especially the crunch mode are just right on!

The Ch. 2 in either Blues or Burn mode has more compressed voicing. I've found it to mimick the Vox AC30 which I like.

With a Strat all four modes work well. With a LP I found the blues mode to be useless; but w/ a Strat it's great for U2 like tone. The Burn channel reminded me of Nomad voicing. I can get a smooth and rich lead tone that's very Santana like. And, it can also produce Brian May tone (Queen).

By far the best mode is the Crunch mode in Ch. 1. It's great for rhythm and lead tones, and the lead voicing is very articulate and pronounced

The problem: I cannot go back and forth with the crunch and clean mode since the foot pedal operation is very limited. It's too bad!

I played the amp through my 2 X 12 recto w/ celestion V30s. It sounded so much better.

But, the Crunch mode in the Ch. 1 is almost enough to justify the purchase!? I just wish the foot pedal was more versatile.

Latest posts

Back