I made a Thiele....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketiov

Reaction score
I finished it about a week ago. I just took some pictures, but I didn't have very good lighting... Maybe I'll some better pictures up tomorrow if there's some sunlight.

dsc01428sy1.jpg

dsc01429xp0.jpg

The grill is cut out from a 2ft by 2ft piece of security grade expanded metal. Yes, that is what these metal grills are called. It took me forever to find that out, and after I did I easily found it.

The cabinet itself is made from regular plywood. Cost me 50 bucks for it and for the guys at the hardware store to cut it into the right sizes.

I got the hard from some website I found out about here. Corners, two handles, and the four rubber feet.

I painted the whole thing with truck bedliner. Works real well - it seems pretty durable, but I didn't get enough of it.

The grill cost $36, the plywood $50, the hardware $30, the bedliner $20, and the speaker $160. So total 300 bucks for the whole thing. But I still have enough plywood and grill for another cabinet and a head cabinet, which I will probably making soon.

That kicks ***. And sounds like it was the right price!

Will a EV SRO 12" fit in a standard Thiele cab? I have 2 of them, and wondering about making some cabs for them. Used them in every amp I have had until now, once with 1 in amp and 1 as a single and a ext cab, and then both in a Peavey renown 400.

Been thinking of making some cabs for them to run 1 with each amp. I know the EV12L replaced the SRO in production, and the SRO is a considerably larger speaker (magnet wise).

What is the depth of the cavity for the speaker? Might find some plans and make a couple for myself.

Stephen

I can not get excited about it.

Gee it is sad to be the bad guy here... (sorry) I am genereally NOT like this. I suppose I should not post when I have had too many Gin/Tonics

I have been buying EV12L loaded Thieles for $225 to $265. I have 7 so far. Original in pristine condition. I will keep buying them just to have them. That is said to let you know the market for the genuine article. I think you have too much money in the product you ended up with.

Perhaps the beauty of making it, makes it good. I suppose I may as well say that I do not like the finish and especially the grille. If it were tolex and a clone grill of mesa I would be better about it all.

Where are you at with this? Perhaps how it sounds is all that matters. I could understand that I suppose...

How are you picking up these thieles at such a low cost? What am I missing? I have been looking high and low for them, to no avail. Am I an idiot? Let me in on your secret!

Mellowtronic said:
Well how does it sound?!
It sounds good to me :p The bass is definitely different. Better.

I also forgot to mention that I lined the inside with the foam stuff you put under carpet. It changed the sound for the better, since I played the cabinet both with and without the foam.

GIG4FUN said:
I have been buying EV12L loaded Thieles for $225 to $265. I have 7 so far. Original in pristine condition. I will keep buying them just to have them. That is said to let you know the market for the genuine article. I think you have too much money in the product you ended up with.

Each time I've seen a Thiele for sale, they were going for over 300 bucks. The exception was here on the board, but that was 265 plus shipping.

The one cabinet did cost me 300 bucks. But, if I were to make another one, I have to only spend another 30 bucks for the hardware and 20 for the bedliner, since I already have enough plywood and other materials for it. It would cost another 150, so total 200, if I were to get a used speaker of of eBay, as I did with the one that is currently in the cab. But I already have a speaker in the combo that I might just put into a Thiele.

As for the ones you bought being pristine - I don't want something I have to baby. I want (maybe even need) something I can just toss into the trunk of a car, and not worry about it getting scraped or anything. The metal grill I also tested to be pretty heavy duty... I kicked it (without the speaker in the cab yet, mind you!) and hurt my toe, but the grill itself stayed were it was supposed to. So "m confident that the speaker is safe, where as I wouldn't be with the regular Mesa grill cloth. Also, tolexing seems like a pain in the ***.

Basically, I don't think you're being "the bad guy." It's just that a lot of guys here are tone junkies that want their gear to look and sound good, and don't take it out of their home much. That's why GTS's cabinets are so nice looking. If I had one of his cabinets, though, I'd be worried all the time whether it was getting touched by anyone...

StephenF said:
What is the depth of the cavity for the speaker? Might find some plans and make a couple for myself.

10 inches of space on the inside, way more than enough for the 12L. The plans I used are here, but I did modify the dimensions to accommodate the combo on top.

Mellowtronic said:
How are you picking up these thieles at such a low cost? What am I missing? I have been looking high and low for them, to no avail. Am I an idiot? Let me in on your secret!

Ebay :) I have seen many really good deals there. I was loaded (drunk :oops: ) when I wrote that last night so it's a bit "off". Three of the seven had Celestian 90's and I had to "re-load them" with EV's. I had been buying up EV12L's at every turn for many years too. I did get another nice Thiele 12L loaded off of the bay just a few weeks ago for $250 plus shipping. The deals are definately there to be found. They are "buy it now" and the mesa boogie logo era.

I am going above top kill most of my previous post. I gave an uncalled assesment that is unfair to the OP. I offer my sincere apoligy.

edit** Shoot! I am so sorry that I didi not remove or change my post before you read it and commented.

I commend you for your understanding and words of reason. You are a great guy that has my respect. I humbly ask for your forgiveness. I should have just moved along rather that write someting so out of line.

ketiov said:
Mellowtronic said:
Well how does it sound?!
It sounds good to me :p The bass is definitely different. Better.

That's what I wanted to hear! Nice! I really want to get a Thiele to fortify my MKIII a bit. it sounds awesome, but I want a little more thump that a combo just won't do.

GIG4FUN said:
Mellowtronic said:
I am going above top kill most of my previous post. I gave an uncalled assesment that is unfair to the OP. I offer my sincere apology.

edit** Shoot! I am so sorry that I did not remove or change my post before you read it and commented.

I commend you for your understanding and words of reason. You are a great guy that has my respect. I humbly ask for your forgiveness. I should have just moved along rather that write something so out of line.
Chill, man. It's all good. :p

Latest posts

Back