I got my IIC back from Mesa... Mike worked wonders on it!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark III Madness

Reaction score
I've owned at least one of all of the "Mark" series over the years. But, I never ever had a Mark IIC+. I've had for years this Mark IIC that someone made into a "++". When I bought it years ago, I thought it would be the best.

Well, it was too much. I loved the dirty channel, but the clean channel was useless. So, I decided to send it back to Mesa to have Mike B. work his magic and turn it into a Mark IIC+.

I'm sooooo thrilled it did it. Now I've finally got my own Mark IIC+ and I just keep wondering why I didn't do this a long time ago! Thank you Mesa Boogie and Mike B. for being committed to keeping the older amps you made rockin'! :D

Has anyone else experienced a 'IIC++'?

I sure wouldn't recommend it if you value a nice clean channel.

I found out some interesting stuff about my amp too. I guess it started life as a 'HRG', but someone had it changed to Simul-Class along the way. I also benefitted from Mesa's glut of X101 transformer at the time mine was built. It has no voltage selector, but came with the X101 anyway.

My 'mutt' Mark definitely sounds bigger than the sum of its parts. Essentially, I get a 'DRGX' with voltage selector missing for way less dough than a 'real' one.

great... yeah you'll be grinning for a while! I never played thru a ++ though i'd like to see what it's all about. Probably can get most of the way there with a C+ and a clean boost out front. I have read about the ++ mod being switchable so the clean channel isn't wasted.

scott

Mark III Madness said:
Has anyone else experienced a 'IIC++'?

Everything that I've ever heard about a "C++" is just as you described. I have ZERO interest in even hearing one. How in the world could someone think that this mod is a good idea? There has got to be a better way of increasing gain, than screwing up a masterpiece. :cry:

zodiac272 said:
great... yeah you'll be grinning for a while! I never played thru a ++ though i'd like to see what it's all about. Probably can get most of the way there with a C+ and a clean boost out front. I have read about the ++ mod being switchable so the clean channel isn't wasted.

scott

Having owned and experienced the '++' mod, I do think having the ability to make it switchable would be cool. But, I now know if you think you need more poop outta the lead channel than a '+' will give you... You probably don't. I promise! Hahaha!

I am enjoying using a pedal for my 'crunch' tone that would usually be 'R2' on a Mark III. If I truly want the amp to sound like it is going to blow up, I can employ it on the lead channel. :lol:

Back