I couldn't resist! Maybe a new STICKy post

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a casual buyer/seller, I can't understand why they initiated the "positive only" feedback rule for sellers. Doesn't make much sense to me...

Dave

thindave said:
As a casual buyer/seller, I can't understand why they initiated the "positive only" feedback rule for sellers. Doesn't make much sense to me...

Dave
Yeah me too.

If this is the case might as well do away with the feedback altogether for its now biased (no pun intended)

thindave said:
I think the problem was that buyers were afraid to leave negative feedback, even if it was deserved, as the seller would then leave them negative feedback in retaliation. I'm not saying it was right, but I for one like it.

Lets say, for instance, it took a seller three weeks to ship an item, and when it arrived it was in a condition other than how it was described. Now, if the buyer leaves negative feedback, what can he expect in return? Negative feedback, regardless of whether it was deserved on his part or not.

It does, however, have its drawbacks, particularly with the non "immediate payment through paypall" auctions.

EleventhHour2139 said:
thindave said:
I think the problem was that buyers were afraid to leave negative feedback, even if it was deserved, as the seller would then leave them negative feedback in retaliation. I'm not saying it was right, but I for one like it.

Lets say, for instance, it took a seller three weeks to ship an item, and when it arrived it was in a condition other than how it was described. Now, if the buyer leaves negative feedback, what can he expect in return? Negative feedback, regardless of whether it was deserved on his part or not.

It does, however, have its drawbacks, particularly with the non "immediate payment through paypall" auctions.

Previously eBay would let you respond to negative feedback. I've never heard anybody actually complain about retaliatory feedback under the previous system. I have 105 positive feedback on eBay at 100% positive.

My policy is to not give feedback to a seller until he gives me feedback. As soon as the auction is over and I hit paypal immediately and pay for my purchase, the seller has no legitimate reason not to give + feedback. What other responsibility do I have toward the seller than to pay in a timely manner? I do recognize that eBay's current policy is unfair to sellers and I feel there should be some way to give deadbeat bidders the recognition they deserve, but it's hard to imagine how someone posing as a buyer could rip anybody off. Unfortunately there are scam artists infiltrating the ranks of honest sellers and we actually saw one exposed on this very board in the last couple of weeks. Having never sold anthing on eBay, I would like to hear a sellers thoughts on this subject, however if you think I'm an ******* well ... I got two ex-wives so I've already been told :D

P.S. For what it's worth, I have never had a bad experience with a seller and never left a neg feedback.

Xqzdust said:
My policy is to not give feedback to a seller until he gives me feedback. As soon as the auction is over and I hit paypal immediately and pay for my purchase, the seller has no legitimate reason not to give + feedback. What other responsibility do I have toward the seller than to pay in a timely manner? I do recognize that eBay's current policy is unfair to sellers and I feel there should be some way to give deadbeat bidders the recognition they deserve, but it's hard to imagine how someone posing as a buyer could rip anybody off. Unfortunately there are scam artists infiltrating the ranks of honest sellers and we actually saw one exposed on this very board in the last couple of weeks. Having never sold anthing on eBay, I would like to hear a sellers thoughts on this subject, however if you think I'm an ******* well ... I got two ex-wives so I've already been told :D

P.S. For what it's worth, I have never had a bad experience with a seller and never left a neg feedback.

It's funny because most sellers I know wouldn't leave positive feedback until the buyer left it. If I give you positive feedback, and the post office loses the item, what's to keep you from giving me negative feedback, even though I did everything right?

It is very easy to scam as a buyer. Let's say I buy an item from you, and I tell you I want to cheap out on the shipping to save some cash. You think this sounds like a fine idea, I have good feedback, and you agree. I paypal you the money, you send me the box straight USPS. Then in seventy or eighty days when you've forgotten all about it, I file a paypal claim saying I never received your box. You don't have any proof you ever shipped it to me. Paypal gives me your money back.

This happens a lot apparently. Don't ever give someone something in person if they paypal you the money.

Xqzdust said:
My policy is to not give feedback to a seller until he gives me feedback. As soon as the auction is over and I hit paypal immediately and pay for my purchase, the seller has no legitimate reason not to give + feedback. What other responsibility do I have toward the seller than to pay in a timely manner?
Xqzdust
I chuckled to myself when I read this! You are 99.99% right. Although at first I was thinking 100%. A few years ago I was getting rid of a fair amount of gear over the course of about 6 months. So I was on the sellers end. Someone paid me and I shipped that day and left feedback right away. I stopped quickly. Because the buyer did not live up to his or her .01% obligation, to leave me feedback! I would send an email reminder after two weeks or so, some would do it but most would not. I currently have 100% positive 52 of them but it should really be 61, the result of buyers just blowing me off. So future actions I would state something like “ when you receive your item please leave feedback this will tell me you received your item in good condition and I will leave you feedback within 24 hours, if item is not received in satisfactory condition please contact me first.” This seemed to work out good for me as a seller. Guess there is no perfect answer???

Unlike your X-wife x2 I don’t think you are a $$$hole. :D

Back