How's This For A Mark IV Cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bshizzle

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a Avatar 2x12 closed back with dual V30's and swapping one out with my EVM speaker. How would this setup sound with the Mark IV? Thanks

Cool I was hoping the good low end of the EVM would mix well with the singing high end of the V30.

Bshizzle said:
I'm thinking about picking up a Avatar 2x12 closed back with dual V30's and swapping one out with my EVM speaker. How would this setup sound with the Mark IV? Thanks

I wouldn't do this. The EVM has lots of low end but it's also very bright . Basically, it just has a lot of everything. +1 on getting a CL80 instead. I have EVMs in my cabs right now and I am thinking of going back to a CL80 in one of them. That was what I had before I got my second EVM, and I remember it sounded better--less harsh.

You guys are talking about the Celestion Classic Lead 80 right? How is it different from the V30?

I read on the Avatar site that the C80 only comes in 16 ohms, how would that wire up with my 8 ohm EVM? Wouldn't that create like a 12 ohm load?

The CL80 is MUCH smoother, once it's broken in. It doesn't have quite as much definition or cut but it has a a bit more bottom end. (My original speaker load was one CL80 and one V30.) People use some V30s in metal cabs because most modern high gain amps pump out so much bass anyway that you need something to provide definition. With an EVM in there, definition is the last thing you need to worry about.

I bought 8-ohm CL80s from them last summer. That may just be for the 2x12 cab, so you get an 8-ohm load with 2 speakers. Call and ask. If that's the case, just tell them you want 8-ohm anyway and that you know what you're doing... or see if you can just get one speaker.

edit: I realise I used "smooth" which is one of those stupid tone terms which means different things to different people. What I should say is that CL80s are much more balanced across the high-low spectrum than V30s, which have a very pronounced upper-midrange frequency boost.

hey, hijack time, I have an avatar 4x12, what's the main difference between a mesa 4x12 recto standard and the avatar 4x12 sound-wise? I'm looking into possibly getting a mesa cab if I'm convinced enough...

And so I'm not completely hi-jacking, I would say go for the V30/EVM, if you dont like it, you can always change out speakers (assuming money isn't a factor), or ask jim(I think thats his name) at avatar what he thinks you can do with your EVM in terms of combinations, he's very helpful.

Actually, man, I was gonna bust open one cab tonight and put the CL80 back because two EVM12s was overkill. I'll try the V30 first and let you know what it sounded like. I can't post clips because my recording gear and my rig are in different places.

Ok, do any of you guys know if you can run a 8 ohm speak with 16 ohm speak in a 2x12? I need either and 8 ohm cab or a 4 ohm cab, cause the Mark IV has one 8 output and two 4 outputs.

Have any of you guys played around with any of the Thiele cabinets?

Bshizzle said:
Ok, do any of you guys know if you can run a 8 ohm speak with 16 ohm speak in a 2x12? I need either and 8 ohm cab or a 4 ohm cab, cause the Mark IV has one 8 output and two 4 outputs.
You can, but it will be a (safe) mis-match @ 5.33 ohms total load. The 8 ohm speaker will be considerably louder than the 16 ohmer. It's actually drawing more watts from the amp than the 16 ohm speaker. If the 8 ohm driver is brighter or more efficient or has a higher power rating, the loudness discrepancy will be even more apparent.

An EVM 12L is 300 watt, 100 dB SPL, 80-5000 hz.
A Vintage 30 is 60 watts, 100 dB SPL, 70-5000 hz.
They're actually pretty similar but for the power rating.
Even at the same impedance rating, EV is going to sound louder 'cause the V30's high end is going to roll-off as the volume increases, whereas the EV will remain nice 'n crisp. At low levels the EV sounds "brittle", or too bright, to some.

Thieles sound better even when empty!

Bshizzle said:

I have one of my 2x12 half back cabs with the EV on the closed bottom and the V30 in the opev top. It doesn't sound bad. I recently got one with 2 EV's but havent really pitted them against one another as I'm running them both at the same time. The V30 gets a little more grit but it does not seem to be as fat sounding. Of coarse I'm speaking as to my 50 caliber plus, I alway's run my IV with the EV's.

IMHO, I'm not a fan of the C90- I think they sound very sterile. 2 EVs/G12K100s/etc...would do the trick. MK series Boogies don't skimp on amplifying any particular frequency- and the MKIV and other Boogies with GEQs are quite adept at shaping your overall tone. If you're after a speaker for its feel, you've forgotten that the tone knobs in these amps are responsible for that! I'd stay away from speakers that add too much color in the same way I'd avoid pickups which do the same.

I reckon you've been playing through cabs that colored the MKIV's tone to such a degree, you are now looking for another speaker to compensate. In reality, a well balanced speaker such as the ones I've suggested above would allow you to change the tone to your liking without pigeon-holing you to a few compromising settings. The speakers above (and others of their type) can handle pretty extreme volumes and EQ settings with ease and won't distort.

Of course there are other speakers that work well with amps like the Recto, but it's because their coloration fills in the absent frequencies and helps balance things out. The MKIV is a well balanced amp and would benefit from speakers that can faithully reproduce it without distorting- unless you like speaker distortion.

Just my .02uf

Latest posts

Back