how much gear is too much?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if you use it and enjoy it and it help you create then it's not too much.

But...I saw this guys site one time and he had pictures of all his guitars. There were probably 50 guitars. Now he is a "professional" guitarist. You wouldn't know him by name though. There were guitars in his collection that he said he had only played a couple of times. Personally I think that is sad to have so much gear that you barely use it especially when it's a nice instrument. It's sad that a beautiful instrument gets locked up in a case and people don't get to hear the quality of workanship that went into it. It's like buying a Van Gogh or Picasso just to put it away in your basement and go down to look at it every few months.

Turumbar82 said:
I think if you use it and enjoy it and it help you create then it's not too much.

But...I saw this guys site one time and he had pictures of all his guitars. There were probably 50 guitars. Now he is a "professional" guitarist. You wouldn't know him by name though. There were guitars in his collection that he said he had only played a couple of times. Personally I think that is sad to have so much gear that you barely use it especially when it's a nice instrument. It's sad that a beautiful instrument gets locked up in a case and people don't get to hear the quality of workanship that went into it. It's like buying a Van Gogh or Picasso just to put it away in your basement and go down to look at it every few months.

I feel the same way . . . i dont like to buy something just for the sake of buyng it and put in a glass box and just keep staring at it :?

especially when you know that's some wonderfull gtr players out there that cant afford a good instrument . . . nonsense to me . . .

It depends on whether you are a player or a collector. Players can have too much gear but collectors seem to never have enough. As a player if you are not using a piece of gear you own to make music then it is too much gear in my opinion. Each player has a different time frame for that. For me if I don't use a piece a gear in a 6 month period then I feel guilty for owning it. At that point I should either start using it or sell it. I tend to collect pedals and have a few I haven't touched in a few years. But I only have two amps which I use weekly and 2 guitars that I rotate between.

There are a lot of people who claim to be guitar players out there that in my opinion are just collectors who know a few chords and scales. They are more into the gear than the music.

Additionally, I'm raising 3 boys alone & they never want for anything. Of course it helps to have a great paying job, but as long as they have a roof over their heads, my bills are paid, retirement growing, & we have reliable transportation, everything else is called disposable income.

My philosophy is SAVE HALF... SPEND HALF. Always has been, always will be. You can't take it with you folks, but you should certainly be able to enjoy this short life if you can. Sure, you can work your *** to the bone & will everything to your wife & kids but WHY? Raise them right & they'll be prepared for their own productive life.

What I really can't stand though is all the guys I run into that has to ASK their wives for permission to buy themselves something. BS! Especially if both of you work & bring incomes in. I'd recommend talking big expenditures over like a new car.. but I'll be damned if I don't run this show. My dad never asked my mom if he could buy a new truck. If he thought he need one, by god, he'd go out & get himself one. He always kept my mom in a new car though so he knows how to run things. Grow a nut man! :eek:

When is it to much?

I got 4 guitars.

Jackson Rhoads US RR2772
Fender Stratocaster one off hybrid build

Yamaha FG 160-1 6 string acustic
Jasmine 6 string acustic

When ever I get 1 guitar more than that 1 gets sold.

The strongest stays and basically that goes for all my gear.

The desire for 100 guitars are not really present hwen I think about it all though a few guitars do come up as being cool to buy when money permits.

So whatever I need is enough.

Back