How does petrucci get that.......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercurialuk

Reaction score
Hey, all i wanted to know how the hell petrucci get thats amazing really "Dry Crisp" Distortion sound, was just listening to their new track "Constant Motion" very metallica, but good, i know that was recorded with a Mark, but my question is, can anyone help, me i have a triaxis 2:90 g major and boss gt pro,

Is it a case of using a EQ to get that really dry sound? If so anyone be able to help me? using g majors eq perhaps,

Or even if i dont need that and someone has a really dry crisp distorion using the Tri and 2:90 if some one wouldnt mind helping me with settings?

Can anyone help me out would be much appreciated

Cheers guys,

Chris

My settings

LEAD2 YELLOW

gain = 8
treble = 6
middle = 4
bass = 0
lead2 drive = 8
master = 8
presence = 6
dv = 0
output L & R = 8

2.90 MODERN

output L & R = 5 (0-10)
presence = 0

GMAJOR EQUALIZER

freq 1.000

octave = 4

Evolution pups.

Stock Mesa Tubes

MARSHALL 1960B 4X12 cab

Rack.jpg

:wink:

Surely a great production and all his expensive setup help a lot, but however I suppose the sound coming directly from the amp is 90% of his tone in most of the cases. Mics do their part too, if I remember well he stated he use both a Shure SM57 dynamic and a Sennheiser (e609? can't remember...) condenser at the same time.
I've got no direct experience with a Triaxis, but from the clips and the live performances I've listened to it seems to me that Triaxis can't exactly nail MarkIV and MarkIIC+ tones (these are the amps used on the last album I suppose)... however I know there are people here who own/owned both triaxis and markIV, so they could better compare the two.

If Triaxis can't exactly nail MarkIV and MarkIIC+ tones it's a matter of feeling, our brains hear different things from each other.
TO ME triaxis can nail it but better, it's programmable . :wink:

Thanks for the settings man, i'll give them a blast. Cheers for the replies im well aware the triaxis isnt a mark, i was more just wondering if anyone knew how to get a sound like this, the settings posted have helped alot, im not very well up on the gmajors eq etc, hasnnt it got 3 parts to it?

how do you use it for the other freq, or can you turn them off?

Also wow what the octave doing??

Cheers again its much appreciated!

mercurialuk said:
how do you use it for the other freq, or can you turn them off?

Also wow what the octave doing??

Could you take a look at its manual ? :wink:

If you want that classic JP chug-a-chug...

JP said he'd dial it into what his tone was going to be and then always DEcreased the gain a little bit. He played with the minimal amount of distortion he could get away with, to keep the rhythm tight and reactive.

His explanation was that it had to sound like hitting a fridge with a lead pipe.

I think the settings above have too much gain and will turn into a huge compressed mush. When you first dial in the settings below you are probably going to think "this sounds weak" but the more you force yourself to use it the better you will appreciate it's raw tone and dynamic gain. Remember most of your playing finesse and style are in your fingers so don't use gain to mask that up.

here is something like what i have for a raw setting:

LD2 Yellow
4-7 Gain
3 Tre
0 mid
3 bass
0 ld1 dr
3-5 ld2 dr
4 mas
7 pres
3 dv

effects loop = off

Master volume knob (set to taste)

290 settings:

all modes off(they just add noise and ruin the tone from the Pre. I only use them for low level practice)
Master = 50- 100%(setting the volume higher here prevents you from distorting the preamp tube inside of the 290)

Prescence = 100% (this power amp is dark enough as it is so even at 100% it is a little dark)

Speakers:

Mark series 212 with C90 up top (open back) and EVM 12L on bottom (tuned and ported closed back).

My speakers are very clear and much flatter than V30's so the settings might not quite do it for ya if you're using a traditional british speaker.

You really should experiment with each control. Go from max to min and see what it does to your tone.

Greg

Oh, and another thing. Adding a lot of treble adds gain and saturation which will get you farther away from what you're looking for. Good luck!

Greg

4Draw said:

JP said he'd dial it into what his tone was going to be and then always DEcreased the gain a little bit. He played with the minimal amount of distortion he could get away with, to keep the rhythm tight and reactive.

His explanation was that it had to sound like hitting a fridge with a lead pipe.

+1
Lowering the gain will also open the door to a new world of tone. A subtle "M" shaped eq setting (if you have a 5 band) helps too. I can get it fairly easy, but I've got a smaller power section. My guess is that the power amp is overdriven just a bit. Half power on the 2:90?

Thanks guys this is helping me out alot, if only i wasnt in work gurr! The more opinions the better! :lol:

Oh and also "18&Life" got a question for you, i have a very similar set up to you both pickups cab equipment etc, you got any clips of your beast in action?? would love to hear?

Chris

18&Life said:
If Triaxis can't exactly nail MarkIV and MarkIIC+ tones it's a matter of feeling, our brains hear different things from each other.

One of my biggest beefs with the Triaxis is that there is no getting inbetween parameters. You are stuck with the selected differences between each increment. Granted it is still better than what the JMP-1 I had can do but I just prefer being able to barely touch a knob and get that perfect change of attitude.

Russ said:
18&Life said:

One of my biggest beefs with the Triaxis is that there is no getting inbetween parameters. You are stuck with the selected differences between each increment. Granted it is still better than what the JMP-1 I had can do but I just prefer being able to barely touch a knob and get that perfect change of attitude.

That's why you must own all of them.........triaxis, Mark II, III, IV, Quad, Studio pre, and Recto.

:)

Greg

4Draw said:

I will agree 110%. Reactive=Dynamic. Too much preamp gain on rhythm tracks would be too compressed, resulting in a "mushy" tone. Utilize as much power tube compression as possible, it is adjusted with pick attack. :D

here's my pedal board of death, people think i use this board for changing effects and different amps channels and amplifiers, but these are the different presets i use to kill people. this one releses killer bees from the foot stands beside me. this one chile terr which means chinese man jumps form the roof and slice you face open, this one is a mime below the audience floor, blows up people.... tonight id say about 20 thoushand people will die.

and whenever i do this i go into world domination mode. and that means i can play over 4 million notes...but i dont play that fast because people die yea....

disassembled said:
That's why you must own all of them.........triaxis, Mark II, III, IV, Quad, Studio pre, and Recto.

:)

Greg

Oh great... That's all I need. I spend more time with my gear now than with the ol' lady because of my gear purchases. Imagine if I owned all that... I'd be permanently in the dog house. :lol:

I was fooling around with my Quad and trying to get a tone line on the two released tracks from Systematic Chaos. Putting a tubescreamer or the like in front with most of the knobs at 12:00, then backing the drive down so it's just a little driven on the clean channel, then adjusting the output level so it's a bit louder than normal seemed to make my rhythm channel sound closer to the record. I know in the video of TDEN, you can see him using a Zakk Wylde overdrive.

dmt said:
here's my pedal board of death, people think i use this board for changing effects and different amps channels and amplifiers, but these are the different presets i use to kill people. this one releses killer bees from the foot stands beside me. this one chile terr which means chinese man jumps form the roof and slice you face open, this one is a mime below the audience floor, blows up people.... tonight id say about 20 thoushand people will die.

and whenever i do this i go into world domination mode. and that means i can play over 4 million notes...but i dont play that fast because people die yea....

when i first started reading this i had the WTf look on my face... but once it got to the killer bee part i knew exactly what you were quoting.... one of the funniest youtube clipi've scene.... have you caught the yngwie "I AM YOUR NEW GOD" clip??

as for the petrucci tone.... i would play around with the post eq on the triaxis..... i think that might be the most brilliant functionaility in the triaxis.... changes the tone so much and lets you shape it just right ..... anyway try different post-eq settings on the triaxis.... the tone is in there... you just have to find it

Latest posts

Back