How do you guys set your clean channel on your IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been trully happy with the clean on my IV.

When I first got my IV, I hated the clean channel. It sounded very bland and did not have much character. The cleans on my Mark IIC & Mark III blew it away.

I like cleans that are more chimey and have some depth. I was able to improve my clean significantly by lowering the clean (ch1) channel volume. This made the clean more chimey and closer to the Fender clean tone. I also did some preamp tube swapping which hekped a little too.

My IIC and III's still have better clean channels, and I'm still not completely satisfied with the clean on the IV, but it's much better than it was before.

[edit]
2x6L6 + 2xEL34
Full power/simul/triode/harmonics
[/edit]

R1/R2 settings:

- R1 gain = 3
- R2 gain = 6 (pulled)
- R1 Treble = 6
- Bass = 3
- Mid = 6
- R2 Treble = 6
- R1 Pres = 5
- R2 Pres = 5

R2 is a mild crunch which can be boosted into distortion territory with a decent overdrive. This sounds like heaven when I use my P90 LP and my jazzmaster.

visualrocker69 said:
I heard that switching two of the 6L6's for EL34's really smooth out the lead tone but have an adverse effect on cleans... is there any truth in this?

Yep
The clean channel gets a bit darker and will break up a bit sooner with the gain up. Although its a good sound! Depends what you want, .like anything else. R2 sounds change a bit also you can get more gain out of the channel.
I use to run the 6L6 EL34 for years. But have just lately returned to (4) 6L6 I'm useing SED's that I got from www.dougstubes.com and have never been happier with my amp. But have a feeling down the road will try some 6L6 EL34 with SED's.
I love changing up the power section from time to time!

Ok here we are:

Tweed/Simul/Triode/Midgain

R1 Gain: 7
R1 Treble: 5
R1/R2 Bass: 2
R1/R2 Mid: 6
R1 Pres: 4
R1 Vol: 7

Eq sorta like this:
markiveq.jpg

enjoy.

Living_justice Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:27 am Post subject:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
tuna what pickups you using?

visualrocker69 Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:51 am Post subject:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuna please don't say EMG 81

No, no EMG81's for me. :lol:

I have a bunch of guitars with a variety of pickups, and they all sound kind of bland through the IV's clean channel. I'm a big believer that particular guitars (and pickups) are better suited for particular amps. I have some guitars that sound great through one amp, but like crap with another. Probably the best sounding guitars through my IV are my Guild Starfire IV (335 type hollowbody) and my Telecaster Plus (Lace Sensors). With these guiitars I'm most satisfied with my clean. I'd still like it a little more chimey though.

I bought the IV used, so I don't know how old the power tubes are, so that may have something to do with it too. One of these days, I'll try putting in some fresh ones to see if it helps.

One of the main tricks to get the best out of MkIV, is to keep the master volume at least abive 3, somewhere between 3-4 is my main territory. To balance this I don't go that hi on the channel volume, definitely not up to 7.

plat! mid gain wats the go!

i run my clean bright and clean without the Eq..i have a delay auto come on the clean channel to..i woun't call it juicy as my mk III but it's got it's own sort of twang to it..

Kjelle said:
One of the main tricks to get the best out of MkIV, is to keep the master volume at least abive 3, somewhere between 3-4 is my main territory. To balance this I don't go that hi on the channel volume, definitely not up to 7.

I keep the clean vol at 7 to balance out how loud my Lead channel is. If I were to keep my R1 on 3 it would sound terrible when balanced with my other channels. It's all in how you set it.

Shep, I didn't understand what you meant? Did you mean 'way to go' ? :)

I didn't say I keep the R1 channel volume on three, I meant the Master volume between 3-4. Then I adjust the channel volumes to the preferred volume. I don't have the amp in my place, but if remeber correctly, R1=4-5, R2=2-3 and Lead=4ish

If I run the master around 1-2, my tone is weak and definitely not singing. Even the clean channel sounds better the louder it is, but me and the croud have to be in the same place, so there are limits.

Kjelle said:
I didn't say I keep the R1 channel volume on three, I meant the Master volume between 3-4. Then I adjust the channel volumes to the preferred volume. I don't have the amp in my place, but if remeber correctly, R1=4-5, R2=2-3 and Lead=4ish

If I run the master around 1-2, my tone is weak and definitely not singing. Even the clean channel sounds better the louder it is, but me and the croud have to be in the same place, so there are limits.

Ah, I keep my master at 2 due to volume constraints so I end up maxing the channel volume out to get the tone I'm after. Whatever works :p

Haha, I was just saying that you would have to be one of the only people i have heard to use the mid gain.. don't you get huge amounts of sqeal and feedback?

Shep said:
Haha, I was just saying that you would have to be one of the only people i have heard to use the mid gain.. don't you get huge amounts of sqeal and feedback?

nope :)

Latest posts

Back