How do I get this tone???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys new to forum not sure if I'm posting in the correct section. However, I am a lead player in a heavy rock/country band similar to Jason Aldean/ Brantley Gilbert. I am a die hard Mesa fan and recently purchased a new Mark V 90 due to the diversity of the amp. I know I can get this tone just such a steep learning curve for me and cant figure it out. If anyone is an expert with this can you tell me what you think would resemble the distorted tones from this song. I play on a telecaster so I can get brighter tones but I believe this guy is playing a Les Paul. Only pedal I use is analog delay and a compressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZLUohDCGo

I'm thinking its probably crunch but If can pull it off in Ch. 3 that would be awesome!

I would say Channel 2 Crunch or Channel 3 Mark IV mode. But since you're playing a Tele, most likely you'll find that Mark IV mode has the gain you'd want for this. The great thing about the Mark V is that with the graphic EQ you can really dial frequencies in or out, so you can really change the way your Tele sounds if you want it to be more like a Les Paul.
You wouldn't want to approach the V like you would any other amp (except for other Boogies). Let's take Channel 3 Mark IV mode as an example for now. You'd typically want the Bass control way low, like 3:00 or even lower if you need to, because turning it up will just make a flubby low end. The Treble control in this channel also adds gain as you turn it up and you'd typically want it quite high (well above halfway) to have a nice fluid lead sound. Mids you should adjust to taste and Gain should be fairly high up (like almost all the way up). One of the most important controls for me however in this mode is Presence - even a tiny little turn on this knob can totally change the high end sparkle content, so be careful with it.
You might want to use the graphic EQ too for a final tone shape and clarity. In this case, the first two sliders can go fairly high up, bringing in the bass you dialed out with the Bass control. The mid slider is the most powerful of all, you might find that you want to use it to scoop some mids out, because the V is a quite mid-heavy amp. The last 2 faders are your real Treble controls, adjust to taste. Leaving them in the middle or boosting them just a little might give you that Les Paul-ish tone even from a Tele.
These are just basic guidelines, I'm still figuring this amp out, too, but I absolutely love everything that comes out of it. Channel 2 Crunch can give you similar lower gain results while also being a little spongier. Also, I like to use the amp in full power 90 watts because I find it really has the most clarity that way. Channel 3 should also be set to Pentode in the back, Triode is smoother and not as ballsy :)

I also use Telecasters, a compressor, two MXR Carbon Copys and a Cry Baby. A Blond 52 reissue with noiseless telecaster pups ( bunch of other things have been done, it's a very hot guitar ) and a three pickup Nashville custom with 2 Tele noiseless bridge and neck with a strat noiseless in the middle. Also hot rodded a bit and my main guitar. To get things to sound how I like it I open up the "Main Output" turn down the channel volumes and drive it a bit hard. For many tunes and Jason Aldean tunes I use channel 3 on "Extreme". I use the 3 pickup Tele with both the bridge and middle pickup to add a little string snap and bottom. Using the bridge and middle pickups also gives more dynamic volume control. Volume pot at about 70% for rhythm and opened up for leads. Keep the delay for fatness in back of the overall tone and kill the reverb. I use Tweed with the Bold, Ch 2 Crunch and Ch 3 Extreme bright is off. We play everything, Neil Diamond, Dwight Yokam, Elvis, Storyville, Matchbox 20, Jason Aldean, Clapton, Judas Priest, Lit... I mean everything. If we see a hat out in the crowd, Garth Brooks...

As a Telecaster player I have also found that using the boost at the same volume as the main output or just a little under (doesn't matter) allows things to breath for a heavier feel this also helps leads sing and sustain. I work in a three piece so I don't have to boost volume.... no competition to be heard. 90 watts on all channels.

Aldean's guitarists use Triple Rectifier Boogies so you can come close enough. I suggest for "She's Country" work on getting your guitar to sound good with the drop D and you will be right in there. With a drop D I do suggest pushing the mids. It's the song not the tone. 99% of people listening to your band, can't hear. Be careful dialing in the tone for one song you can make the channel suck for other tunes that may not have a drop D. Remember to let the bass player be the bass.

Just a thought, pull out the manual again and go over the "Treble" influence over the "Mid and Bass" page 35. It might help you figure out how to get what you are looking for.

Back