"Highway Star"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
"Highway Star"

here's an updated version of this cover of a classic Deep Purple tune.
i did this for fun.

kudos to Xenophile, for all the keyboard work and drum programming.
I did all the Vox, Guitars and Bass.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2302&alid=-1

or

http://tiny.cc/IfxLN

320kbps MP3, for stream or download (download is best)

ok, a quick background on this recording/mix:

i posted this a long time ago, couple of years maybe....
i switched from the roland VS platform, to sonar.....
and this was the very first recording i had ever put together in SONAR.

so, now that i've got a couple of years of recording using the sonar platform, i thought i'd re-visit this one, using whatever tricks for mixing i learned, or thought i'd learned, for a more modern sounding mix.

i re-recorded the rhythm guitar, which i was never really happy with. originally, it was done with a Demeter Isolation cab, for the new rhythm guitar track, i used my current guitar setup shown here:
gtrrig1small.jpg

--using a Palmer PDI-09 as the interface between amp and preamp.

signal = mesa mark2b >>speaker out to PDI-09>> thru PDI-09 to weber attenuator>>speaker cab
>>from PDI-09>>A Designs Audio MP-1 mic pre>> DBX MC-6 compressor>>Maudio audiophile 192 card>>sonar.

Keys:
when Xeno first sent me his files, i thought the keys sounded pristine.
then, i started really listening to the original mix, and realized that jon Lord's keys in that, are WAY dirtier than the tracks xeno laid down..
so i had been searching for a way to 'dirty' them up...
and tried unsucessfully, the first time round, to find any plugin (freebies) that did what i wanted.
well, i recently found out about the Voxengo Boogex VST.....and i tried it, liked it.

- i used it on the keyboard tracks (only the main one, not the two other harmony tracks and organ fills)

i liked it so much, i put it across the lead vocal as well.

i'm interested to know how this mix is translating on anyone else's playback system(s)
thanks!

ok, no comments, figured i'd better try another mix.

"Highway Star" at soundclick:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=661726&songID=8729638

this is a new re-mixed version--updated sunday feb 7
i'll leave the original mix up for a couple of days....

Maybe this song is too old for this crowd ? ..... I for one agree with Stu .... It sounds better than a lot of "pro" recording I have heard.

Sounds good! .....really good. Was that the Carvin on this as well?

I just ordered a new p/u for mine.......a TB4 (jb) creme & black to match the originals.

I like the track....ya dun good.....and one of my favorite all-time songs.....brings back memories of seeing them live in Milwaukee in 1974.
One LOUD concert! :shock: :p

Later... :)

Man, i really like your singing!!! 8) the intonation and screaming are just like Ian!!! impressive.

as for the mix, the rhy gtr could be a tad lower on the solo (and im not quite sure if Ritchie does some galloping as well, i think he did straight notes - long time dont hear the original -, but hey, forgive me im being an ******* here. 8)

i like the tone and the playing is top notch, as usual.

and yes the keys are to hi-fi for my tastes (the playing is flawless btw), since Jons plugs his moogs through some Marshalls to get those crispy and raunchy tones of him.

gonna listen to it later at home in some real speakers tho, sure it will be even better.

Careful guys.....gonzo's gonna get a swollen head......(not that one....get your mind out of the gutter! :lol: )
It's inflating....pphhhfffftttttt, pphhhffffttttt, ppphhhhfffffftttttt......bigger, bigger......KA-BLAM!

Ohhhh nnnooooo, .....brains and talent everywhere........what a mess....(get any on ya?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.....really do like the track......could not resist razzing you! :p :p :p :p

Later! :D

Old BF Shred said:
Careful guys.....gonzo's gonna get a swollen head......(not that one....get your mind out of the gutter! :lol: )
It's inflating....pphhhfffftttttt, pphhhffffttttt, ppphhhhfffffftttttt......bigger, bigger......KA-BLAM!

Ohhhh nnnooooo, .....brains and talent everywhere........what a mess....(get any on ya?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.....really do like the track......could not resist razzing you! :p :p :p :p

Later! :D

man, we really have some crazy cool mofos here :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

stephen-
thanks for listening..

"Maybe this song is too old for this crowd ?"
man, i hope not.
a lot of folks would be missing out on the original then, which would be a shame.

old BF-
this was not the carvin, in the spirit of the original, i used my custom USACG strat:
strat1lv4.jpg

yeah, on DP: weren't they considered one of the loudest groups ever in Guiness book of records?
LOL

Vigo-
thanks man, on the singing comp....
i aint no Gillan!!
but i dig listening to him, for a long time.
the 2nd mix, on SOUNDCLICK, should remedy the mix issues, and honestly, i didn't sit down and learn ritchies rhythm parts, i just kind of played them the way they felt, after some perfunctory listens at how he approached it.
i'm sure i stepped all over the original....
i think the keys being more hi fi, is in keeping with what i wanted to be a more modern sounding reading of the original tune.
gotta listen to this on a big system or monitors, i didn't mix it to listen to thru little PC speakers.....

elpelotero-
thanks man.
i hope you realize, i did NOT play the solo note for note...
i changed the harmony parts, and played a completely unique, different and WRONG harmony solo part!!!
LOL

old BF (again)
LOL dude, trust me, i aint gonna get a big head,
there's way too many killer players around here for that......

I also had heard DP is one of the loudest....
And that ZZ Top is up there, too.

But the loudest levels I ever heard was when my old band opened for Keel at The Bacchanal (a small club known for booking major acts) in San Diego. This place was way too small for some of the bands they had, but the atmosphere was excellent so the big acts liked to play there.

Keel had stacks and stacks of Marshall amps & cabs. Total overkill. It was so loud we had to stuff cocktail napkins in our ears to stand the sound levels!
I think my ears are still ringing to this day! :lol: :lol:

I used to play at the Bacchanal years ago! Even did some live recordings there when I was playing bass in thrash bands.

RectoStudioGuy said:
I used to play at the Bacchanal years ago! Even did some live recordings there when I was playing bass in thrash bands.

Well totally cool!! :eek:

Then you know what I mean....a national Metal act bringing it's stadium sized stage rig to that place?!?!
Without a doubt, the highest sound levels I've ever been exposed to! :cry:

Maybe that's why Ron Keel turned country after that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saw Bruce Dickinsons solo band play there. The guitar player had a pair of JCM 900's with 4 4X12 cabs. Completely unnecessary but visiually over the top. (obviously what he was going for)

The Bacchanal was a club in San Diego, a great mid-sized club to see bigger bands as well as local. I'm not sure that it's still there, or that it can compete with Cane's in Mission Beach for bigger bands.

Loved it, i wassent born when higway star came out , but i still feel like head banging every time i hear it, very well excecuted.

Good stuff

cremona
thanks for checking it out.

i'll tell you, the live version, off of made in Japan, has got to be one of the most brutal live performances i've ever heard.
there's a wealth of vibe and riffage to mine from those old DP albums, but especially from MIJ

it's like a sonic mugging.

blackmore, was playing thru at least 2 full stacks of 200 watt marshalls.....
just pure volume.

it's brutal.

in an old school way....
blackmore_ritchie_old_scalloped.jpg

"What did you do to change your Marshalls?"

"I had an extra output stage built on. I have no bass at all on the amp. There’re an extra two valves [tubes] built into the output stage so there’s more output. It’s boosted to about 250 or 300 watts. I use the old 200- watt amps, which you can’t get anymore because they don’t make them.

Do you use 200-watt heads?

Yeah, which are boosted. They’re the loudest amplifier in the world on their own. I’m not saying I play the loudest – it depends on how many you use. But one on its own is the loudest. I don’t like to use a lot of cabinets, I think just two cabinets is enough; otherwise the sound is all around you. l like to keep away from the sound, and that’s why onstage I play to the left of it and point it the other way. Then I can get a perspective of what’s going on; otherwise all you can hear is yourself. And you tend to get feedback and overtones you don’t want.

Do you blow them very often onstage?

Yeah, all the time lately. I don’t know why. It’s the output transformer that blows up. It’s like a finely tuned car, you can’t expect it not to break down. I really push it.

I’ve always played every amp I’ve ever had full up, because rock and roll is supposed to be played loud. Also keeping the amp up is how you get your sustain. I turn down on the guitar for dynamics. I’ve also got my amps boosted. I know Jim Marshall personally, and he boosted them for me. It’s pushing out about 500 watts. I guess that’s maybe 1,000 watts in American ratings, but it’s all distortion. The people at Marshall said it’s the loudest amp they’d ever heard. I had an extra stage built onto it, and a couple more valves. That’s why every two weeks things just tend to disintegrate. The speakers really get pushed out. I usually go trough two, sometimes more, every two weeks. I only use one of my stacks. The other’s just a spare in case I blow the other up.

Learning to play with a big amplifier is a different thing altogether. It’s trying to control an elephant."

http://www.woodytone.com/2009/04/20/ritchie-blackmores-tone-and-more-part-1/

Oh! I've been there! Obviously not knowing it was formerly "The Bacch" Am I mistaken or has the bacchanal been in a few locations? I remember playing there once and vaguely recall being told it was the new location, but in those days I was usually in a particular state of mind that is not inducive to remembering much...so I couldn't tell. Just remembering it being larger than some other place that I had played...if that makes any sense. I do remember it having a pretty rockin' PA for the time.

Back