Hi there you guys, please help, im a noob

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of guy shere like the older Mark series 2x12, Recto 2x12 either horizontal or vertical, Avatar 2x12, or a Genz Benz 2x12. Cabs are something you just have to try. Speakers will also change your sound.

or you could go my way, which is a combo and a 1x12" extension cab. the used combo + cab cost me less than most used MkIV heads go for on ebay.

i wanted to be able to take just the combo to smaller gigs/jams, but then be able to stack it up for bigger gigs. honestly, you don't need a 4x12 to play shows unless your band is loud as hell and there is no house PA.

if you go with the compact combo, you could stack it on top of a closed-back ported Thiele cabinet. if you get a widebody combo, your only option is the 1/2-back cab

here's the setup i have going:

Yeah, a combo with an external 1x12 is a great way to go. When I had mine in the combo this is the way I had mine. The option of having the extra cabinet is nice. This makes it so you don't always have to play 2 12's. The Thiele cabinets are a nice complement to the combo.

i like the vertical slant 2x12 ext cab, i like the fact that sinse you have more speakers, your tone is much fuller. whats your experience with more than one speaker? does it make your tone fuller? it did with my last amp, i just haven't tried it on a mesa

i definitely find it sounding a bit fuller, especially in the realm of highs vs. lows, its nice to have a speaker down by the floor pumping some bass and one pointed up more towards ear level.

if you like the vertical 2x12, check out the older mark series cabs. the rectifiers come with V30s (not my favorite speakers)

Vertical 2x12's are nice because you get good dispersion. I like the older 2x12 better though because it just sounds better. The bottom is ported and the top can be open or closed.

Russ said:
Vertical 2x12's are nice because you get good dispersion. I like the older 2x12 better though because it just sounds better. The bottom is ported and the top can be open or closed.
im looking for the old ones right now and i cant find them, do you know where i can find one?

I had seen a few on craigslist here in Southern California last year. They pop up here and there. You can find them on e-bay once in a while too. Don't forget to check forum classifieds like here, the gear page, harmony central, etc.

You can post to the classifieds as Wanted or WTB also. Sometimes people get inspred to sell you their gems.

I have the combo, a 4x12, and a 2x12, so I have my choice of either just the combo, just the 2x12, the combo and the 2x12, the combo and the 4x12, the 4x12 and the 2x12, or the combo, the 4x12, the 2x12, and one of my 1x15 cabs. I can basically bring whatever depending on the sound I'm looking for and the size of the gig. I have brought out my combo with the 2x12 and 2 1x15's to a gig and it sounded killer. I cant wait to try with the 4x12, the 2x12, 2 1x15's and the head

Mark IV's don't have to be loud. Right now I'm using it in Tweed/Triode/Class A/harmonics. Great sound at low volume. Seriously.

I found this out and I've only had my MkIV for a day.

In the thread about best practice amps I posted Mark IV. Everyone else seems to think you need another amp.

anyone mind telling me what cascading gain is? actually right now would be a good time to ask this. Are there any terms you guys think i should know being a part of the mesa boogie forum? thanks!

Cascading gain just refers to how the distortion is created. The signal is amplified then reamplified then reamplified again as opposed to being created in a single event.

a cascading gain amp (well really the preamp) is one where if you have say, 4 gain stages, stage 1 "cascades" or trainwrecks really, into stage 2, and stage 2 into 3, and 3 into 4. this enables ridiculous gain levels at low volumes. as opposed to say, the preamp in a JCM 800. which is only a 2 stage preamp (being driven by a diode circuit) which then cascades into the power tubes. so you gotta crank the (even though its a master volume.) to get maximum gain. thats why the V1 tube in a mesa is so important. if there is any noise at all in the first stage, by the time it hits the power amp it'll be a full blown skull crushing whine

I really wish I could get people to listen to me that just cause its a master volume dont mean you dont gotta crank the beast to get all the gain outta it.

do mark IV's take well to effects? like pedals? o yea also is it better to go with rack effects? through this amp that is.

Back