Hi there you guys, please help, im a noob

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackmesa

Reaction score
so yea, i've been saving up to get a killer amp, at the moment i have $1500 at my disposal, what do you guys think i should use it on mesa wise. keep in mind that i have to have a lid on the volume and that im a gainiac. I LOVE the Mark IV but it seems way to loud. Is there anything else with the same quality tone that operates at a lower volume? thanks a lot, i really appreciate it.

Eddie

Did you know that you can cut the power of the Mark IV way down?

First you could try those settings above: Tweed, Triode, Class A

I can run mine like that at about 3 or 4 in my house without killing the neighbors. Granted that is in combo configuration. I probably wouldn't try that with a 4x12. Mine has the Mesa 420 6L6's.

You can also run 6V6's that have less output than 6L6's and EL34's. Make sure you read hte manual though before using 6V6's.

You could even run Yellowjackets. Those have EL84's.

Most of the gain you are looking for is in the preamp anyway. So a power change isn't that big of a deal at lower volumes. You do get to push the lower powered tubes harder though for the same amount of volume. With Tweed, Triode, and Class A your power across the amp is cut and how your power tubes are being powered in a way that they are not making as much output.

buy a triple rec, run in with gain, presence, treb, bass on 10, mids on 0, and the master at 1........

oh wait, thats if you wany to LOOK like a n00b.

mark IV is a good way to go if you can find one. all sorts of power options anywhere from like 10 watts to like 85. or you can buy my mark III, but the way I run it is about as subtle and well mannered as a shovel to the face

i never really liked tripple rectifiers, i don't know, they seem way to "sterile" to me. anyway i guess i'll just go with the Mark IV. One question though, can i use it as a head in the future and get a 4X12 and basically have a half stack?

yessir. thats actually what I am about to do with my mark III combo. I am gonna buy a shell off of Russ and run it as a 3/4 stack

Are you thinking of getting a combo?

By the way, the anser to your question is "Yes". If you want to rackmount it, make sure you get the short combo. If not, short and medium headshells are availible. If I were you, I would save yourself the hassle, and get a head and 1x12/2x12 now.

You can do exactly that. I have all the cabinets . I have a head shell, a combo cabinet, and a rackmount. It just depends upon how I am gearing up as to what the chassis goes in. If you want this option then get the short chassis. The combo is cool if you don't mind an open back cabinet. For $1500 you should be able to find a nice one. I would get a used combo though and get a used head cabinet too or vice versa. It might be easier to get a used combo cabinet than a used head cabinet. You might be able even swing a 4x12.

what is a head shell(pardon my ignorance) and whats the sound difference between an open back and closed back?

a head shell is exactly what it sounds like. the shell of a head. its just the wood cabinet the head is mounted in. as far as the differences between open back and closed back, the open back won't have quite the low end response of the closed back, and its not quite as punchy. but its lighter to carry around, and will stay tight

The head shell (cabinet) is the enclosure that your amp chassis sits in.

Open back gives you a little more sparkle while closed tends to be punchier and a little deeper.

The combo will be open back.

An extension cabinet can be open or closed back depending upon what you buy. You can even find convertible cabinets. I own a KK Audio convertible cabinet that is also ported like a Thiele. I would buy a Mesa Thiele but I don't really need it. The KK Audio cabinet is more versatile.

The combo can get heavy. I had mine in the combo cabinet with an EVM in there and it was seriously heavy. I would much rather carry a 4x12 than that little guy. The speaker magnet will givern how heavy your combo is.

Remember that the chassis itself is still a full service tube amp regarless of what enclosure so no matter what you have it is at least 40 lbs. Fortunately you can put removable casters on the combo.

just a question, i love the look of the brownish tweed looking one, is there any difference between that and the black one or is it just external matters.

If you are talking about the grille you can cover it in anything you want.

Buy the Mark IV. When you were trying it for the first time you probably had your Lead Channel or w/e volume set too high and thought the Master Volume didn't help. Thats the mistake I did. But anyway its not too loud so get it *****@!!!!!!!

fpoon said:
Buy the Mark IV. When you were trying it for the first time you probably had your Lead Channel or w/e volume set too high and thought the Master Volume didn't help. Thats the mistake I did. But anyway its not too loud so get it *****@!!!!!!!
haha i am, but now im trying to decide what to do about the cab, becuase i want to play shows and im assuming that i would need a cab, also i would like them besides that. any suggestions? 2x12...... 4X12 i think the 4 would be a little unnecessary. but then again i don't know much about external cabs

Back