Help with the finding of a Midi Equaliser

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Orange

Reaction score
Hello there, my friends!!!

First of all, let me start by wishing you a great and happy new year!

I am looking for a midi digital equaliser for my rack. Can you make some recommendations?

The ideea is I would like to store equaliser presets rather than just tune by hand the EQ. These presets would be used depending on the clean or distorted channel I am using or effects involved.

For the moment, I have identified the Behringer ultracurve 2496, but reviews show this EQ is not that reliable.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards,
JO

I use a Digitech MEQ dual14 graphic eq in my rig. It is stereo, has 128 programmable presets, has XLR, 1/4", and RCA in/outs. And can be controlled with midi. It's since been discontinued, but can still be found used relatively inexpensive. I've had mine for about 15 years now, and it's held up well to extensive gigging, and extreme temperatures. It's not the"best" eq out there, but it does the job nicely IMHO.

Instead of going with just an EQ why not go with a good effects processor that encorporates a good EQ section? A parametric EQ would probably be ideal than having 31 bands which would probably be a bit tedious to adjust (i imagine moreso in a digital realm).

For the price of a midi EQ you can probably get a good processor that has a good EQ section plus the effects would be like a free gift. I use the Digitech GSP1101 and it has a parametric EQ section.

Greg

Thanks for taking the time to reply, guys.

On Disassembled's post: I do own already an Eclipse as effect processor, so I would,'t want to spend more on FX.

My intention is to keep functions separated rather than in one single box. So, while probably more difficult to set up at first, I am still after a separated and dedicated Midi EQ.

Suggestions are welcome!.

Best regards,
JO

I agree that being able to have everything in an "all in one" processor would be great, but the problem that I have run into is latency. Reverb and modulation take alot of processing, and when you add the load of an EQ, it can be too much for a processor to handle adequately. With my Lexicon and Alesis processors, once an eq is added to the chain, it really causes problems with latency between patch changes.
As far as eq goes, If I were to get another, I would most definitly go with a nice parametric but they aren't cheap. Graphic eq's are a pain to set but still work fine. Really all depends on how much you like to tweak stuff.

John Orange said:
Hello there, my friends!!!

First of all, let me start by wishing you a great and happy new year!

I am looking for a midi digital equaliser for my rack. Can you make some recommendations?

The ideea is I would like to store equaliser presets rather than just tune by hand the EQ. These presets would be used depending on the clean or distorted channel I am using or effects involved.

For the moment, I have identified the Behringer ultracurve 2496, but reviews show this EQ is not that reliable.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards,
JO

I'm not sure where you are located, but there is one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rane-MPE28-Prog...ryZ23788QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dom

Thanks for responding Domct23. However, the Rane is however no longer produced.

Come on guys, none of you browsing this forum uses a dedicated midi equaliser?

Many thanks,
JO

John-- there really aren't that many made. I've been looking for one on and off for a while too.

Alesis made the DEQ230D for about 10 minutes; I'd have bought one if I could find one for sale.

CoG, indeed, is very difficult to find one.

This is what I came up with during my searches:

1. Alesis DEQ230D
2. Bheringer DEQ 2496 Ultra Curve
3. My personal favourite Ashly Protea 4.24G

I read the reviews for all these products and the Protea appears to be the best. The price is nevertheless substantially higher than for the other two eqs.

I will try to get the Protea in the near future.

Latest posts

Back