Please help me figure out how best to spend my money. MIDI?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUS

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have just a few very basic needs, and I am looking for the optimal bang-for-buck, as well as portability, tone, etc.. I figured you guys have spent a lot more money on gear than me, so you would know from experience.

I play guitar professionally for church groups. I usually have 2-3 paying gigs in a month. Contemporary church music guitar is heavily reliant on delay. I need to have at a minimum one delay setting per song, sometimes two or three delay settings per song. I almost always play to an in ear click track (or sequencing), so it is essential that my delay presets can be synced. I currently have a Boss DD-20, while I love the sounds, it has too few presets.

I also would like to introduce some modulation into my soundscape. Most importantly tremelo, which of course I would want to be synced with options for differing tempos throughout a set.

The complication here is that I basically want presets...where I can dial up a specified delay time, modulation, tremelo setting, and amp channel with one button. I am tired of the tap dance. There are simply too many variables to keep up with, especially when solo guitar starts the next song.

I also want to make my stage presentation as simple as possible, for these reasons
1) I have to set up and break down myself
2) Church folks HATE clutter on the stage. If you want to stay employed, keep it clean.
3) Some gigs want me to put my amp in an amp room. They supply a pre-routed 100' cord to the room, but I cant currently use it due to my effects loop setup.

Here are some options I am looking at:

*G major 2 in a rack, with a midi controller of some sort (Behringer fbc1010?)

*Eventide time factor/modfactor in a rack drawer, a midi relay installed in my amp for channel switch, and a midi controller like a midi buddy.

Each has their pros and cons.

Here is the gear I currently have:
*Pedal board for front of amp (Volume, cleanboost, overdrive, turbo tuner)
*SKB 6 space rack
*Mesa Express 5:25

I am basically looking to purchase:
*Furman power supply
*2u rack drawer + Eventide TimeFactor/ModFactor + Midi relay for amp
-OR-
Gmajor 2
*Midi controller

Can somebody help me out, here?

-JUS-

Well it really depends on what you are after. If you need a compact easy to use effects system with MIDI capabilities and the ability to control amp channel changing then i suggest a TC Electronic G System. They can be had used for around $800. If you just want effects that you can change with a dedicated controller and don't need amp changing or routing options then the G Major with a controller might be cheaper. With the G System you also have a built in boost and tuner so you can remove those items from the pedal board. Food for thought.

Peace, Joshua

Latest posts

Back